Joe Buck And Troy Aikman Caught On Hot Mic Mocking NFL Military Pregame Flyover (1 Viewer)

Kicks

All-Pro
Reaction score
TROY AIKMAN: That’s a lot of jet fuel just to do a little flyover.
JOE BUCK: That’s your hard-earned money and your tax dollars at work!
AIKMAN: That stuff ain’t happening with [a] Kamala-Biden ticket. I’ll tell you that right now, partner.

ADDED:
HOWEVER:
At the end of the day, it’s about recruiting. The military is giving sports leagues money to advertise. The military needs fresh recruits every year, and it’s putting money where the eyeballs are: sports. In 2016, more than 16 million people would watch the average NFL game. That’s a big audience. And a lot of those viewers are young and gauging their career interests — a jackpot for military recruiters.

To be fair, the NFL did return some of the money it received from the military after the public learned what was going on. It’s also not illegal or necessarily unethical for it to have received money in the first place. But you should know looks can be deceiving — especially all of that camouflage.

Last edited:
TROY AIKMAN: That’s a lot of jet fuel just to do a little flyover.
JOE BUCK: That’s your hard-earned money and your tax dollars at work!
AIKMAN: That stuff ain’t happening with [a] Kamala-Biden ticket. I’ll tell you that right now, partner.

It's all pretty silly - flyovers have become part of the national tradition for big sports events, and I don't see them stopping under any administration absent some kind of serious financial crisis.

As a matter of fact, flyovers did stop for a while in 2013 during the budget "sequester" forced by congressional republicans to attempt to curtail discretionary spending during the Obama administration.

Military flyovers are approved training flights that would occur anyway, using flying hours already budgeted and purchased. So whether those aircraft fly over ocean, desert, or are routed over a stadium full (or 25% full) of American taxpayers who deserve a chance to see what keeps them (and you) from having to learn Russian or Chinese, it isn't costing taxpayers anything new or extra. Televised coverage expands the viewers and impact.

Flyovers happened with Clinton in office, Obama in office... and if Biden-Harris win, they will happen still. It's neither to Trump's credit nor detriment that they occur.

I agree, Spending military money on Football games is dumb.
It’s about recruiting. The military is giving sports leagues money to advertise. The military needs fresh recruits every year, and it’s putting money where the eyeballs are: sports. In 2016, more than 16 million people would watch the average NFL game. That’s a big audience. And a lot of those viewers are young and gauging their career interests — a jackpot for military recruiters.

Expensive during this time. Glad we have Hurricane protection under control.

It depends on the flyover - they're not all created equally. I strongly suspect that a fighter or tanker flyover by an Air Guard unit is less expensive than the Thunderbirds flying over the Super Bowl.

But like someone said, if they're folded into the normal flight-hour requirements schedule, they're arguably no increased cost at all.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom