Jets' Lito Sheppard & Donald Strickland not expected to play against Saints (1 Viewer)

kfran

TwoDat! Let's Do It Again
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Jets' Lito Sheppard & Donald Strickland OUT Sunday against Saints

NY Jets' Lito Sheppard, Donald Strickland OUT Sunday against New Orleans Saints

October 02, 2009

Jets CBs Sheppard, Strickland out vs. Saints
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) New York Jets cornerbacks Lito Sheppard and Donald Strickland have been ruled out for the team's game at New Orleans.

Sheppard, who has a strained right quadriceps, and Strickland, who has a high right ankle sprain, haven't practiced or played since being injured in New York's victory over New England in Week 2.

"I was hoping we'd be able to get them back and they are doing a lot better," coach Rex Ryan said Friday. "They're running, but they're not ready to go 100 percent. We think we could probably play them right now if we had to, but I don't think it's fair to them."

Dwight Lowery will again start in Sheppard's spot, opposite Darrelle Revis. Drew Coleman will likely see more action in Strickland's nickel role.
http://stats.nypost.com/fb/story.asp?i=20091002182208670000101&ref=rec&tm=20&src=NFL

Rex Ryan's Friday press conference - video.
http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/multimedia/video/1776-10-2-09-coach-ryan-press-conference

Last edited:
we onlt have 5 Cbs on the roster and 3 are down. wow
so were looking at
#1 revis (1)
#2 lowery (4)
#3 coleman (5)
#4 E.smith (back-up safety)
#5 ???????????/

i think we'll sign corey ivy if both can't go

I can hear it now.
Saints win 48-10 against injury riddled Jets backfield.
no respect.

we onlt have 5 Cbs on the roster and 3 are down. wow
so were looking at
#1 revis (1)
#2 lowery (4)
#3 coleman (5)
#4 E.smith (back-up safety)
#5 ???????????/

i think we'll sign corey ivy if both can't go

Bring someone from the practice squad? Any of your LBers can drop back in coverage?

I think the real impact here will be on the Jets blitz packages. Blitzes usually require single coverage on wideouts and, if I was Rex Ryan, I would not like one-on-one matchups against Saints WRs without Sheppard and Strickland in the mix.

I've got to believe Sean Payton is scheming this one for quick openers, tight formations, and rollouts. And the best news of all for Saints fans is that he will turn this plan over to Drew Brees, who will know exactly what to do with it.

I think the real impact here will be on the Jets blitz packages. Blitzes usually require single coverage on wideouts and, if I was Rex Ryan, I would not like one-on-one matchups against Saints WRs without Sheppard and Strickland in the mix.

I've got to believe Sean Payton is scheming this one for quick openers, tight formations, and rollouts. And the best news of all for Saints fans is that he will turn this plan over to Drew Brees, who will know exactly what to do with it.

If Brees can diagnose the blitzes pre-snap, we have the receivers to eat-up man coverage. Revis is going to be stuck on Colston I imagine, which is actually a bit of a mistake. With Shepperd/Strickland out they've got dime corners and worse covering the likes of Meachem and Henderson.

If Brees is comfortable and knows what's coming, I fully anticipate multiple big plays.

What i'm hoping is the Jets try a lot of overloads and we can find a way to get Reggie on the empty side of the field though :9:

I don't think there is any chance the Jets are going all-out blitz with man coverage against the Saints. Especially now that those DBs are down. I expect to see a defense alot like the Bills had and it will be another grind it out type game for the Saints. If so, the Saints have the running game to win but it is going to require patience on the part of the offense and gameplan.

I don't think there is any chance the Jets are going all-out blitz with man coverage against the Saints.

I have a hard time believing they won't. That's the defense and mentality Rex Ryan has been preaching, what they've won with, and what they will continue to win with after this game. A season is bigger then one AFC/NFC matchup.

The Jets come out and do what their defense does best. Obviously there will be quite a bit of game planning going on, but it'd be a mistake to think they're going to completely alter their style from the first 3 games just for us.

I have a hard time believing they won't. That's the defense and mentality Rex Ryan has been preaching, what they've won with, and what they will continue to win with after this game. A season is bigger then one AFC/NFC matchup.

The Jets come out and do what their defense does best. Obviously there will be quite a bit of game planning going on, but it'd be a mistake to think they're going to completely alter their style from the first 3 games just for us.

I agree.....the Jets will blitz a lot! But how about our blitzing? Our D can blitz just as effectively as their D....question is..is their rookie QB up to take advantage of the man coverages behind it?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom