JJ Redick to sign with Pels (1 Viewer)

Love this signing! His number is retired @ Duke! So many records! Awesome shooter! His new Duke teammates are gonna love this addition! Pelicans fans that don’t know him are gonna love this classy guy. It would be wonderful if somehow, someway, JJ finally wins a championship (college/pro) after so many “almost” ... Welcome to NOLA - JJ!!

Man, I love how this team is coming together. Needed shooters and we picked up 2 (including Melli) today.

This team may compete sooner than I thought.

this is a tremendous signing... I am more and more impressed with what Griffin has been doing. Personnel on the court as well as off.

With an assist to AD. Anthony finally figured out how to make the Pelicans a winner! His departure opened a door that looks promising. I’m glad we are moving forward positively, without him.

Something I just learned about JJ Reddick:

His career high PPG is 18.1 just this past season with Philadelphia - his age 34 season. That was over 76 games, as well ... not like a stat-inflated 30-game partial season or something like that.

I still can't believe that they signed Reddick and to a 2 year contract. I never really mentioned the idea of Reddick to the Pels because I didn't think it would be remotely possible. There's no reason for Reddick to have signed with the Pels unless he thinks they're going to win soon. He could have signed with just about any team.

How do you think he fits in with our new center? Do their styles complement each other?

How do you think he fits in with our new center? Do their styles complement each other?
If I understand the concept right (correct me guys, if I've got this wrong) JJ's ability to shoot from outside should create space inside as players move out to cover his shots. He is arguably one of the best, if not THE best shooter in the NBA. So that should force the opposing team to do what the Pels want as they can't let JJ shoot unchallenged or go uncovered. And that gives the C room to work.

Should be a great match. I know the answer is rather simplistic, but that is where my knowledge level is right now. :)

Aside from being an absolute sniper shooting the ball, JJ has a lot of great qualities that make him such a great fit on just about any team. In the locker room, he recognizes his role as the veteran and fills it exceptionally. His best trait as a player however might be his "off ball" skills. When you watch him play, he is constantly moving, maneuvering around screens, forcing defenses to follow him and collapse on him when he gets the ball, etc. He does this to create shooting opportunities for himself, but the benefit is that now the defense has to watch him and follow him. This will inevitably leave someone else open because you simply do not let a shooter with a career 3pt percentage of 40% set himself up for a free shot.

Here is some video of JJ when he played with the Clippers under HC Doc Rivers and Assistant Coach Alvin Gentry:

Statistically, Favors doesn't impress you with his offensive numbers. He played fewer minutes because with a guy like Rudy Gobert on your team, the other big man needs to sit. No shame at all in sitting when a player the caliber of Gobert sends you to the bench. As a defender and rim protector, Favors limited opponents to a 50.1 FG% last year. The Pels had only two players who held opponents to less than 60% last year (Okafor and Diallo). If I am not mistaken, that 50.1% led the NBA last season. It's not a fluke number, either. He regularly did it to the best NBA players. Now, he's not going to light up the stat sheet with points, but he will take advantage of his placement near the rim. When he gets the ball within the restricted circle, he converts 72.2% of his shot attempts, good for 9th among NBA players last season. This is the inside rim protector who can run the floor, the offensive rebounder than attacks the ball and can even step out to the perimeter to play defense. Not only does he do it all, he takes pride in it and that carries over into the locker room.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom