Jim Haslett (1 Viewer)

Fav memory was way before him getting here. Saw a pregame segment where he was discussing time as a Bills player. He was playing the Steelers, literally ripped off Bradshaw's helmet and then stomped on his uncovered head all on the same play. Segment went back to an unapologetic Haslett, "It was the only way I thought we could win."

Haslett’s problem was he would not play Jake Delhomme. He was tied at the hip to Aaron Brooks. If Brooks has one good arm and one good leg, he was going to play Brooks. The whole world knew that Jake should have been starting but Haslett and McCarthy refused to put him in. I’m sure everyone knows what Delhomme moves on to do in Carolina. Haslett was a decent defensive coordinator but I think head coach was a little too much for him.

Interesting question.

I was just rewatching some older games from that era and a couple things stood out to me.

First, how undisciplined and slapdash our offense was. Brooks ball-handling attitude was casual at best, routes were rounded off, motion men might or might not be where they're supposed to be at the snap, we regularly got to the line with only a couple-three seconds left, etc. It's amazing we ever scored.
Second, in '00 and '01, that defense was fast. We're 20 years of training advancements removed and that line makes ours look like they're playing in molasses.

I'll always appreciate Haslett for giving us our first playoff win, but that dude couldn't spot linebacker talent with a flashlight and a map.

He's the inside-linebacker's coach for the Titans.

Somehow completely missed hearing about that..............also didn't remember that he was in Cincy for 3 seasons.

we regularly got to the line with only a couple-three seconds left, etc.

And we regularly still do. And even then, Brees will sometimes start screaming KILL KILL !!! as if it's 11:15 AM before a Noon kickoff.

One of my non-Saints favorite memories. I was in DC, watching us lose to KC. I got frustrated watching, and leave to go see the sites just after the game. The Redskins blew a lead in the last seconds when Haslett was DC at the same time.

so, I’m standing in the Metrocenter stop, waiting to transfer. Train let’s out. Fans are screaming
“Fire Haslett! Clap-clap-clap clap clap”
My Saints heart was warmed at that. 🤪

One of my non-Saints favorite memories. I was in DC, watching us lose to KC. I got frustrated watching, and leave to go see the sites just after the game. The Redskins blew a lead in the last seconds when Haslett was DC at the same time.

so, I’m standing in the Metrocenter stop, waiting to transfer. Train let’s out. Fans are screaming

Umm, ok.

Some of the people who post here carry around some of the weirdest grudges against former players / coaches.

Why? This is just mean. The guy did his best while here. Unfortunately, it wasn't good enough. I would never want him to fail for the remainder of his life.

----

Interesting question.

I was just rewatching some older games from that era and a couple things stood out to me.

First, how undisciplined and slapdash our offense was. Brooks ball-handling attitude was casual at best, routes were rounded off, motion men might or might not be where they're supposed to be at the snap, we regularly got to the line with only a couple-three seconds left, etc. It's amazing we ever scored.
Second, in '00 and '01, that defense was fast. We're 20 years of training advancements removed and that line makes ours look like they're playing in molasses.

I'll always appreciate Haslett for giving us our first playoff win, but that dude couldn't spot linebacker talent with a flashlight and a map.
A lot of people just think back and blame Brooks without looking at the facts. Once Roaf left, our offensive line was crap and our receivers had a lot of dropped passes. I'm not even going to mention how bad our defense was either. With those ingredients, a QB can't do much more.

I agree with renegadewa, Haslett lost control of his team at certain points. I will say this about him - Haslett didn't care who we were playing and pulled out some victories against teams that on paper should have creamed us. After many years of getting crushed by the Niners, the team I hate most in pro sports, Haslett swept them in 2000. That was a fun season. The Rams were both extremely talented and cocky when Haslett was our coach and Haslett didn't care -- we held our own against them when they were one of the best teams in football. Your coach should believe his team can beat anyone they line up against and it was just refreshing to see it as a Saints fan. It seemed in a lot of pre-Haslett seasons we were down by two scores before we even took the field. Ditka left him with as bare a cupboard as any first year coach in NFL history and to win a playoff game with that team was amazing.

I agree with renegadewa, Haslett lost control of his team at certain points. I will say this about him - Haslett didn't care who we were playing and pulled out some victories against teams that on paper should have creamed us. After many years of getting crushed by the Niners, the team I hate most in pro sports, Haslett swept them in 2000. That was a fun season. The Rams were both extremely talented and cocky when Haslett was our coach and Haslett didn't care -- we held our own against them when they were one of the best teams in football. Your coach should believe his team can beat anyone they line up against and it was just refreshing to see it as a Saints fan. It seemed in a lot of pre-Haslett seasons we were down by two scores before we even took the field. Ditka left him with as bare a cupboard as any first year coach in NFL history and to win a playoff game with that team was amazing.
Actually Ditka left him with a pretty good defense. The went down after Ron Zook left, but we had a lot of talent. La'roi Glover, Wayne Martin, Joe Johnson, Darren Howard, Sammy Knight...it was amazing! The offense on the other hand was terrible when Ditka left.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom