Jimmy Graham could seek up to $12 million annually on his next contract (1 Viewer)

Then I wish him luck wherever he ends up after next season. He 100% deserves to be the highest-paid TE in the game, and I hope we find a way to make that happen here. But even he isn't worth $12 million annually with our cap situation.

Last year he was not close to being in Gronk's league. Gronk's contract would be the upper ceiling if Graham play's up to Gronk's level which he did 2 years ago, but not near close last year.

NEW YORK — All-Pro Rob Gronkowski agreed Friday to a $54 million deal with the New England Patriots, the richest contract for a tight end in NFL history.

The six-year deal includes $18.17 million guaranteed. It is a stunning move by the team for a player entering just his third NFL season, but the Patriots recognized the game-breaking skills of the record-setting Gronkowski.

he didnt play in 2009 and i think the saints did ok that year, if he goes then he goes..

Last year he was not close to being in Gronk's league. Gronk's contract would be the upper ceiling if Graham play's up to Gronk's level which he did 2 years ago, but not near close last year.

Everyone, Gronkowski's deal was an extension! Yea it was the highest amount ever for a tight end but it comes out to an average of $6.9 million a year, which is not the highest in the league. He took the security of a deal for less money.

It is very back loaded and essentially is only a 4 year - $18 million deal. Unless we franchise Jimmy, we are looking at paying him much more than what Gronkowski got.

Rob Gronkowski Contract, Salaries, and Transactions

Also, you do realize that Gronkowski and Jimmy had very similar stats last year? Yes, Gronkowski was hurt, but you can't say Jimmy wasn't close when statistically he had a comparable or even better season.

They aren't the same type of player either, yes you can compare them because they both are "TE's" but we do not ask Jimmy to block nearly as much as Gronkowski does with the Pats. Unfortunately for us, a WR gets paid much more than a TE; atleast we have the option to franchise (hopefully as a TE)

In fairness, Jimmy played with a wrist injury that required surgery after the season. Even with missing a game, he still managed nearly 1000 yards and 10 tds. I think the contract that Gronk got is good barometer for what Jimmy should expect, perhaps with slightly more guaranteed money. That said, I think if we wait until a year or two (assuming he's franchised after his contract ends next year) to do the deal, he will likely command $12 million a season. We have to curtail that approach and try to get something done as soon as possible.

It's in both parties best interests to let this season play out if he is looking for $10 million plus. For the Saints, they need to see what Jimmy Graham shows up in 2013...the great 2011 version or the 2012 version. If Jimmy has another year like 2012 (injuries and/or inconsistency), then he's worth more in the $5-7 million range. If he has a season like 2011 where he catches close to 100 passes for 1500 yds and 12-15 TDs, then he's going to be able to command top dollar and at that point, the Saints have a decision as to how important they think TE is to this offense. It's really up to Jimmy at this point, though, to show the Saints that he is indispensable.

Issues with that:

1) it will be two years later, numbers naturally inflate
2) gronk was an extension, this - if left til next year- will essentially be straight free agency (more player risk playing out the contract, more player reward on the next one)

Everyone, Gronkowski's deal was an extension! Yea it was the highest amount ever for a tight end but it comes out to an average of $6.9 million a year, which is not the highest in the league. He took the security of a deal for less money.

It is very back loaded and essentially is only a 4 year - $18 million deal. Unless we franchise Jimmy, we are looking at paying him much more than what Gronkowski got.

Rob Gronkowski Contract, Salaries, and Transactions

Also, you do realize that Gronkowski and Jimmy had very similar stats last year? Yes, Gronkowski was hurt, but you can't say Jimmy wasn't close when statistically he had a comparable or even better season.

They aren't the same type of player either, yes you can compare them because they both are "TE's" but we do not ask Jimmy to block nearly as much as Gronkowski does with the Pats. Unfortunately for us, a WR gets paid much more than a TE; atleast we have the option to franchise (hopefully as a TE)

Yes, but that includes his 2 years remaining on his rookie deal.

If you just look at the extension, it's a 9Mil/year average.

Graham will get around 8-9Mil/year.

So long as you put Brady, P. Manning, E. Manning, Stafford, Rivers, Romo, and eventually Rogers and Flacco in that list, fine.

Drew, in terms of cap dollars, in 2013 will still be the 4th or 5th most expensive QB in the league. That's fair, right? He's not even the most expensive cap hit.

Suddenly 103-105M dollars in cap space each year isn't enough to sign other big name players??

I was referring to the Saint's Cap situation. All those player's enormous contracts are making their respective teams situations difficult also. Thats why I said it's the sad state of professional sports.

I would Luv to keep Graham but if he asks for $ 12 mil....i will chuck him the dueces! He will never be better on any other team...please believe dat!

Greed sometimes gets the best of people.... he should ask for 5-7 mil or keep it moving...

It wouldnt be the end of the world. Hate to see the guy go in 20XX, but look at the Pats for example.

They needed a TE and landed Gronk AND Hernandez. There are talented players out there. Part of the contract culture. In Loomis we trust.

he didnt play in 2009 and i think the saints did ok that year, if he goes then he goes..

Lol I think we did more than "ok" that year.

Man I hope this isn't true. I could of sworn I heard Jimmy saying that he was going to retire as a Saint and that he couldn't see himself on another team especially without Brees. I really think he going to stay imho. I just don't see him going anywhere. I would hate to see him go it would free up a lot of our salary cap though if he did. But in all honesty with Brees he can make any TE look good.

With Drew under center I don't think it matters much who's on the other end of the pass. As long as they're functional he'll get the job done. None or our WR's are really what you would consider elite. I think we have some good WR's but with Drew throwing the ball he makes them all look much better than if they had a lesser QB tossing it to them. I want Graham to stay here and if we can afford him then fine but he would be worth some good picks if he asked for too much money. Before he starts asking for record money he better have a better year than this last one.

Jimmy Graham better stay humble! His asking price should be around $5-7 mil. He should not get paid more than Colston.

Graham is a product of Payton's high-powered "passing" system. He would never be great on any other team.

- his blocking is below average
- he drops too many balls

Brees makes an average TE/WR look better than they are.....just ask Robert Meachem who was drafted 27th overall in 2007....:giggles:

*** We already "WON" a SUPERBOWL without him......

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom