Jindal's Priorities (1 Viewer)

The priorities Jindal has been talking about make sense:

--Ethics reform to make Louisiana the gold standard.

--Eliminating unnecessary business taxes to make Louisiana a more attractive place to do business.

--Improving the work force.

--Investing in higher education in a targeted way.

In short, like a new CEO taking over a failing company, Jindal needs to change the culture--or at least begin changing the culture--of our state. And money needs to be spent or invested in a targeted fashion so that we can start becoming more competitive.

I don't know how you do that 3rd one, but if he gets just the first one done, Louisiana will be on the road to greatness.

The priorities Jindal has been talking about make sense:

--Ethics reform to make Louisiana the gold standard.

--Eliminating unnecessary business taxes to make Louisiana a more attractive place to do business.

--Improving the work force.

--Investing in higher education in a targeted way.

In short, like a new CEO taking over a failing company, Jindal needs to change the culture--or at least begin changing the culture--of our state. And money needs to be spent or invested in a targeted fashion so that we can start becoming more competitive.

I can't wait to see how Jindal attacks these issues. Also, I can't wait to see the battles that will ensue amongst the political set that benefits from business as usual.

Surely, Jindal's task is daunting. I wonder if he will become jaded?

His first full day in office: Freezing state employee hiring.

A great move. I am sure that exceptions will have to be made. But on a per capita basis Louisiana has an extraordinarily high number of state and local government employees. Great for patronage and maintaining political power. But too many of these jobs are low paying and add to our inflated state budget.

What I am seeing suggests that Jindal's plans are actually more ambitious than his campaign rhetoric.

Is it true that the Govenror's pre-inauguration party was funded by a bunch of the lobbyists he is looking to regulate with the ethics laws? Was it a last stand for those or was that just b.s.? :shrug:

TPS

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/13828722.html?index=1&c=y = First day in office

Highlights:
  • concerned about the 1,250 new state government jobs added by the Blanco administration as well as $900 million in recurring expenses funded with one-time dollars
  • he will focus on removing the roadblocks holding up hazard mitigation funds to help people elevate their homes
  • his Cabinet members — Davis and the heads of state agencies — will file financial disclosure reports on their income, holdings, liabilities and investment transactions.The reports, which will extend to cabinet members’ spouses, will be due Jan. 15, 2009
  • Require appointees to submit their resignation if they are indicted.
  • Increase public access to state spending, including grants and contracts.
  • Shift oversight of the hurricane public assistance program from the Governor’s Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness, or GOHSEP, to the Louisiana Recovery Authority.

Isn't there a loophole for his cabinet members?

I hear that they don't have to follow the strict reporting guidelines until more than a year from now.

:confused:

Isn't there a loophole for his cabinet members?

I hear that they don't have to follow the strict reporting guidelines until more than a year from now.

:confused:

I believe that they are not required to report until early next year, but that they have to start following the guidelines now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom