Jersey Rules (1 Viewer)

UFCSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I saw someone posted some jersey rules below. It reminded me of an article from 4 or 5 years ago. Reprinted for your reading pleasure...

Let's face it. With the advent of Free Agency, a trip down to your favorite local sports shop is not as easy as it used to be. Remember when you were able to purchase your favorite player's jersey and feel confident that you wouldn't have to purchase another jersey until that player retired? Remember how you would proudly wear that jersey until the numbers had all faded off, the name was no longer recognizable, and the only thing left to distinguish your team's colors was the collar itself? (See Walter Payton or Joe Montana.) Well those days are gone. Now with free agency running more rampant than ever, you may be lucky to get a meager 3-4 years out of your favorite jersey. So to help all my fellow football fans out there with your purchasing choices, I have developed a set of rules - a guideline if you may - to ensure that your next jersey purchase blossoms into a long and healthy relationship.
<O:p
Rule #1 - Don't ever buy a throwback jersey. The concept seemed unique at the time but you'll feel a little silly sitting in the Sports Bar in a jersey that prompts people to keep asking you, "Which Arena team is it that you pull for again?"
Rule #2 - Try to avoid buying jerseys with the player’s name on the back. That way if they get traded or jump teams, another player might get the same number and you'll be safe.
Rule #3 - Avoid buying the same jersey as other members in your fan group. First of all you'll all look pretty silly sitting in your little fan group with identical jerseys. Secondly, if that player ever leaves the team, then you ALL have to buy new jerseys. And that's a lot of jerseys. Just remember, the more money you spend on jerseys the less money for beer.
Rule #4 - QB's are usually a good safe choice unless his name is Ryan Leaf or Jim Drunkenmiller..
Rule #5 - Lineman are a good choice. Any lineman who has a jersey made for him must be good and most likely will remain with the team (Unless your name is Willie Roaf.) Mean Lineman are even a better choice as not many people will make fun of your selection. Unless he does something crazy like make a raving, psychotic spectacle of himself on National TV by tossing a helmet.
Rule #6 - Don't ever purchase one of those "Put your own name on the jersey!" deals. It seems like a novel idea at the time but how novel will it be when your team loses that day and you find yourself trying to slink out of the place while having your own name taunted at you? Besides, any hardcore fan will know that the name you are proudly displaying doesn't belong to one of the team members.
Rule #7 - I know it's a lot of money but your best bet is to purchase an Official NFL Jersey. At least if the player does leave, the name is easily removed. Plus you could put a name like "Ryan Leaf" on an Official NFL Jersey and people would still say "Cool Jersey!" ... Ok, that was stretching it.
Rule #8 - Try to always purchase the "Home" version of the jersey. First of all, the darker color always appears more menacing. Secondly, your beer gut is not nearly as noticeable. And most importantly, nacho cheese, hot wing sauce, and beer are going to start looking pretty nasty on a white jersey around week 10.
I hope, in some small way, these guidelines will aid you in a smarter jersey purchase in the future. If ignored, the guys down at the local sports shop are going to really enjoy your annual business as they laugh at you behind your back. If heeded, these rules can save you lots of money (Remember - more beer), build your self esteem, and maybe - just maybe, land you that cute little waitress down at the sports bar that you know you would never get otherwise. The choice is yours.<O:p></O:p>

One of the best jersey ideas I've seen in a long time was in 06, against the Ravens. Some guy had an Aaron Brooks jersey. He took duct tape and added a 1 in front of the 2, taped over Brooks on the back and wrote Colston in a marker. I could not stop laughing at that. And what a clever idea to salvage a jersey.

One of the best jersey ideas I've seen in a long time was in 06, against the Ravens. Some guy had an Aaron Brooks jersey. He took duct tape and added a 1 in front of the 2, taped over Brooks on the back and wrote Colston in a marker. I could not stop laughing at that. And what a clever idea to salvage a jersey.

I was at a Falcons/Saints game once in the Georgia Dome and this guy was wearing an Atlanta Falcons Brett Favre jersey. I didn't know they had even made one for him while he was there.

I was at a Falcons/Saints game once in the Georgia Dome and this guy was wearing an Atlanta Falcons Brett Favre jersey. I didn't know they had even made one for him while he was there.

They didn't. It's a throwback jersey made after he won his second or third MVP award in Green Bay.

I guess it's the best the Falcons could do to get people to buy their jerseys.

I just bought a customized saints jersey that has my last name and the number 54 in honor of my mom who died last year at 54. she always watched the game with me every week and i will wear it every game day till it falls apart lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom