Job situation update (5 Viewers)

Doing some due diligence before my interview in a couple of hours. I think I'm pretty much ready. We'll see how it goes. I'm just ready to get to work!

Edit: There is little information in the way of reviews on the company. Nothing in glassdoor, and not much elsewhere. They seem to be a somewhat small contracting company, mostly to one government agency. I'm just slightly worried that with so little to go on, it's a bit of a leap in the dark. I guess we'll see.

Last edited:
Good luck knocking it out!
tenor.gif

So...it's 1 pm. I got my shirt and tie on, notes and ready to get started. I get the dreaded email...she's having technical difficulties and is unable to set up the video conference. Asks if she can just email the questions and if I can submit the responses this evening. Sure...but...?.

Always something, lol.

I'll take it if they offer the job, but my early impressions are not so great and I really hope to find something better sooner than later.

So...it's 1 pm. I got my shirt and tie on, notes and ready to get started. I get the dreaded email...she's having technical difficulties and is unable to set up the video conference. Asks if she can just email the questions and if I can submit the responses this evening. Sure...but...?.

Always something, lol.

Might be best if they don't see you. People tend to judge books by their cover and well.... ;)

Seriously though, I'm sure you'll do great on the questions.

Always something, lol.

I'll take it if they offer the job, but my early impressions are not so great and I really hope to find something better sooner than later.

I am frustrated for you because I've been there and currently going through this now, although I have a job at the moment (One that I hate).

I really do hope it works out for you.

Might be best if they don't see you. People tend to judge books by their cover and well.... ;)

Seriously though, I'm sure you'll do great on the questions.

Well, it's not like they can't find me on LinkedIn. The recruiter and I are actually connected there. I don't know if that's a good or not so good thing. :hihi:

I am frustrated for you because I've been there and currently going through this now, although I have a job at the moment (One that I hate).

I really do hope it works out for you.

I hope you find a better opportunity, and one that you enjoy. Wish you all the best as well. Appreciate the well-wishes. :9:

too bad you're not a construction estimator.

I'd do it. How hard can it be? :hihi: People are building all the time here. I've had several approach me about selling real estate. But I dunno. It's just tough to build from the ground up at the stage of my life I'm in right now. I'd just like a steady, reliable income at this point.

But, I have zero experience in construction. Closest I've come to it are those shows featuring flipping homes. Heheh.

• 1Like
Reactions: dtc
Hey sorry about your situation. Although a bit different I faced something similar soon after graduating college in 2001. Thankfully I had family so didn't have to worry about rent/food, and didn't have a family to support of my own. Although it took me 8 years to find something relevant to my major, and worked various jobs until then. Hope you have better luck.

I am cochlear implant user so I can sympathize with your hearing loss. Fortunately for what I do (software engineer) it doesn't effect my work as much as something like sales would be, though conference calls we have can be tough.

Cold hires are pretty difficult to make. I haven't read the full thread, but if you haven't exhausted your personal network (friends/family/former coworkers), that would be my first step. Its how I've gotten almost every job I've ever had. If you have, but haven't heard from them in a while, an occasional reminder can't hurt.

Hey sorry about your situation. Although a bit different I faced something similar soon after graduating college in 2001. Thankfully I had family so didn't have to worry about rent/food, and didn't have a family to support of my own. Although it took me 8 years to find something relevant to my major, and worked various jobs until then. Hope you have better luck.

I am cochlear implant user so I can sympathize with your hearing loss. Fortunately for what I do (software engineer) it doesn't effect my work as much as something like sales would be, though conference calls we have can be tough.

Cold hires are pretty difficult to make. I haven't read the full thread, but if you haven't exhausted your personal network (friends/family/former coworkers), that would be my first step. Its how I've gotten almost every job I've ever had. If you have, but haven't heard from them in a while, an occasional reminder can't hurt.

Interesting regarding the CI. I've considered the procedure before, but after talking with a lot of CI recipients over the years, I decided to stick with my hearing aids. They certainly aren't perfect, but I'm pretty comfortable with them. Where I struggle most are in noisy settings, or group popcorn discussions which are difficult for me to follow. I excel in 1 on 1 situations and with panels where 1 person at a time is speaking. If I could start over, I'd probably be an engineer or software programmer myself. But I was always interested in business and liked to think of myself as an entrepreneur.

Good thoughts. Networking is my lifeline right now. I do a lot of applications, but lately I've been reaching out to former coworkers and family. It was the first thing I did when I started hunting, and I've been circling back to it a good bit lately. Nothing has panned out yet, but I know things like this can take time and the right opportunity can open up where someone can help get my foot in the door.

I have been talking frequently with a good friend and coworker from my last full-time position where I was laid off due to workforce reductions. He told me that their group is going through a major shakeup right now, and they may end up having to hire someone to pick up the slack. It's possible I may end up back on board, but he said it would be at least 6 weeks before they nail down a plan for the group.

I really, really want to go back to work there. I loved the job and the people I worked with. But, I don't know if I have 6 weeks to wait, and even then, it's no guarantee I'd be brought back on the team.

I did answer all of the questions the interviewer emailed me today, and I hope it will make a good impression on their corporate team. We'll see. I've got another interview a week from today as well. I've actually been ramping up my efforts even more because I want to keep the momentum up until someone brings me on board.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom