Job situation update (1 Viewer)

So a quick update. Still no response from the company I interviewed last week. I have no idea if I'm still being considered, but in the meantime, I'm still pushing out applications frequently. Got an email from a recruiter in DC today for a Budget/Financial analyst dealing mostly with project management. More specifically EVM. I just got off the phone and he's going to schedule a phone interview with the hiring manager, likely in the next day or 2.

I did request an in person interview instead of phone because of the interpreting issue. He said he'd ask the manager if that's possible and get back to me. It's a pretty good paying full time permanent position, so it would be fantastic if I could land this. In downtown DC, which is a big plus as well.

Here's to hoping! :9:

If you can come here to Ms you can get a job here at easy reach where I work. I have no extra money but I can tell you how to get a job here in Hattiesburg Ms. I will pray for you and your wife brother

I appreciate the offer. PM me if you're serious. It would have to be a unique situation for me to consider Mississippi, but I'm open to ideas.

That's awesome, Dave. Keeping fingers crossed and such.

Do you have any experience with EVM?

Tbh, not directly, but I've been reading up on it. It's essentially dealing with managing projects, particularly large, complex projects that requires tracking progress and performance over the life of the project. They can include things like budgeted cost of work scheduled, metrics for measuring the value of work in a project and forecasts/scheduling.

From what I've seen so far it looks like an interesting subject. I've managed projects before, just not at the scale that this likely would be. I'm assuming this company is a contractor with the government because that's where you find extensive use of EVM. Can even get a certification for it, but it requires a certain level of schooling and verified hours of project management.

I'm not sure my prior project management experience will count, but it can't hurt to try.

The job description was a bit vague on some of required tasks, so I'm not entirely sure how much will be EVM and how much will be budget/financial analysis. I know EVM involves that analysis, but just not sure the scope of it. The upshot is that this would look killer on my resume.

Will keep you posted.

Tbh, not directly, but I've been reading up on it. It's essentially dealing with managing projects, particularly large, complex projects that requires tracking progress and performance over the life of the project. They can include things like budgeted cost of work scheduled, metrics for measuring the value of work in a project and forecasts/scheduling.

From what I've seen so far it looks like an interesting subject. I've managed projects before, just not at the scale that this likely would be. I'm assuming this company is a contractor with the government because that's where you find extensive use of EVM. Can even get a certification for it, but it requires a certain level of schooling and verified hours of project management.

I'm not sure my prior project management experience will count, but it can't hurt to try.

The job description was a bit vague on some of required tasks, so I'm not entirely sure how much will be EVM and how much will be budget/financial analysis. I know EVM involves that analysis, but just not sure the scope of it. The upshot is that this would look killer on my resume.

Will keep you posted.

Yep, you've got the gist of it. You're absolutely correct about it being part of managing projects, and especially with government-related projects.

I learned it enough to get my PMP certification and haven't used it since. :hihi:

I only mention that because PMI is a great resource to get some basic information about it. Here's a good intro, and fair warning, this is really dry stuff:

https://www.pmi.org/learning/library/earned-value-management-systems-analysis-8026

I think the best part of the article, IMO, is the little table with Item and Questions columns that do a nice job of explaining the terms in short questions. Keep those terms straight, and then all the formulas will make total sense.

Yep, you've got the gist of it. You're absolutely correct about it being part of managing projects, and especially with government-related projects.

I learned it enough to get my PMP certification and haven't used it since. :hihi:

I only mention that because PMI is a great resource to get some basic information about it. Here's a good intro, and fair warning, this is really dry stuff:

https://www.pmi.org/learning/library/earned-value-management-systems-analysis-8026

I think the best part of the article, IMO, is the little table with Item and Questions columns that do a nice job of explaining the terms in short questions. Keep those terms straight, and then all the formulas will make total sense.

Thanks! Appreciate the tips. :9:

Technical writing for CMMI compliance is bone dry, but pays well. I didn't do the certification, just the work. :hihi:

Technical writing for CMMI compliance is bone dry, but pays well. I didn't do the certification, just the work. :hihi:

I'll read all kinds of bone dry stuff if it gets me work. :hihi:

So...I get a response from the guy stating one of the managers is out of town this week and the other one isn't available today, and he said he'll probably follow up next week. This sounds all too familiar...meh. I hope he's serious, but I've heard this story before. So...the search continues.

Have you tried job searches at:

Here is one that was posted today at Georgetown University Law Center for budget analysis 2: https://www.higheredjobs.com/search/details.cfm?JobCode=176961810&Title=Budget Analyst 2 - Georgetown University Law Center

Thanks, I've applied to several similar positions at G'town before. But I haven't seen this specific one. Will check it out. Thanks! :9:

Fwiw, they usually want someone with higher education experience, which I don't have. It's a significant disadvantage when competing with hundreds of other applicants. I still apply, but haven't ever gotten a follow up after an application.

Just catching up. The last big phone interview you had. They're ghosting you, but were you going through a recruiter? Did they ghost you too? Is it a specific recruiting company? Sometimes their recruiters bounce around, maybe that person left the recruiting company, so your file is in limbo.

All of my experiences with interviews was that if I got the job, I heard within a day or two. The slowest I've seen offers from our company is about a week (based on bringing people in still). If I had to wait for a week or more, I either got a FOAD letter or radio silence. I'd rather get a FOAD than nothing.

Just catching up. The last big phone interview you had. They're ghosting you, but were you going through a recruiter? Did they ghost you too? Is it a specific recruiting company? Sometimes their recruiters bounce around, maybe that person left the recruiting company, so your file is in limbo.

All of my experiences with interviews was that if I got the job, I heard within a day or two. The slowest I've seen offers from our company is about a week (based on bringing people in still). If I had to wait for a week or more, I either got a FOAD letter or radio silence. I'd rather get a FOAD than nothing.

Definitely, and it was a senior recruiter for the company I interviewed with, not a recruiting/staffing agency. It started as a referral from a poster here and apparently, I got ghosted hard. Three follow up emails without a response after the interview with the hiring manager. No idea whether I should keep emailing until I get a response, or just not waste my time. Meh.

I'm still applying to other positions. After the post by slaym, it gave me the idea of checking at Gallaudet University where I used to work as a minister. There is an accounting position that I'm qualified for and I think would be a great fit. Applied yesterday. We'll see if I get any traction there. Just hoping they haven't filled the position and still doing interviews. They are looking for someone with fluency in ASL, and I have that in spades.

If I end up working there, this whole job search experience would come full-circle, lol. I don't know what the pay/benefits are, but hoping it's on par with other positions I've been looking at.

So, quick update. One, I've got an interview this Thursday for a corporate accounting position. It looks like this is a staffing company who needs one at their corporate headquarters. I've actually talked with the recruiter a few times before for a different position that fell through. I had applied for a data analyst position with them and the recruiter noticed and said that I'd get a better salary at the corporate accounting position, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm also currently in talks with an organization in Texas that is searching for a Chief Business Officer. This is a unique opportunity because it's an executive level position that's been open a while. They are looking for a very specific set of qualifications, and I check nearly all the boxes. The only thing I don't have is a CPA. And I don't think that's a deal-breaker for them because they contacted me for more information after sending my resume and cover letter. The biggest issue is the location. I'd likely have to find a one room rental or a family willing to take me in short-term until I get my bearings there. Family would stay in Virginia until the kids finish school. Not ideal, but being that it's an unusual opportunity to gain experience in an executive level position, that would be hard to turn down.

I've got a number of other leads pending as well, but it's slow going. Hopefully one of these opportunities pan out soon because I've had to borrow money to get through this month, and I'm not going to have that option again in the coming months.

Edit: Just got an email from the Texas organization to set up a video conference for next week. :eek:

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom