Jerome Bettis: Saints have MVP and DPOY (1 Viewer)

MrVoodoo

Coach J
Reaction score
• Somehow, a 4-0 record didn't have people convinced the Saints were the class of the NFL, but beating the Giants should do that, right? Could there have been a more convincing display of that fact?

Offensively, Drew Brees is my MVP, but let's consider this, too: Darren Sharper for Defensive Player of the Year. First, let me point out to anyone who missed the game that Sharper returned another interception for a touchdown. It was negated by a silly roughing the passer call, but it still happened. If it had stayed on the books it would have been his third pick-six and sixth interception in five games.

Think about how well he fits in New Orleans. The Saints offense is scoring boatloads of points, and their opponents are constantly in a hole -- which means they're passing desperately. That gives Sharper more opportunities to make plays in coverage. And when he does, he puts that quick-strike Saints offense right back in field position to score again. And so it repeats. Sharper for Defensive MVP.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jerome_bettis/10/19/week.6/index.html##ixzz0UZ1o03TE
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

I've got a huge man crush on Sharper this season like I'm sure many of you do as well. At this point in the season I kinda like him more than Ed Reed... disregard - I do like him a lot more than Ed Reed (At least for this season and in GW's defense)

I've got a huge man crush on Sharper this season like I'm sure many of you do as well. At this point in the season I kinda like him more than Ed Reed... disregard - I do like him a lot more than Ed Reed (At least for this season and in GW's defense)

Sharper was also extremely close to getting a "second" pick in the game as well, in the endzone.. Imagine if he had that pick-6 AND that second interception. Of course, in games there are tons of what-ifs.. but still. The guy is flat-out ballhawk..

Sharper was also extremely close to getting a "second" pick in the game as well, in the endzone.. Imagine if he had that pick-6 AND that second interception. Of course, in games there are tons of what-ifs.. but still. The guy is flat-out ballhawk..

he was getting close on numerous plays... i kept wanting him to get a pick 6 vs eli! but, this week he'll get a pick!

I'm not sure what the deal is, if the scheme is just allowing him to play freely or teams are forcing throws to try and keep up with us point-wise, but over 5 games now Sharper has been fantastic.

Its no 1 or 2 game fluke, he has been in position every single week to make a play on a couple of occasions. Like Bettis said, he's getting the Offense back on the field and with good position, which should be the #1 goal of this defense.

You have to wonder how long he can maintain this level of play. I was high on Usama Young this offseason but it sure didn't take long for him to be exposed last week when they sat Sharper with the lead. It just shows how rare it is for him to have a lapse in coverage. Not only is he making the big plays, he isn't giving them up on his side either. I don't see how you can ask for much more..

Sharper hits like Sammy Knight, has instincts like Sammy Knight, but he's 6'2", has hands for the interception, and can FLY once he gets the ball in his hands. Darren has found the fountain of youth in New Orleans.

GW had stated that he gives Sharper the leeway to wing it at will. He said that his job as coach is to pull him in if he starts getting out of hand but as far as he is concerned Sharper gets to do his thing until that time happens.

Yeah I'm curious how many years he has left in the tank - hopefully enough to get us a few rings :)

The team can call him "old man" all they want, as was referenced in the interview with him this past week. He still looks ripped and certainly, IF he has lost a step, it hasn't slowed him down much. Dude is a true beast in the purest sense of the word. No TC faux uber beast - the real deal!

I'm glad Bettis mentioned how ridiculous the roughing call was. Sure, it was "within the interpretation of the rule," but it's just an outright stupid rule, and, even given the rule, I think there are some refs who wouldn't have called it.

I'm glad Bettis mentioned how ridiculous the roughing call was. Sure, it was "within the interpretation of the rule," but it's just an outright stupid rule, and, even given the rule, I think there are some refs who wouldn't have called it.

Well, I'm holding Vilma more accountable than the rule or refs.

He's got to avoid that situation and in this case, it was a horrible, horrible play on his part. It negated a pick 6 that would've put us up 27-3 and blown the doors off the game in mid 2nd quarter. Gigantic difference between 27-3 and 20-10. I'm sure he, GW, and Sharper have discussed it and, IMO, he and the rest of the front 7 just have to have a little more faith in the secondary and pull up or just avoid the head on plays when they bring it.

I'd agree. At this point, if all the top individual accolades and prizes at the end of the year don't go to Saints players, it'll be a travesty.

Hopefully he has a few years and then we can keep him around to mentor Young and Jenkins.

First, let me point out to anyone who missed the game that Sharper returned another interception for a touchdown. It was negated by a silly roughing the passer call, but it still happened. If it had stayed on the books it would have been his third pick-six and sixth interception in five games.

The F word followed by ing + A!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom