Joe Buck And Troy Aikman Caught On Hot Mic Mocking NFL Military Pregame Flyover (2 Viewers)

Some of ya'll are clearly not familiar with the Military's / Fed's budget golden rule of "Spend your entire budget this year, or lose funding next year"....

It's been this way forever, regardless of which political puppet head has been in the WH.

I Don't disagree with Troy or Joe (It's a waste of tax dollars)... but this specific situation is a drop in the "fiscal insanity bucket" from a Military / Fed Government spending perspective.

It depends on the flyover - they're not all created equally. I strongly suspect that a fighter or tanker flyover by an Air Guard unit is less expensive than the Thunderbirds flying over the Super Bowl.

But like someone said, if they're folded into the normal flight-hour requirements schedule, they're arguably no increased cost at all.

The U.S. Navy and Air Force issued a joint statement that the flyovers incurred taxpayers “no additional cost” because “pilots must execute a minimum number of flight hours to maintain proficiency.” The cost of flyovers is also already a part of the military’s operational budget, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t expensive: high performance jets burn at least 1,200 gallons of fuel per hour— that’s a cost of $109,000 for the fuel alone during the 2011 Super Bowl flyover, with the total cost clocking in at closer to $450,000.

Last edited:

I'm not sure of the point you're making by simply posting a link with no commentary. If you intend to adopt the entire contents of the link, I would point out that the article notes a projected cost of a Super Bowl flyover ($450K) based on fuel and flight hours estimates. It also gives a similar projection based on the 22 events that the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds fly (approx. $1.3M for those 22 events), also on fuel and time estimates.

The article doesn't attempt to determine whether flyover hours are folded into recurrency flight-hour requirements (which would offset the cost, perhaps even to zero if they're on a full 1:1 basis). And because most of these events (1) aren't the Super Bowl, and (2) don't feature a full flight team such as the BAs or the Thunderbirds, these figures aren't terribly useful for the overall picture of cost of flyovers.

Then it goes on to talk about the cost of modern military aircraft, but I'll presume you're not suggesting that the need for sports-event flyovers is factored into overall military aircraft program costs because that would be ridiculous.

Fuel cost: a few hundred
A few hundred?
They spent that lining up for takeoff.
Those flights (mostly) aren’t training flights at all and fighters typically aren’t flying training sorties on Saturday or Sunday. People were brought in specifically to launch and recover those aircraft. There is also work to be done both before and after.
It’s a bit more complicated than most people think. I never cared for having to give up my weekend for a completely unnecessary dog and pony show. These flyovers are so routine that most don’t seem to notice anyway.

A few hundred?
Those flights (mostly) aren’t training flights at all and fighters typically aren’t flying training sorties on Saturday or Sunday. People were brought in specifically to launch and recover those aircraft. There is also work to be done both before and after.
It’s a bit more complicated than most people think. I never cared for having to give up my weekend for a completely unnecessary dog and pony show. These flyovers are so routine that most don’t seem to notice anyway.
I thought it was reservists doing most of the flyovers.

A few hundred?

But isn't it true that if the flight time is included in proficiency training for the personnel involved, the total added cost is minimal? In other words, if the team doing the flyover on Sunday counts those hours to proficiency in lieu of regular flight hours during the week, it would be misleading to report those costs as "incurred by the flyover" - at least to the extent that costs are the same. Any additional cost categories would indeed be attributable.

What if all flyovers were conducted by aircraft from the WWII era, which is the last time the vast majority of America felt good about itself when it came to military use? We could all bask in the glowy-glowness of saving the world from Nazis (ish) and regale ourselves with stories of the good ol' days. The military-industrial complex would still get its commercial and, who knows, maybe score a few nostalgia recruits.

A few hundred?

yes i was talking about North Korean parades. I don’t remember them involving their planes but Im sure they probably do.

Sometimes Guard, sometimes Reserves, sometimes Active duty units.

I like when the old-timers fly over the old-timers.

Those are cool. Admittedly the buzz of the props isn't a thrilling as the scream of the jets, but the nostalgia value is premium.

I like the flyovers. The pilots will need to log flight hours anyway and this is just folded into that to a large degree I think. The empty stadium flyovers, idk. But I imagine the teams playing can enjoy them as much as the fans.

But isn't it true that if the flight time is included in proficiency training for the personnel involved, the total added cost is minimal? In other words, if the team doing the flyover on Sunday counts those hours to proficiency in lieu of regular flight hours during the week, it would be misleading to report those costs as "incurred by the flyover" - at least to the extent that costs are the same. Any additional cost categories would indeed be attributable.
If it’s actually proficiency training then sure. But that might only be pilots getting required takeoff and landings. But it isn’t always that. Sometimes it’s a pilot getting just enough seat time to continue flight pay. Sometimes they are caught up on hours and it’s just extra seat time.

yup. So gross, but they need bodies for the death machine.
Just wondering. If you were "in charge", what would you do with the military? Would you 'defund" it? Let foreign powers take over? You can't have a military without there being casualties as long as there are evil people and governments in the world. The least we can do is respect our military and be thankful that they are willing to put their lives on the line to protect people like you and me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom