Jim Henderson Commentary: Saints prepare for season finale against the Falcons (1 Viewer)

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
On Sunday, the Atlanta Falcons can secure the second seed in the NFC Playoffs and a first round bye with a win as a touchdown favorite over the Saints. A New Orleans win gives the Saints an 8-8 finish in 2016...not a winning record, but for the first time in three years, not a losing one either.

The Falcons went from an 8-8 record a year ago to their first division title since 2012. They did so with the continued exemplary play of their stars like Matt Ryan and Julio Jones, the rapid maturation of young veterans like Vic Beasley and Teven Coleman and a collection of newcomers like Alex Mack, Deion Jones, Keanu Neal and Taylor Gabriel, who made an immediate, positive impact.

Should the Saints win on Sunday, it would be their turn to finish at .500 and you could make the argument that they could duplicate the Falcons' ascendancy next year. Some of the same elements are in place here as there. What isn't known is who will be those Saints newcomers in 2017 and how much they can positively impact the returning corps of veterans.

By Jim Henderson

Full Story - Fox8live.com
Jim ended the commentary with the question "For whom will Sunday's game be the last as a Saint contributor?"

I would like to see the Saints hang on to as many current core players as possible. Of those that are potential free agents we definitely need to try and lock up Fairley, first and foremost.

There are several other Unrestricted Free Agents on one-yr contracts that I would certainly like to see re-signed.

In the interest of discussion, here is a list of Saints 2017 Free Agents:

UNRESTRICTED FA's
PLAYER piece of work AGE
Paul Kruger OLB 30
Nick Fairley DT 28
Tim Lelito G 27
Roman Harper SS 34
Jahri Evans G 33
John Kuhn FB 34
Darryl Tapp DE 32
Jamarca Sanford SS 31
Jason Trusnik ILB 32
Justin Drescher LS 29
Tim Hightower RB 30
Kyle Wilson CB 29
Tony Hills LT 32
Travaris Cadet RB 27
Sterling Moore CB 26
Shiloh Keo SS 29
John Phillips TE 29
Sam Barrington ILB 26
Michael Mauti OLB 26

RESTRICTED FA'S
PLAYER piece of work AGE
B.W. Webb CB 26
Chris Banjo SS 26
Corey Fuller WR 26
Kasim Edebali OLB 27
Brandon Coleman WR 24

The above list of 2017 Saints UFA's can be found here... 2017 NFL Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac

Sterling Moore was more than serviceable this year. I'd definitely bring him back along with Hightower.

I'd bring him and Webb back. These two we got off of streets, (while not setting the world on fire) they have played better than some of starting CBs, in recent years.

I know we will have some money under the cap but got to spend wisely this time. I am not all in on spending big money for big name free agents that don't pan out. Guys like Craig Roberson and Nate Stupar are not big names but contributed greatly this year. Just from that list alone, the only high priority players are Nick Fairly and Sterling Moore. Still I wouldn't want to break the bank to keep the either. There are a few nice one I wouldn't mind keeping. Players like John Khun and John Phillips are examples. But luckily for us there aren't any major players that must be signed or franchised.

I say this, don't spend big in free agent but must have a great draft.

Isn't Willie Snead a restricted free agent this year?

Actually,he is!

Snead is an Exclusive Restricted Free Agent. As is Lutz and Lampman. I don't forsee Snead or Lutz going anywhere.

Paul Kruger OLB 30
Nick Fairley DT 28
Tim Lelito G 27
Roman Harper SS 34
Jahri Evans G 33
John Kuhn FB 34
Darryl Tapp DE 32
Jamarca Sanford SS 31
Jason Trusnik ILB 32
Justin Drescher LS 29
Tim Hightower RB 30
Kyle Wilson CB 29
Tony Hills LT 32
Travaris Cadet RB 27
Sterling Moore CB 26
Shiloh Keo SS 29
John Phillips TE 29
Sam Barrington ILB 26
Michael Mauti OLB 26

RESTRICTED FA'S
PLAYER piece of work AGE
B.W. Webb CB 26
Chris Banjo SS 26
Corey Fuller WR 26
Kasim Edebali OLB 27
Brandon Coleman WR 24

Other than that, we need to fill in the rest of the gaps with very reasonable veteran deals and rookie deals. We cant be going crazy with the cap again. I think Loomis has learned his lesson.

I hope the team puts a priority on resigning these players. Fairley must be brought back, IMO.

UNRESTRICTED FA's
PLAYER piece of work AGE
Nick Fairley DT 28
Tim Hightower RB 30
Kyle Wilson CB 29
Travaris Cadet RB 27
Sterling Moore CB 26
Michael Mauti OLB 26

I hope the team puts a priority on resigning these players. Fairley must be brought back, IMO.

UNRESTRICTED FA's
PLAYER piece of work AGE
Nick Fairley DT 28
Tim Hightower RB 30
Kyle Wilson CB 29
Travaris Cadet RB 27
Sterling Moore CB 26
Michael Mauti OLB 26

You were alright until I saw you have Travaris Cadet on your priority list.

Of all the players on that list, the only one I would truly be upset to lose is Nick Fairley. There are a handful of others you bring back if the price is right, but no one else should be a high priority in my opinion. I wouldn't mind BW Webb, Sterling Moore and Brandon Coleman, as long as they are not high priced.

You were alright until I saw you have Travaris Cadet on your priority list.
Wow, so I failed the audition. Dang!

I'm not in love with Cadet, but he fills a need and Payton brought him back and consistently uses him in certain packages so he obviously values the guy. He won't be expensive to resign, he knows the offense, and the team has too many other more important needs to fill than the joker RB, IMO. Fairley is obviously the one guy we HAVE to resign, and no one else is a "priority" in the same sense, but I wouldn't want to lose Cadet.

Jim ended the commentary with the question "For whom will Sunday's game be the last as a Saint contributor?"

I would like to see the Saints hang on to as many current core players as possible. Of those that are potential free agents we definitely need to try and lock up Fairley, first and foremost.

There are several other Unrestricted Free Agents on one-yr contracts that I would certainly like to see re-signed.

UNRESTRICTED FA's
PLAYER piece of work AGE

Nick Fairley DT 28
Tim Lelito G 27
Jahri Evans G 33
John Kuhn FB 34
Darryl Tapp DE 32
Tim Hightower RB 30
Sterling Moore CB 26
Michael Mauti OLB 26

RESTRICTED FA'S
PLAYER piece of work AGE
B.W. Webb CB 26
Kasim Edebali OLB 27
Brandon Coleman WR 24

Here are the guys I'd like to see come back. Fairley, Moore are the only two need to have back at the right price.

Wow, so I failed the audition. Dang!

I'm not in love with Cadet, but he fills a need and Payton brought him back and consistently uses him in certain packages so he obviously values the guy. He won't be expensive to resign, he knows the offense, and the team has too many other more important needs to fill than the joker RB, IMO. Fairley is obviously the one guy we HAVE to resign, and no one else is a "priority" in the same sense, but I wouldn't want to lose Cadet.

I would rather for them to let Cadet walk and let him test out his worth in free agency and sign someone else. He knows the offense, true. However he has been one dimensional and has been inconsistent at times. He doesn't provide much in a way of running the ball. He doesn't provide much pass protection either. We need a guy who can provide the big plays at any given time. Unfortunately, Cadet doesn't fit that mode. We haven't had one since Sproles. As good as this offense is this year, that and the tight end position are the cause for drives to sputtered a bit at times.

UNRESTRICTED FA's
PLAYER piece of work AGE
Paul Kruger OLB 30
Nick Fairley DT 28 Priority, incentive laden.
Tim Lelito G 27 Priority, shouldn't be expensive, but can walk
Roman Harper SS 34
Jahri Evans G 33 One year, maybe. We need his replacement
John Kuhn FB 34
Darryl Tapp DE 32
Jamarca Sanford SS 31
Jason Trusnik ILB 32
Justin Drescher LS 29 Priority, simple cheap signing
Tim Hightower RB 30 If cheap, sure.
Kyle Wilson CB 29
Tony Hills LT 32
Travaris Cadet RB 27
Sterling Moore CB 26 Yes, only if cheap, don't over pay
Shiloh Keo SS 29
John Phillips TE 29
Sam Barrington ILB 26
Michael Mauti OLB 26 Not sure.

RESTRICTED FA'S
PLAYER piece of work AGE
B.W. Webb CB 26 Maybe retain
Chris Banjo SS 26
Corey Fuller WR 26 ST ace, retain.
Kasim Edebali OLB 27 Retain
Brandon Coleman WR 24
Retain

The above list of 2017 Saints UFA's can be found here... 2017 NFL Free Agents Tracker | Spotrac

I threw my replies in the list.

But Nick Fairly is our #1 in house FA priority. Hopefully he'll play for similar, or add to the sack bonuses.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom