Joe Burrow “I have leverage” (1 Viewer)

He does have leverage just as Eli had leverage, and just like Eli facing the threat of going to a lackluster SD Chargers, I don’t blame Joe for not wanting to go to Cincy.

Take care of yourself Joe, and it will all work itself out. You shouldn’t have to waste your life playing for a crap franchise.

:lol::lolup: THIS :lol::lolup:

I just think we need to drop the “he’s a grown man, he should decide his fate” angle, because it’s absolutely nonsense. He can do whatever he wants. He doesn’t have to play football ever again. But if he aspires to join the NFL, he has to adhere to the NFL’s ways. Rocking that boat is being a diva..

Again, I’m not convinced yet that these are Burrow’s actual feelings and not people speculating out of nothing. The Bengals have a decent cast of skill players. There’s plenty of worse destinations..
No, I'm not convinced those are his feelings either. But by the same token, I'm not convinced by your argument that it would mean he's being a diva who isn't prepared to adhere to the NFL once he's IN the NFL. Nothing Eli did once he got to the Giants was Diva-esque.

I'm more interested in what Burrow is NOT saying.

Most folks who are sure-fire can't-miss prospects say things like "I just want to go #1 overall, doesn't matter who I play for"; or "playing for the ____________ would be a dream come true." When it's a team from your home state looking at drafting you, I'd think #2 would be more likely. When is the last time you heard a projected #1 overall pick talk about leverage? LEVERAGE?! Leverage for what...you're in line to be the top overall pick....what's leverage going to do for you?

My best guess, and that's what it is, a guess, is that he wants to go #1 overall, but he's signaling that he wants a team to trade up to that spot and take him. But he's walking a fine line. If he goes too far, Bengals lose leverage and likely receive less of an offer, as teams are aware Burrow doesn't want to be a Bengal. If Bengals can't extract what they want from that #1 overall pick, they may decide to just keep the pick and then he still has to play for the Bengals. Unless he sits the year out and tries to re-enter the next year. But that would be silly. He has family living in that state...don't need any die-hard Bengal psycho fans tossing Molotov Cocktails at family members or their property.

The trick is to signal just enough that he doesn't want to play for Bengals (without burning bridges with Bengals) that teams are willing to pony up for a big trade, driving up his price for the Bengals' benefit. That's the win-win-win scenario....Bengals get the farm, Burrow gets out of Cincy, and someone else gets the best QB prospect since Peyton Manning.

I'm convinced he doesn't want to play for Cincinnati. Doesn't mean he won't, but I think the Bengals are #32 on his list of preferences. I kinda feel for the guy. Imagine growing up in Georgia...Falcon country. But the Falcons have always sucked and you never were a fan, despite the geography. And you attend Georgia U to play football for all the right reasons, but it just doesn't work out for you due to plain old bad luck. But another suitor comes calling and you decide to transfer, simply for the opportunity. And it pays off BIG TIME....you have one of the best seasons that anyone who plays your position has ever had and you win a National Championship! On top of that, you're now inline to be the #1 overall pick! Awesome right?! But you'll be playing for the Falcons!

How many of us would be excited at that prospect? How many of us could at least say the right things about playing for the Falcons? How many of us would try to signal that you'd like a team....ANY OTHER TEAM....to trade up and take me? I think I just described Burrow's situation pretty accurately. We'll see...

As one of the few Saints fans that’s not an LSU guy, I get that you guys would take every inch tonsil deep, but try your best to see this from an unbiased angle and it’s clearly not how the NFL should function. As fans you should be able to acknowledge that.

Players shouldn’t have a say in where they play? I hope you see the problem in that logic.

Well looks like the current GM was the one to hire/keep Marvin Lewis for 16 years, that be enough for me not to want to play in Cincy

Actually, this is not accurate. According to Albert Breer, Mike Brown's daughter, Katie Blackburn took the decision to hire Zac Taylor.

She has been working on contract issues, and now it seems that she is taking the decisions for the team.

Who knows? There may be a change in their way of doing business in Cincinnati. I think we will learn this if the bengals are finally active on free agency. Fixing the offensive line will be a good start.

And also, it really is too early in the process, Burrow has not talked to the bengals, to Zac Taylor in particular. They may have an interesting plan to present to Joe. So, frankly, I don't think Joe has even make his mind about playing or not for the bengals. Taylor may be working now on designing an offensive system around Joe. He has two good running backs (Mixon and Bernard), good receivers and tight ends. Not a bad place to start.

One thing is for sure. If I was Katie Blackburn, I will draft Burrow with the first pick, no matter what he says. I will then wait until the 4th pick of the draft to deal the most interesting deal possible with the dolphins, who indeed are pursuing Burrow. Just remember that the dolphins have 3 first round picks and two second round picks this year. They also have two first round picks and two second picks next year. I will wait and squeeze them as much as I could.

If Joe decides to wait, he won't be guaranteed to be the first quarterback taken next year. It is a good quarterback class headed by Trevor Lawrence. Time is on the bengals side to trade that pick if they are forced to do it.

So yes, Joe has leverage, but the bengals have a even more.

Last edited:
I just think we need to drop the “he’s a grown man, he should decide his fate” angle, because it’s absolutely nonsense. He can do whatever he wants. He doesn’t have to play football ever again. But if he aspires to join the NFL, he has to adhere to the NFL’s ways. Rocking that boat is being a diva..

Again, I’m not convinced yet that these are Burrow’s actual feelings and not people speculating out of nothing. The Bengals have a decent cast of skill players. There’s plenty of worse destinations..

I’m just saying, most people have a problem with the way the NFL handles just about everything. So why not rock the boat? Just because things have been a certain way for a while doesn’t mean that’s how they need to stay. I’ve got no problem with drafted players having a say in where they play. And I’m not sure why anyone would. “It’s been that way forever and should stay that way” is not a valid argument

The NFL knows that he is going to end up on an NFL franchise somewhere. Why would they worry where he plays, as long as they can highlight his name on any promo of the team he'll be playing for? The NFL just needs household names to bill. In fact it does raise more interest in the product if Joe can go to some team that he can move to the top of the rankings and where football fans will want to follow the career of Joe Burrow.

Having him turn into a 'what might have been' player doesn't help anyone out very much.

If Joe Burrow disappears today and is never heard from again, the money the NFL misses out on is pennies on the dollar.
I’m just saying, most people have a problem with the way the NFL handles just about everything. So why not rock the boat? Just because things have been a certain way for a while doesn’t mean that’s how they need to stay. I’ve got no problem with drafted players having a say in where they play. And I’m not sure why anyone would. “It’s been that way forever and should stay that way” is not a valid argument

Give players the power to pick where they’re drafted and in 5 years you’ll either be wondering why the NFL sucks so much, or you’ll be sad that it doesn’t exist anymore.

Heck, I think all of us here being Saints fans are all about whatever would give the NFL [meaning Goodell] the biggest wrench in His plans !! So, certainly not being "special" about "the NFL way".

Give players the power to pick where they’re drafted and in 5 years you’ll either be wondering why the NFL sucks so much, or you’ll be sad that it doesn’t exist anymore.
We're talking about ONE high profile player, not the 250 or so "rank and file" players. And we're also not talking about saying, Okay, Joe, it's all your choice. But Goodell thanks you for your concern over the poor NFL.

If Joe Burrow disappears today and is never heard from again, the money the NFL misses out on is pennies on the dollar.

Bs. Salary caps still exist and Teams still have to WANT said player. Give players the power to play where they want and you’d have a bunch of happy Nfl players playing for their favorite team.

And then you have players Peyton Manning. Don’t believe Eli or even Elway are names that are included in conversations that include Peyton, Brees or Brady as all time greats.

So the previous 2 QBs who pulled a power play, Elway and Eli both have 2 SB rings. Do what you have to do to win Joe because it will not happen in Cincy.

Bs. Salary caps still exist and Teams still have to WANT said player. Give players the power to play where they want and you’d have a bunch of happy Nfl players playing for their favorite team.

Put power to choose in players hands and you have maybe 6-10 teams that are legitimately contending to win championships and 25 or so teams scratching for relevance, or bottom dwelling. Try filling out a watchable schedule of games every Sunday when 75%+ of your league is irrelevant to the championship picture. This is not college football, where hicks like me live in Arkansas with nothing to do but watch our team scratch their way to mediocre. These are large markets. 25 fan bases with irrelevant franchises don’t buy tickets, especially when at the end of every year they don’t get to choose the best prospect to add to their team. The league dies if you give players power..

The problem with leverage is pressure. Can you pressure the Bengals to trade or not draft you? I Think the Bengals have more leverage because they can still draft you and trade you to whoever they want, including another team you might not want to play for. They have the #1 pick. #1 pick money is hard to turn down for any player. That being said, I hope Drew has an Elway type of season in his last go around because he's been the only sure thing here in New Orleans for over a decade. While I want a player like Burrow, We have an opportunity to get Drew just enough to keep his SB aspirations alive in 2020.

Put power to choose in players hands and you have maybe 6-10 teams that are legitimately contending to win championships and 25 or so teams scratching for relevance, or bottom dwelling. Try filling out a watchable schedule of games every Sunday when 75%+ of your league is irrelevant to the championship picture. This is not college football, where hicks like me live in Arkansas with nothing to do but watch our team scratch their way to mediocre. These are large markets. 25 fan bases with irrelevant franchises don’t buy tickets, especially when at the end of every year they don’t get to choose the best prospect to add to their team. The league dies if you give players power..

Then maybe it needs to. Everyone should be against giant corporations owning people

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom