Jim Haslett (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Just wondering what happened to Haslett? Wasn’t he coaching one of the XFL teams or something like that? Is he back in the NFL? I heard stories he had aw way with the women. Possibly a cheater too when he was coaching in New Orleans! Favorite memory of Haz? Least favorite memory of Haz?

He’s been an assistant coach each place he’s been since leaving here. Ranks third behind Payton and Mora on my own all-time Saints coaches list. He had a chance for a better legacy here, but then the tail end of 2002 happened.
I believe things would have been different if Mueller would have stayed on.
On the flip side, we never would have hired Payton.

I believe things would have been different if Mueller would have stayed on.
On the flip side, we never would have hired Payton.

Yea. I'm not entirely sure what exactly happened with Randy Mueller as I was pretty young when he was our GM, I remember those days rather fondly though. I couldn't even say I have a genuinely bad memory of Haslett, but I feel like the team was perennially on the cusp with him. Obviously the 2005 season was particularly bad, and the River City Relay in 2004 I believe was one of the highest highs followed by one of the lowest lows so I could use that as my worst memory and essentially what I remember of his tenure summed up in the end of one game. The best memory is probably "Hakim drops the ball". He always seemed to prefer athletes to football players which didn't usually pan out long term. Knowing that he's a defensive kind I can see why he felt that way, but that doesn't always translate to production and isn't the best way to build a pro team. I actually remember feeling like he got kind of hard done by being fired after 05 but in retrospect firing him and hiring Payton was obviously one of the best things that ever happened to the franchise.

There were definitely plenty of rumors of the players running amok under him though, as well as his own escapades with a cheerleader if I'm not mistaken. More of a players' coach if you will but without the X's and O's talent to have us be anything more than consistently average. I seem to remember an article from when Payton first took over about him getting rid of all the Lazy Boys in the locker room and being this hardnosed business first football coach, which is kind of funny as I think now Payton definitely has a reputation a man that's fun to play for.

Dick Nolan, though, was probably a far more talented, intelligent, knowledgeable player, later HC, executive then what Haslett ever achieved during his playing or HC career. He was nicknamed "Mute Rokne" because of his soft-spoken, introverted personality and coaching style. He was actually a successful HC of the Niners in the late 60s-early 70s during the city's Haight-Ashbury "farm kids hippies" era where during the 1967 "Summer of Love" counterculture the neighborhood had a population close to 300,000 people, leading to malnutrition, hard drugs, overpopulation, pimps, prostitution came to the fore.

Dick Nolan, though, was probably a far more talented, intelligent, knowledgeable player, later HC, executive then what Haslett ever achieved during his playing or HC career. He was nicknamed "Mute Rokne" because of his soft-spoken, introverted personality and coaching style. He was actually a successful HC of the Niners in the late 60s-early 70s during the city's Haight-Ashbury "farm kids hippies" era where during the 1967 "Summer of Love" counterculture the neighborhood had a population close to 300,000 people, leading to malnutrition, hard drugs, overpopulation, pimps, prostitution came to the fore.

Wow. Sounds like a party to me 🤣

Jokes aside, Nolan indeed already had “skins on the wall” as an NFL head coach, whereas Haslett’s HC gig with the Saints was his first. And it appears, his last, too.

Was just a tot at the time, but Nolan’s teams were done in by a ton of bad luck on the field and serious drug abuse among many key players.

Has left to me would’ve fit in well with most pop warner football coaches I see. “Just hit em harder” and have absolutely no scheme, and no real player development. We love to slam Brooks, but the guy was never really developed into a better QB. It was always seeming like he went out there and just played sandlot football. Sometimes it was great, sometimes horrible, but never even and consistent. Always get Haslett wasted a huge amount of talent on that team because he was an absolutely inept coach.

Has left to me would’ve fit in well with most pop warner football coaches I see. “Just hit em harder” and have absolutely no scheme, and no real player development. We love to slam Brooks, but the guy was never really developed into a better QB. It was always seeming like he went out there and just played sandlot football. Sometimes it was great, sometimes horrible, but never even and consistent. Always get Haslett wasted a huge amount of talent on that team because he was an absolutely inept coach.

I feel pretty much the same way. He really failed to establish anything resembling a good team culture....when you can't or don't do that....no matter how talented the team they will only get so far....

Hasletts biggest flaw was his total lack of discipline. He was undisciplined as a player when he played for the Bills being one of the most penalized players in the league every year he played and he was undisciplined as a coach which made his teams undisciplined.

He was never going to take the Saints anywhere as head coach!!

He was never going to be smart enough.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom