Jets Last Visit to Superdome (1 Viewer)

It was one of two games I ever attended in the dome and Turley cost us the game. Prior to that drive, our defense stopped the Jets twice on 3rd and inches and 4th and inches. What Turley did was inexcusable and the team went south from there.

child please

Poor Turley, he really got thrown under the bus for that one. One of my all time favorite Saints, one of my all time favorite plays.

Exactly, that was a terrible call (epic officiating failure), even though I didn't care for Brooks, the opposing player must have thought he was in a rodeo twisting AB head around like that.

Exactly, that was a terrible call (epic officiating failure), even though I didn't care for Brooks, the opposing player must have thought he was in a rodeo twisting AB head around like that.

I disagree, I think the refs handled the situation correctly. Both the Jets and the Saints received penalties regarding the actions in the scrum with Brooks, and Turley was 100% justified defending his quarterback. If that is the end of the play, then all is good, there's offsetting penalties that don't matter, and the team is still in a solid position to win the game. However, Turley decided to take it a step further with the launching of the helmet and the gestures to everyone, which resulted in one more penalty. Those actions were unnecessary IMHO. They weren't protecting Brooks, or in the best interest of the team, they were just Turley losing his composure which put the Saints in a tough position to win the game.

So while I, like most, believe Turley was 100% justified for defending Brooks like he did, there's no way to justify his actions post-scrum, which IMHO went a long way to preventing the Saints from winning that game.

If someone twisted Brees' head around like that, I would hope the other 10 guys on the field and perhaps some of the guys on the sideline would get off their butts and help him.

The embarrassing thing about this situation is that no one else besides Turley even tried to HELP Brooks. I'm not just talking about the retaliation--I'm talking about recognizing and stopping the incident itself while it was happening. Turley was the one that actually stopped it from happening.

Turley definitely caused us that game. If he could have kept his cool we would have had first and goal basically on the goal line. I think that play sums up the Haslett era

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom