Jim Haslett (1 Viewer)

He will always have the best ABC face (angry-bewildered-confused) in football.

A lot of people just think back and blame Brooks without looking at the facts. Once Roaf left, our offensive line was crap and our receivers had a lot of dropped passes. I'm not even going to mention how bad our defense was either. With those ingredients, a QB can't do much more.

The games I was watching were from 2000 to 2002. Haz hadn't yet trashed the defense.
I don't blame Brooks at all for the trainwreck or for playing when it was obvious he was hurt.
Brooks didn't completely waste Deuce's rookie season.
That's all on Haz.

The games I was watching were from 2000 to 2002. Haz hadn't yet trashed the defense.
I don't blame Brooks at all for the trainwreck or for playing when it was obvious he was hurt.
Brooks didn't completely waste Deuce's rookie season.
That's all on Haz.
Rick Venturi and the failure to replace him fell on Haslett and Loomis. Not to even mention the bad draft picks and FA signings that followed. I always said that if you look at the 8-8 teams that were under Haslett, they are very identical to our 7-9 seasons.

Say what you want about him, but he has always had an answer for our offense.
not adjusting when playing Haslett.

Haslett has had terrible defenses and made bad decisions and alienated a lot of players talking out of both sides of his mouth.

The basic "play physical/disrupt timing" generally works against finesse/timing offenses like the Saints. Haslett indeed has always been able to get his guys to disrupt the LOS, get pressure, force turnovers against those kinds of offesnees.

If you remember with the Saints Haslett could always beat or compete with the greatest show on turf Martz Rams. Same deal. Pressure and disrupt. But generally Payton doesn't change too much what he wants to call and if you get beat in the trenches and give up pressures and let the timing get disrupted then you lose to Jim Haslett.

What’s still crazy, he took the Saints farther than they have ever been in there first 33 years of existence. Winning a playoff game, against the reigning SB champs no less.

That is true but that was the proverbial "blind squirrel" finding an acorn because it was the only post season appearance that the team made in 6 years under Haslett.

After that first season expectations were high but it wasn't meant to be.

Haslett’s problem was he would not play Jake Delhomme. He was tied at the hip to Aaron Brooks. If Brooks has one good arm and one good leg, he was going to play Brooks. The whole world knew that Jake should have been starting but Haslett and McCarthy refused to put him in. I’m sure everyone knows what Delhomme moves on to do in Carolina. Haslett was a decent defensive coordinator but I think head coach was a little too much for him.

ABSOLUTELY!!

I agree with renegadewa, Haslett lost control of his team at certain points. I will say this about him - Haslett didn't care who we were playing and pulled out some victories against teams that on paper should have creamed us. After many years of getting crushed by the Niners, the team I hate most in pro sports, Haslett swept them in 2000. That was a fun season. The Rams were both extremely talented and cocky when Haslett was our coach and Haslett didn't care -- we held our own against them when they were one of the best teams in football. Your coach should believe his team can beat anyone they line up against and it was just refreshing to see it as a Saints fan. It seemed in a lot of pre-Haslett seasons we were down by two scores before we even took the field. Ditka left him with as bare a cupboard as any first year coach in NFL history and to win a playoff game with that team was amazing.

I honestly think that the little control that Haslett had in his first year didn't last very long and it was by his own doing.

At times it was like he was the biggest juvenile in a room full of juveniles and it showed in how undisciplined his teams were.

Good or great head coaches are leaders by example and Haslett was never a leader.

I'm not going to put everything on Haslett because the FO made some pretty dumb decisions as well. Albert Connell and Dale Carter were two of the biggest brain farts I can remember.

I do remember our series against the Rams and it was great. Not to take away from what you're saying, but we had some pretty good talent on defense around that time. Not to mention we also had Ron Zook. The wheel fell completely off when Venturi was promoted to DC and I am not sure if we accomplished anything on defense during his tenure.

When we face Haslett, I recall his formations were multiple and he disguised alot of things. That was definitely not the case when he was here. I am not sure what happened in Washington, but he has had some success as a DC. Maybe his last stint kind of pushed him back into position coach rut.

Say what you want about him, but he has always had an answer for our offense.

I think that had more to do with Mike McCarthy (and Bill Bunting in his first year)

Haslett is/was a defensive guy and delegated most of the offense to the coordinator. Kind of like Payton does with the defense.

Aaron Brooks went 3-3 as a starter his first year. Jeff Blake got the shaft the following year. Ron Zook was great as a dc in Haslett’s first year but then left for another opportunity. Defense was never as good again

Aaron Brooks went 3-3 as a starter his first year. Jeff Blake got the shaft the following year.

A very boring and simply untrue narrative that permeates this forum from time to time.

Also, Blake got hurt in the Raiders game. There were only 5 games left in the regular season after that...meaning Brooks went 3-2 as a starter.

After you go back and re-count those games.....also check and see how many winning teams Blake defeated in 2000.

Aaron Brooks went 3-3 as a starter his first year. Jeff Blake got the shaft the following year. Ron Zook was great as a dc in Haslett’s first year but then left for another opportunity. Defense was never as good again

I always felt like Jeff Blake got screwed he played so well till I believe it was a game against the Raiders, and the broke his foot. I felt like he played very well and never got any credit.

I always felt like Jeff Blake got screwed he played so well till I believe it was a game against the Raiders, and the broke his foot. I felt like he played very well and never got any credit.
I believe he got credit for helping us get on the winning streak, but he lost the competition battle the following preseason.

I can't remember at which point we traded for Aaron Brooks, but I recall my father coming back from attending one of the preseason games in 2000 and he told me that Aaron Brooks was the future. I'm assuming that he saw some promise from him during that time to let him know that he will one day have the job.

Truth be told, when Brooks won the job in 2001, I don't think most fans were looking for Blake or saying that he got screwed over.

I believe most of that talk happened when Brooks started getting on people's nerves and not to mention when Delhomme was shipped to Carolina.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom