Jets' Revis jetting into elite class of feared cornerbacks - article (1 Viewer)

No matter if Revis is that good or not, the fact remains that he is ONE MAN. They will be playing a second or third string CB on the other side and they are hurting in the secondary in other areas as well.

Revis may indeed shut down his man, but if Drew just finds the open guy (which he normally does), then it won't matter.

Revis has been playing well. He has gone against some top competition this season and has looked like a shut down CB. I do not think it is wrong to give an opponent or one of their players credit, particularly for being a stud player for them.

Very well said....

As much as I don't care if Revis is good or not, KC Joyner was on the radio last night saying Revis has the best production of any CB so far this year. Just FYI.

i know Revis is a damn good corner, but to say he's as good as Nmandi isn't even in my eyes worthy of being considered at this point. He has played very well this year, but to take 3 games and compare him to someone who has been doing that for years is ludicrous. That's like saying Mike Bell is reaching Adrian Peterson stratosphere because he has rushed for the same amount of yards before he was injured.

I'm not taking away anything from Revis because in other post i have said he is "playing like" a top 5 corner right now, but Nmandi is the best and i need to see at least a season of this before i go crowning anyone. Revis was "good" last year but no one was mentioning him in that caliber.

Rex's Raven defense last year had complete no names at cornerback, and still shut down the opposition's passing game to the tune of having the 2nd best pass defense in the league (behind the steelers).

Having Revis is just gravy for Rex

Having Ray Lewis, Bart Scott, Ed Reed and Landry in the defense certainly helps.

Here's the deal. Your defensive unit has been playing this style for the better part of 2 months ( live action ). Our offensive unit has been playing this style for the better part of 3 years. Its going to come down to game plan and execution. Payton's mo is to dictate the defense with our offense. Rex's job is to have his defense dictate our offense. This ought to be a real challenge for both and cant freakin wait til 3:05 pm....

Rex's Raven defense last year had complete no names at cornerback, and still shut down the opposition's passing game to the tune of having the 2nd best pass defense in the league (behind the steelers).

I think Revis is a great young cornerback, but don't downplay what Ryan had to work with in Baltimore:

Ed Reed, Ray Lewis (may be old, but he still brings it), Haloti Ngata, Terrell Suggs.

As for CBs Fabien Washington and Samari Rolle aren't too bad.

Having Revis is nice for Rex and all, but can you honestly tell me that you think this jets D is as talented as the product that the Ravens put out last year?

Hopefully Sean Payton forces him to matchup on Henderson and they test out his hamstring.

Nothing Payton does can force that matchup (except sitting Colston, I guess). Revis follows his man, he doesn't play a side.

i know Revis is a damn good corner, but to say he's as good as Nmandi isn't even in my eyes worthy of being considered at this point. He has played very well this year, but to take 3 games and compare him to someone who has been doing that for years is ludicrous. That's like saying Mike Bell is reaching Adrian Peterson stratosphere because he has rushed for the same amount of yards before he was injured.

I'm not taking away anything from Revis because in other post i have said he is "playing like" a top 5 corner right now, but Nmandi is the best and i need to see at least a season of this before i go crowning anyone. Revis was "good" last year but no one was mentioning him in that caliber.

They were - check his stats last year, particularly completion % allowed; KC Joyner had him just behind Nnamdi and Corey Webster for the best year by a CB

All this talk about Revis, and he can only cover one receiver! Ok, he will probably be on Colston. Assuming he can cover Colston, Brees has other targets that are faster and just as dangerous. The only thing that I've been hearing is Revis and that's about it. Well we have plenty more playmakers on O than they do on D.

Revis has been playing well. He has gone against some top competition this season and has looked like a shut down CB. I do not think it is wrong to give an opponent or one of their players credit, particularly for being a stud player for them.

I choose to reserve the "credit" for AFTER they play the SAINTS. We play them this week and personally. I'd rather not hear how "great" any of the opponent's players are this week.

Colston should just chill out within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage and throw Revis on the ground all day. Jam FTL (i realize that this is very unrealistic, but I'm not worried about revis). Who cares if they shut down colston, our strongest weapon is the fact that we can, and always, do spread the ball around.

Revis, in many ways, reminds me of Malcolm Jenkins. Or maybe I should say that the other way around. Both are tall, rangy corners. Not blessed with elite speed but play fast and have very long arms. Revis is a physical corner who gets a great bump off the line of scrimmage and utilizes his hands really well. He is very fluid out of his breaks and knows how to stay on the inside shoulder of a receiver. I see similar traits in Malcolm, and can only hope that he, too, will blossom in time the way that Revis has emerged as one of the league's better cornerbacks.

revis does have elite speed though
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrelle_Revis
he ran a 4.38 at teh combine. anything under 4.4 is elite speed

thank you. eveyrbody has revis as the bets or 2nd best. its a toss up between him and asaguwa from the raiders. I think revis si better though cause since hsi rookie year he has been left on an island with top WRs. asagawa is rarely 1 on 1 and up until this year he was mostly on the #2 WRs for teams when he was 1 on 1

Revis is legit. He's shut down Moss, and Andre Johnson. Colston might not have a very big game.

With that being said, I have no clue how the Jets are going to attempt to cover Bush, Henderson, Meachem, Moore, Shockey, D. Thomas, H. Evans, and P. Thomas as recieving threats. That's a big problem for Rex Ryan to attempt to "mastermind" a solution to, especially with his entire secondary being banged up.

our LBers can cover RBs and TEs very well. scott, harris, and thomas are all playing great. scott is a former pro bowler and harris will be 1 this year. your lucky were missing pace still too as pace is a great LBer as well. gholston is starting in front of him and i refer to him as casper (the friendly ghost) he has no fire and never makes plays

Having Revis is nice for Rex and all, but can you honestly tell me that you think this jets D is as talented as the product that the Ravens put out last year?

yes i do

revis - top 2 CB
rhodes - pro bowl caliber player
learnhard - starting safety for balt last year
harris - will make the pro bowl this year
scott - pro bowler (started for balt last year)
jenkins 4 time pro bowler
ellis - former pro bowler
shepard - former pro bowler (if he plays)
thomas - solid LBer had 8 sacks 2 years ago and 80+ tackles
douglas - has more tackles for a loss tehn any player the past 4 years (also started for balt last year)
Gholston - 1st round bust lol. he isn't a threat but they can't all be studs can they?

Revis, in many ways, reminds me of Malcolm Jenkins. Or maybe I should say that the other way around. Both are tall, rangy corners. Not blessed with elite speed but play fast and have very long arms. Revis is a physical corner who gets a great bump off the line of scrimmage and utilizes his hands really well. He is very fluid out of his breaks and knows how to stay on the inside shoulder of a receiver. I see similar traits in Malcolm, and can only hope that he, too, will blossom in time the way that Revis has emerged as one of the league's better cornerbacks.

Revis is 5'11'', and fast. Not tall and rangy. I don't see him as a Malcolm Jenkins prototype at all. The similarities are they both have great ball skills. But so far Jenkins hasn't shown he can stick with an elite receiver and make a play on the ball. I hope that changes.

revis does have elite speed though
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrelle_Revis
he ran a 4.38 at teh combine. anything under 4.4 is elite speed

His speed and ability to accelerate was a big question, and he did not run at the combine. That time was weeks later at his Pitt Pro Day. Can you say "manufactured" maybe? :idunno:

Even still, one man can't cover:

Meachem 4.39
Henderson 4.36
Bush 4.33
Colston 4.52
Moore 4.55
Shockey 4.55

All players who run their speed in pads all by himself?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom