Job thread (Corona Virus addition) (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
So, good news, I have been contacted by an employer who wants to interview me. Don't have my hopes up, but it looks likes a good union job. They want to interview me on zoom, never used zoom. What's wrong with Skype or FaceTime?!?! Anyways, I'm probably the worst at interviewing, so I'm open for technical support on zoom and interview tips.

I'm a little excited.

I have a Mac laptop, Mac iPad, chrome laptop, and Windows 7 PC. Which would you use for zoom interview?

Any one have some good advice on interview, would appreciate it. Just general advice is fine.

Feel free to add your job prospects or woes here.

1586813019762.png

So, good news, I have been contacted by an employer who wants to interview me. Don't have my hopes up, but it looks likes a good union job. They want to interview me on zoom, never used zoom. What's wrong with Skype or FaceTime?!?! Anyways, I'm probably the worst at interviewing, so I'm open for technical support on zoom and interview tips.

I'm a little excited.

I have a Mac laptop, Mac iPad, chrome laptop, and Windows 7 PC. Which would you use for zoom interview?

Any one have some good advice on interview, would appreciate it. Just general advice is fine.

Feel free to add your job prospects or woes here.

1586813019762.png
And what's the name of this potential employer???
Asking for a friend. :scratch:

Sonic, you can sign up for a free trial of Zoom. So you could do that, then set up your own Zoom meeting, then make sure you can connect to it, and check out how you look to the other side. Basically have one computer hosting the meeting then "join" with another device. Use one of the laptops to join.

Make sure whatever is behind you is nice and professional looking (office, bookshelf, or blank wall is fine). If you can, get the camera angle to where the camera is even with your eyes or looking slightly down on you. The "up your neck" angle you get from looking down on a web cam is terrible.

It's not super complicated, you'll do just fine.

If you get really stuck hit me up, I have a corporate subscription to Zoom for my company. I can set one up and let you connect to it and see if it works.

Sonic, you can sign up for a free trial of Zoom. So you could do that, then set up your own Zoom meeting, then make sure you can connect to it, and check out how you look to the other side. Basically have one computer hosting the meeting then "join" with another device. Use one of the laptops to join.

Make sure whatever is behind you is nice and professional looking (office, bookshelf, or blank wall is fine). If you can, get the camera angle to where the camera is even with your eyes or looking slightly down on you. The "up your neck" angle you get from looking down on a web cam is terrible.

If you get really stuck hit me up, I have a corporate subscription to Zoom for my company. I can set one up and let you connect to it and see if it works.

Great tips, thank you. My brother said, he will help me with a mock interview on zoom, so that should get rid of the technical hang ups.

no advice other than be yourself, ask questions and good luck!

Thanks!

Make sure whatever is behind you is nice and professional looking (office, bookshelf, or blank wall is fine). If you can, get the camera angle to where the camera is even with your eyes or looking slightly down on you.

Actually you don't even need an account to use Zoom conferencing.
If you download the app, you only need the Meeting ID number and the password (if they're using one) to join the meeting.
But it IS better to at least sign up for a (free) basic account so that you can adjust the settings the way you like them. It's also better to use the PC or Mac versions of the program because of the added features in those versions. It's best by far to have a meeting with someone who is not holding a mobile device or tablet for the meeting. All that moving around can be annoying.

Just get a good webcam to hang on your monitor (unless you have a laptop with a good built-in camera) and you can look great in a zoom meeting! :9:

As others have said, do a bit of testing/homework on Zoom, clean yourself up as best you can and have a respectable background image. If you have children or pets running around, do your best to keep them occupied elsewhere during the interview.

Not sure what the potential job involves, but don't overthink it. Certainly prepare, but don't outsmart yourself.

Best of luck! We're sure you'll do just fine.

Good advice here.

i’ve had a couple interviews recently using Zoom; fortunately i had used it with a former employer sporadically, so it wasnt totally foreign to me.. Actually, it’s really no different than Skype or FaceTime.. i personally use my iPad, but even though i usually use the, what is it called, landscape view for typing, i turn the iPad sideways (longways?) so that i have the camera of the iPad positioned on top.. then i set the iPad atop of a couple of thick books and whatever else i have handy on top of my desk so that, as LC mentioned, the camera is eye level to me.. then i make sure that when I’m speaking to the other person, I’m not looking at their face , I’m looking at the tiny camera lens on my iPad so that it appears to them that I’m looking them in the eye... there’s a little bit of an art to it, but it isnt hard to get the hang of.. and yes, definItaly do a practice run, flip the camera around, etc before the actually interview so you’re good to go.

I’d do it from the Mac. Keeps your hands free and you can easily move and adjust it. Try making a practice zoom call with a friend.

Good advice. The Mac is my best computer at the moment also. My Windows computer is far from the cutting edge.

As others have said, do a bit of testing/homework on Zoom, clean yourself up as best you can and have a respectable background image. If you have children or pets running around, do your best to keep them occupied elsewhere during the interview.

Not sure what the potential job involves, but don't overthink it. Certainly prepare, but don't outsmart yourself.

Best of luck! We're sure you'll do just fine.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. No pets and no children, so no worries. The professional background will be a little work. Maybe a white wall will have to do. lol

Good advice here.

i’ve had a couple interviews recently using Zoom; fortunately i had used it with a former employer sporadically, so it wasnt totally foreign to me.. Actually, it’s really no different than Skype or FaceTime.. i personally use my iPad, but even though i usually use the, what is it called, landscape view for typing, i turn the iPad sideways (longways?) so that i have the camera of the iPad positioned on top.. then i set the iPad atop of a couple of thick books and whatever else i have handy on top of my desk so that, as LC mentioned, the camera is eye level to me.. then i make sure that when I’m speaking to the other person, I’m not looking at their face , I’m looking at the tiny camera lens on my iPad so that it appears to them that I’m looking them in the eye... there’s a little bit of an art to it, but it isnt hard to get the hang of.. and yes, definItaly do a practice run, flip the camera around, etc before the actually interview so you’re good to go.

So, do I need to give the manager my zoom i.d., so he can call me? I just want to respond to his/her e-mail with all the information they need. Thanks for the Zoom tips.

Good advice. The Mac is my best computer at the moment also. My Windows computer is far from the cutting edge.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. No pets and no children, so no worries. The professional background will be a little work. Maybe a white wall will have to do. lol

I dont think it’s even that the background needs to be ‘professional’, just that it shouldn’t show the half eaten containers of food on your counter, or the pile of laundry behind you, as is the case with my place right now. :hihi:

So, do I need to give the manager my zoom i.d., so he can call me? I just want to respond to his/her e-mail with all the information they need. Thanks for the Zoom tips.

With the interviews I’ve had recently, the recruiter sent an email to me and to the interviewer, with a Zoom meeting IDand password.. so no one has to call anyone, we both just log onto Zoom at the same time with the ID and PW , and the meeting starts.

then i make sure that when I’m speaking to the other person, I’m not looking at their face , I’m looking at the tiny camera lens on my iPad so that it appears to them that I’m looking them in the eye.

Ah yeah, forgot about this one because I've gotten so used to doing it. This is a good one too, @sonicboom

If you're looking the person in the eye on your screen, to them it will appear like you're looking at the top of their head, lol. Look at the camera

And what's the name of this potential employer???
Asking for a friend. :scratch:

That I'm not at liberty to say, it's strictly confidential. lol It's through a hiring agency, if that helps your "friend" any. Indeed is where I have been mostly applying at. Just apply to jobs that you think you're qualified for, then wait.

Ah yeah, forgot about this one because I've gotten so used to doing it. This is a good one too, @sonicboom

If you're looking the person in the eye on your screen, to them it will appear like you're looking at the top of their head, lol. Look at the camera

Yes, great advice.

With the interviews I’ve had recently, the recruiter sent an email to me and to the interviewer, with a Zoom meeting IDand password.. so no one has to call anyone, we both just log onto Zoom at the same time with the ID and PW , and the meeting starts.

O.k., thanks for that. Will send confirmation e-mail to recruiter now.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom