Job situation update (1 Viewer)

So, my wife is also looking for another opportunity and she just got a call this morning for an interview with a federal agency next week. She hasn't even officially left her current position and already has an interview. Go figure, lol. If she gets this position, she'll get a nice bump in pay, as well as a much improved benefits package. It won't be enough to support the family, but it can slow the bleeding a bit until I find work.

Yesterday, I connected with a recruiter through LinkedIn and did a brief phone interview. He said he had a position he thought I was well-qualified for, with one exception. Their client wants someone with 2 years of government contracting experience. While I'm familiar with some government contracting, primarily with the contract closeout process, it was not a formal part of my job description and I can't really use that as experience. Meh.

The recruiter said that they were pretty insistent on the government contracting experience, but he'd send them my resume anyway. We'll see, but if can can get my foot in the door with government contracting, it would open up a lot of doors for me.

Always easier to get a job when you have one.

ahhh man. Really sorry for your struggles Dave. If I had any way to help I would.

I also want to comment: the "ghosting" situation is out of control. I'm sorry but if I come to your office, look you in the eye, shake your hand, and sit for an interview for an hour....the least you can do is let me know something instead of ghosting. I would rather hear "no" then nothing.

We were recently looking for an apartment. Had 2 leasing agents offer us apartments and then never heard from either of them again. Just ghosted. I don't get it.

Anyway, sorry for the derail, and I really hope your luck picks up soon!
And if we did the ghosting as an interviewee, we'd be blackballed and never have another shot. How damn hard is it to send out a 2-3 sentence email saying "Thanks for your time and interest, but..."?

Once you have a job/apartment, I suggest putting a negative review on Glassdoor and/or Indeed for these ghosters, which can be done if you have completed an interview.

Quick update. For me, nothing has changed at this point. No news on the 4 interviews I've had over the last 3 weeks. I'm currently revamping my private company resume. Will shorten it from 4 pages to 2 pages. And will organize it much differently to see if that helps me get more bites.

I'm sitting here at McDonald's while my wife is interviewing for a federal job with the FDA. If she gets this job, it would be a huge win for us. It won't pay the bills, but it gives me the flexibility to take a lower level position then work my way into a position that better fits my experience, skills and abilities.

It's been a long, frustrating 6-7 months, but I'm still going at it. We've been pinching pennies and living on eggs, rice and canned tuna the last few months, lol. Most days, it's one meal a day. But, if it means I get a job at the end of all this, it's worth it. The sunk cost thinking is awfully strong right now, but not much I can do about that. Just keep looking ahead and hope for the best.

You are doing it right. Stay positive and keep working at the job search. In Houston when the market was tight 12 months was the avg it took for the experienced job seekers to get placed ( I have some personal experience as well).
As far as the silence on interviews. It is unfortunate and not knowing the specific companies but more often than not the recruiter is a temp or contract hire themselves. So they are churning and burning based on the feedback of the employers. I've heard these same comments before about prospective employers not following up. Honestly, if you are not getting a second interview or job offer what are you expecting to hear? All the platitudes in the world wont make up for coming in second place when all you want is the job.
Stay positive and project confidence. Hard work will translate into an opportunity.

You are doing it right. Stay positive and keep working at the job search. In Houston when the market was tight 12 months was the avg it took for the experienced job seekers to get placed ( I have some personal experience as well).
As far as the silence on interviews. It is unfortunate and not knowing the specific companies but more often than not the recruiter is a temp or contract hire themselves. So they are churning and burning based on the feedback of the employers. I've heard these same comments before about prospective employers not following up. Honestly, if you are not getting a second interview or job offer what are you expecting to hear? All the platitudes in the world wont make up for coming in second place when all you want is the job.
Stay positive and project confidence. Hard work will translate into an opportunity.

Appreciate the encouragement. As for what I'm expecting to hear, I'd much rather a "no" for and answer than a non response. There are some positions I have higher hopes for than others, and I always follow up for a period of time before moving on. If I get a "no", I don't have to worry about following up. It's a waste of my time to continue following up if the decision has already been made. So I just think it's good courtesy to give a clear response so that I can act accordingly.

I don't think it's too much to ask, particularly post-interview. If you took the time to meet with me, I'd expect the recruiter or hiring manager to take the time to follow up.

Maybe I should adjust expectations. But I think I'd always follow up with those I interview. You never know. That person could be a potential hire some point down the road, and if the prospect remembers there was no response, he might be less inclined to accept a future offer.

Just a thought anyway.

Dave - sorry I just saw this thread.

I am the majority owner a manufacturing company and we have recently began work on the east coast. I am needing sales force, willing to reach out through the channels we have and build relationships. This, right now, would be 100% commission, and out of your home. However, it is completely on your schedule and the time needed can be any time that works for you. Al you need is access to LinkedIn and email. No sales force experience needed

Going forward, We are growing incredibly fast (400% per year) and will be needing financial analysis and ultimately a financial manager within he next 1-2 years as we expand internationally (Canada primarily)

PM me if you are interested in learning about our product and the opportunity.

Dave - sorry I just saw this thread.

I am the majority owner a manufacturing company and we have recently began work on the east coast. I am needing sales force, willing to reach out through the channels we have and build relationships. This, right now, would be 100% commission, and out of your home. However, it is completely on your schedule and the time needed can be any time that works for you. Al you need is access to LinkedIn and email. No sales force experience needed

Going forward, We are growing incredibly fast (400% per year) and will be needing financial analysis and ultimately a financial manager within he next 1-2 years as we expand internationally (Canada primarily)

PM me if you are interested in learning about our product and the opportunity.

Just in case you missed it, I sent you a PM. Thanks! :9:

Ok, this is weird. Our donation amount received as of today on gofundme is $666. :eek3: :covri:

Can you please post a link to the GoFundMe page?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom