Jimmy Garoppolo vs Chicago.. (edited) (1 Viewer)

HogsNSaints

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
16-21 for 181 yards and a TD.

He was 11-18 for 168 against New Orleans.

The real difference was how he faired against the first teams. Yes he looked more poised tonight & made better throws, but he was clearly better against a defense that is receiving top 10 defense buzz.

16-21 for 181 yards and a TD.

He was 11-18 for 168 against New Orleans.

The real difference was how he faired against the first teams. Yes he looked more poised tonight & made better throws, but he was clearly better against a defense that is receiving top 10 defense buzz.

Every time I see Jimmy G, I keep thinking of Graham.

Looks like he did a lot better, I'm sure the extra reps are helping.

This OP is a back-handed compliment to the Saints defense, where Jimmy G faired worse in the pre-season opener.

In the eyeball test... the Black & Gold gave him a case of the happy feet verses da bears who were very meh.

Most defenses in preseason don't run anything fancy anyways, just basic schemes. Arizona won't show any of their special schemes during preseason there gonna save it for week one and confuse the hell out of Jimmy G.

Most defenses in preseason don't run anything fancy anyways, just basic schemes. Arizona won't show any of their special schemes during preseason there gonna save it for week one and confuse the hell out of Jimmy G.

Which to me proves the point of the OP. No, preseason doesn't mean too much as far as scheming and game planning. However, when your players on either side show that they can show up and dominate without game planning and running special schematic things in certain situations then that's all the reason to be a little more excited about a defense that has been terrible. The starting D looked GREAT against NE, and yes that has to translate in Sept and so on, anyone who doesn't think that was INCREDIBLY meaningful is downright just ignoring what confidence can do to a group that is trying to turn things around.

Our vanilla defense looked better against the Pats vanilla offense than the Bears' vanilla defense looked against the Pats' vanilla offense.

Good!

Players typically improve as preseason goes on, or at least you hope they do.

So this could mean something or mean nothing. The answer remains that we just won't know until real games start being played.

vs. NO - Sacked twice, knocked 3 times, hurried 3 times - 55 yds of the 168 came on one screen play...

vs. Bears - 0 sacks, knocked 2 times, hurried 1 time

Meah...

to me, the first two preseason games is more about can you beat your man. they did that for the most part the first game. now can they continue doing that this game and maybe dominate more.

I like the optimism but.... preseason doesn't mean jack in any category.
Kinda like how our defense last year in the preseason was dominate against the Pats then the regular season came and we stunk it up.

I do feel, however, that our defensive unit will be much better this year, not top 10 or anything but I'd be thrilled with high teens and earlier 20's.

Players typically improve as preseason goes on, or at least you hope they do.

So this could mean something or mean nothing. The answer remains that we just won't know until real games start being played.

Yes but the defenses also improve, so it should balance out.

Just watched the game against the Bears. He didn't do too well against their first team. 5-10 in the first qtr.

He came alive in the 2nd qtr.

A lot of stuff is going to change once the season starts, but I'm still impressed the way he's taking some good shots & keeping his wits about him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom