Question Job question (1 Viewer)

KCWhoDat

Formerly known as Saints4ever
Reaction score
Kansas City, MO and anywhere my company sends me.
So…I was working with a company, resigned this week to move on for a higher paying job.

Now originally I went to my previous company and asked for a raise, they said NO. Said they don’t have the profit margin for a raise, actually told me they should cut my hours and laughed about it. I didn’t laugh. This is after inflation went through the roof. Also brought up laying me off in the winter….

Well I resigned this week and they are P'Oed. Didn’t have time to do a proper two week notice because the other company wanted me sooner. I was given about 30% more than what I was making.

I know I made the right decision obviously…but these companies expect notices or whatever and as soon as you aren’t needed they will lay you off in a heart beat without a thought, it’s happened to me.

So first off I was declined a raise, laughed at, threatened hours cut but they are P'Oed cause I didn’t give a two week notice. I gave them a chance…my replacement is already making friends (sarcasm) with my old coworkers who I loved working with.

Received a call and they were telling me the guy is a screw up. Don’t know what he’s doing etc…just griping so he’s going to call my old boss about the replacement. Anyways I said well you get what you pay for, I said I would still be there if they just gave me a raise equal to inflation. These are big companies and they can afford them.

I just find it funny these corporations expect 100% loyalty from the worker but will cast you aside without batting an eye when you’re no longer needed. I quit being loyal YEARS AGO and all it’s done is benefit me. I find it funny these companies want 20 years experience and can just plug you in and you need no oversight but they are worried about their profits…GTFOH

This is just a rant cause I felt like coming to my favorite message board ever and blowing off some steam.

Thanks fellow who dats !

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The guys who laughed and talked about cutting hours, where they money people or would they have to go ‘upstairs’ to get you more money?

OP
OP
KCWhoDat

KCWhoDat

Reaction score
The guys who laughed and talked about cutting hours, where they money people or would they have to go ‘upstairs’ to get you more money?
He was my project manager….he literally said what we pay isn’t enough ? Yeah definitely money people. He could have approved a raise. But now they have a lame duck replacement who the client hates…

I’m in New York working where gas is SKY HIGH along with everything else.

Last edited:

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats on the new job. Sounds like you’ll be much better off. Keep looking ahead.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The employment situation is almost never tilted in favor of the employee - though some companies try harder than others. This one here was clearly not trying at all, so fork ‘em. Employers that don’t get it don’t usually hang on to good employees, especially in a strong labor market.

You’re completely in the right to look after your own interests, and two-weeks notice is nothing more than a custom borne out of respect - if they haven’t earned it they don’t get it.

Congrats on the new job.

OP
OP
KCWhoDat

KCWhoDat

Reaction score
The employment situation is almost never tilted in favor of the employee - though some companies try harder than others. This one here was clearly not trying at all, so fork ‘em. Employers that don’t get it don’t usually hang on to good employees, especially in a strong labor market.

You’re completely in the right to look after your own interests, and two-weeks notice is nothing more than a custom borne out of respect - if they haven’t earned it they don’t get it.

Congrats on the new job.
I was a replacement of a replacement….cleaning up all these other guys crap. They were all young…anyways old boss raved about me all the time, blah, blah…I would always bring up if I’m doing such a good job why can’t I get a raise ? Ridiculous….they can’t keep anyone.

I have plans…there are other employees that aren’t happy I will poach that are actually good.

I also told him if you pay more you can keep people. Obviously the bottom line matters more.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I was a replacement of a replacement….cleaning up all these other guys crap. They were all young…anyways old boss raved about me all the time, blah, blah…I would always bring up if I’m doing such a good job why can’t I get a raise ? Ridiculous….they can’t keep anyone.

I have plans…there are other employees that aren’t happy I will poach that are actually good.

I also told him if you pay more you can keep people. Obviously the bottom line matters more.

Yeah, they clearly don't know how to keep good people.

But that's foolish short-sidedness on their part. Unless you're in a truly commodity labor situation (which is very rare), the cost of regularly cycling new employees is substantial . . . it's just harder to calculate. A manager may be able to compute the cost/savings of refusing raises to experienced employees, but it's harder to compute the marginal productivity and quality loss with lower quality employees replacing those that leave - plus there are often gaps when new hires haven't been brought in. But those costs are real. And so are the headaches that go with it.

Sailorsaint

Reaction score

Until the bottom line starts shrinking because of production.

Reaction score
I work in IT under accounting. None of them try and get you money.

OP
OP
KCWhoDat

KCWhoDat

Reaction score
Yeah, they clearly don't know how to keep good people.

But that's foolish short-sidedness on their part. Unless you're in a truly commodity labor situation (which is very rare), the cost of regularly cycling new employees is substantial . . . it's just harder to calculate. A manager may be able to compute the cost/savings of refusing raises to experienced employees, but it's harder to compute the marginal productivity and quality loss with lower quality employees replacing those that leave - plus there are often gaps when new hires haven't been brought in. But those costs are real. And so are the headaches that go with it.
UPDATE : I have been an Environmental Monitor/Lead/Chief for 20 years….they just threw a ton of money at me too stay. I told them him to his face, I don’t care about your profit margins. I said when I leave, I will take all your good employees and give them all a raise deserving of what’s needed. So this just isn’t about me…this is about the junior environmental monitors on staff. I will take all who’s worthy and I have my eyes on 3 of them. This was done in person, face too face.

I said your turnover will continue until you pay more. You’re a stepping stone to other companies. You will never keep anyone, ever. I said the only reason I came to work here was for experience in the renewable energy industry. I was oil and gas for 20 years, stricter regulations and you really have to know the permits inside and out cause state agencies were gunning for us every single day. So just cause the government wants wind farms, solar energy, you have have to pay me less ? Absolutely NOT….that’s when I was thrown double at me. I also brought up how corps want us to be loyal but will discard us at a moments notice. Why should I be loyal when I’m offered more money ?

So continues the saga of my life…they want me too take another weeks vacation cause my new project was pushed back so they can hammer out the money issues, but if I stay I got 3 other young guys raises…

I was on vacation during this whole time, flew back in to go to my new job. Just sitting here doing some good shots of tequila. Interesting huh ? Lol

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
UPDATE : I have been an Environmental Monitor/Lead/Chief for 20 years….they just threw a ton of money at me too stay. I told them him to his face, I don’t care about your profit margins. I said when I leave, I will take all your good employees and give them all a raise deserving of what’s needed. So this just isn’t about me…this is about the junior environmental monitors on staff. I will take all who’s worthy and I have my eyes on 3 of them. This was done in person, face too face.

I said your turnover will continue until you pay more. You’re a stepping stone to other companies. You will never keep anyone, ever. I said the only reason I came to work here was for experience in the renewable energy industry. I was oil and gas for 20 years, stricter regulations and you really have to know the permits inside and out cause state agencies were gunning for us every single day. So just cause the government wants wind farms, solar energy, you have have to pay me less ? Absolutely NOT….that’s when I was thrown double at me. I also brought up how corps want us to be loyal but will discard us at a moments notice. Why should I be loyal when I’m offered more money ?

So continues the saga of my life…they want me too take another weeks vacation cause my new project was pushed back so they can hammer out the money issues, but if I stay I got 3 other young guys raises…

I was on vacation during this whole time, flew back in to go to my new job. Just sitting here doing some good shots of tequila. Interesting huh ? Lol

Wow, that's quite a development! The new project is certain to go? That's cool you got them to pony up on the other guys. Have you made a final decision yet? Not that you have to tonight - enjoy your tequila!

OP
OP
KCWhoDat

KCWhoDat

Reaction score

Congrats on the new job.
If I stay I will make over 75 an hour and I got the worthy young guys an a raise up to 35-40 hour. They deserve it….😉

OP
OP
KCWhoDat

KCWhoDat

Reaction score
Wow, that's quite a development! The new project is certain to go? That's cool you got them to pony up on the other guys. Have you made a final decision yet? Not that you have to tonight - enjoy your tequila!
Yea I have decided to stay. If I stay I end up helping the younger guys. Plus I make more with my current company and I will have a longer projects in the future…I’ve just been drinking for a while..lol. What made it real for my current company when they came to pick up my computer and other items I had a Uhaul ready to go hooked up to my Toyota 4Runner with my stuff in it…some of it. Taking another week off ….I’m old and tired and don’t really give a damn anymore. All I wanna do is retire…

OP
OP
KCWhoDat

KCWhoDat

Reaction score
I’m at a point in my life I honestly don’t care anymore…I honestly don’t give damn. I told him to his face they can afford the raise, especially if the other company can pay me more. I literally told him I don’t care about the corporate profit margins, this is about ME…I said I understand how all this works, I’m too old for this BS now I know how it all works. I’m not 25, I’m 49 who’s industry was just shut down. I’m old, tired and honestly don’t give a fc….

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom