Jim Henderson Commentary: Saints prepare for season finale against the Falcons (1 Viewer)

Wow, so I failed the audition. Dang!

I'm not in love with Cadet, but he fills a need and Payton brought him back and consistently uses him in certain packages so he obviously values the guy. He won't be expensive to resign, he knows the offense, and the team has too many other more important needs to fill than the joker RB, IMO. Fairley is obviously the one guy we HAVE to resign, and no one else is a "priority" in the same sense, but I wouldn't want to lose Cadet.

Personally, I think the Satellite Back role is an important part of the offesne that has been lacking since Sproles was let go. We also don't really have RB who is great in the screen game since PT left. The offense is good without a dangerous RB to fill the role, but it is unstoppable with one. It opens up the middle for the TEs when teams have to respect the RB in the flat, the middle screen and the draw play out of the shotgun.

Cadet just doesn't scare anyone. Most of his catches are just because the play design is great, not any special talent he has. (He does have good reliable hands.) And nobody fears him in the open field. I mean, it's not a priority and I wouldn't spend top dollar free agent money on one, but a mid-level free agent or a draft pick that is a quick pass catching back who can run screens and draws would complete the offense.

Even at the vet minimum Cadet is expensive for what he does. And honestly, the college ranks are filled with small, quick/fast backs who can catch but don't have the size to pound the ball inside. And a low to mid draft pick or an UDFA would make a good bit less than Cadet. That being said, I'd probably keep Cadet around until someone beats him out for the job.

Jim ended the commentary with the question "For whom will Sunday's game be the last as a Saint contributor?"

I would like to see the Saints hang on to as many current core players as possible. Of those that are potential free agents we definitely need to try and lock up Fairley, first and foremost.

There are several other Unrestricted Free Agents on one-yr contracts that I would certainly like to see re-signed.

In the interest of discussion, here is a list of Saints 2017 Free Agents:

UNRESTRICTED FA's
PLAYER piece of work AGE
Paul Kruger OLB 30
Nick Fairley DT 28
Tim Lelito G 27
Roman Harper SS 34
Jahri Evans G 33
John Kuhn FB 34
Darryl Tapp DE 32
Jamarca Sanford SS 31
Jason Trusnik ILB 32
Justin Drescher LS 29
Tim Hightower RB 30
Kyle Wilson CB 29
Tony Hills LT 32
Travaris Cadet RB 27
Sterling Moore CB 26
Shiloh Keo SS 29
John Phillips TE 29
Sam Barrington ILB 26
Michael Mauti OLB 26

RESTRICTED FA'S
PLAYER piece of work AGE
B.W. Webb CB 26
Chris Banjo SS 26
Corey Fuller WR 26
Kasim Edebali OLB 27
Brandon Coleman WR 24

The above list of 2017 Saints UFA's can be found here... 2017 NFL Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac

I've bolded the people I think are part of the core and should be prioritized in keeping. That doesn't mean they need to be a starter, but it does mean I can see them playing important roles on the team. B.W. Webb is a good example. Is he a starter? Maybe. But I think he can be valuable as solid depth with experience in the system. The players in italics would be nice to keep on the cheap, but are not super important. Evans, for example, could be great to keep. But I'm not sure of the money he wants and how his health will be, etc. I haven't paid enough attention to the line, but how has he been? Does he look like Evans?

As for the conversation about Cadet, I think he's a below average player who happens to understand what this team is doing. So he's able to at least look the part in filling a role. But he doesn't do anything special and too often it looks like we force something his way, wishing it were Reggie Bush or Darren Sproles on the route instead. He's not a real running back, yet he's not a real receiver. I don't think he's on the team next year. But he might be on speed dial in case of an injury.

Also, I bolded Hightower because I really like what he brings to the team culturally and on the field. But I don't think he's particularly special in talent. At 30 years old, he needs to be replaced if he isn't willing to play on a very modest deal. Look for Lasco to be heavily involved next year.

I've bolded the people I think are part of the core and should be prioritized in keeping. That doesn't mean they need to be a starter, but it does mean I can see them playing important roles on the team. B.W. Webb is a good example. Is he a starter? Maybe. But I think he can be valuable as solid depth with experience in the system. The players in italics would be nice to keep on the cheap, but are not super important. Evans, for example, could be great to keep. But I'm not sure of the money he wants and how his health will be, etc. I haven't paid enough attention to the line, but how has he been? Does he look like Evans?

As for the conversation about Cadet, I think he's a below average player who happens to understand what this team is doing. So he's able to at least look the part in filling a role. But he doesn't do anything special and too often it looks like we force something his way, wishing it were Reggie Bush or Darren Sproles on the route instead. He's not a real running back, yet he's not a real receiver. I don't think he's on the team next year. But he might be on speed dial in case of an injury.

Also, I bolded Hightower because I really like what he brings to the team culturally and on the field. But I don't think he's particularly special in talent. At 30 years old, he needs to be replaced if he isn't willing to play on a very modest deal. Look for Lasco to be heavily involved next year.

I am meh on Tim Hightower, Brandon Coleman and B.W. Webb. Webb provides depth but he struggles at time in coverage. I would keep Tim but not someone I would lose sleep if he leaves. But I do like Tim and he provided some good games for us. With Coleman and Edebali, I don't know what to make of those two. Their production this year has gone way down and I don't know if it is a must to keep them. I rather Edebali though if I have to choose between the two.
I would keep my option open with Jahri. I know he is old and had injury issues. However he has played well and until we have someone solid who can play that position, it is wise to keep him for now.
I am glad you have John Phillips in bold because I am not confident in our tight end position. Two of our main ones are injured. Fleener is just too inconsistent. Phillips, in games, have caught the ball and block very well. I keep him because I think he is solid. I wouldn't look pass him if I was the team.

Paul Kruger OLB 30
Nick Fairley DT 28
Tim Lelito G 27
Roman Harper SS 34
Jahri Evans G 33
John Kuhn FB 34
Darryl Tapp DE 32
Jamarca Sanford SS 31
Jason Trusnik ILB 32
Justin Drescher LS 29
Tim Hightower RB 30
Kyle Wilson CB 29
Tony Hills LT 32
Travaris Cadet RB 27
Sterling Moore CB 26
Shiloh Keo SS 29
John Phillips TE 29
Sam Barrington ILB 26
Michael Mauti OLB 26

RESTRICTED FA'S
PLAYER piece of work AGE
B.W. Webb CB 26
Chris Banjo SS 26
Corey Fuller WR 26
Kasim Edebali OLB 27
Brandon Coleman WR 24

Other than that, we need to fill in the rest of the gaps with very reasonable veteran deals and rookie deals. We cant be going crazy with the cap again. I think Loomis has learned his lesson.

Good list I would add:
Kruger
Evans
Drescher
Coleman
only to team friendly deals.

I am meh on Tim Hightower, Brandon Coleman and B.W. Webb. Webb provides depth but he struggles at time in coverage. I would keep Tim but not someone I would lose sleep if he leaves. But I do like Tim and he provided some good games for us. With Coleman and Edebali, I don't know what to make of those two. Their production this year has gone way down and I don't know if it is a must to keep them. I rather Edebali though if I have to choose between the two.
I would keep my option open with Jahri. I know he is old and had injury issues. However he has played well and until we have someone solid who can play that position, it is wise to keep him for now.
I am glad you have John Phillips in bold because I am not confident in our tight end position. Two of our main ones are injured. Fleener is just too inconsistent. Phillips, in games, have caught the ball and block very well. I keep him because I think he is solid. I wouldn't look pass him if I was the team.

Coleman and Webb are young. But I disagree with your statement about Coleman's production. He's never going to catch a ton of passes. That's ok. He has become pretty darned good at run blocking and has been pretty solid in catching tight passes in crucial moments.

Regardless, he's exactly the sort of player we need to keep on the team for little immediate costs. We need those players who we have invested time to develop to come around and be contributors.

We could resign all these players and just cut some during camp and I wouldn't make a huge difference IMO. However, there is a lot of vet expertise and quality starters on this list. Unfortunately a lot are at the end of their careers as the avg age is like 30!
UNRESTRICTED FA's
PLAYER piece of work AGE
Paul Kruger OLB 30 Resign 1 yr deal OK on running downs should be cheap
Nick Fairley DT 28 Resign as long as it's not a 4 yr deal
Tim Lelito G 27 Resign and hope he doesn't see the field next season
Roman Harper SS 34 Resign 1 yr deal Thinking that they like his vet leadership
Jahri Evans G 33 Time to move on
John Kuhn FB 34 Resign and give him 2 yrs another quality vet
Darryl Tapp DE 32 Nope Kruger can take his place
Jamarca Sanford SS 31 Nope his replacement is on IR
Jason Trusnik ILB 32 Nope
Justin Drescher LS 29 Part of our ST malfunction junction Upgrade Please!
Tim Hightower RB 30 Resign as a quality vet contributor
Kyle Wilson CB 29 Resign for depth (nickel dime)
Tony Hills LT 32 Let him walk
Travaris Cadet RB 27 Draft a replacement
Sterling Moore CB 26 Resign as depth for Breaux/Williams
Shiloh Keo SS 29 Nope
John Phillips TE 29 Resign
Sam Barrington ILB 26
Michael Mauti OLB 26 Not sure about his long term health

RESTRICTED FA'S
PLAYER piece of work AGE
B.W. Webb CB 26 Resign as he provided quality snaps this season.
Chris Banjo SS 26
Corey Fuller WR 26
Kasim Edebali OLB 27 Resign
Brandon Coleman WR 24 Resign

The above list of 2017 Saints UFA's can be found here... 2017 NFL Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac

Coleman and Webb are young. But I disagree with your statement about Coleman's production. He's never going to catch a ton of passes. That's ok. He has become pretty darned good at run blocking and has been pretty solid in catching tight passes in crucial moments.

Regardless, he's exactly the sort of player we need to keep on the team for little immediate costs. We need those players who we have invested time to develop to come around and be contributors.

Well not saying Coleman doesn't contribute in that way. He is a solid blocker. But what I am saying is I wouldn't prioritized in signing him. If he doesn't demand much, why not? Young and experiences with the team.....it would a good thing to resign him, but only if the price is right. But I am looking for more competition for that 4th spot this training camp though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom