Joe Burrow “I have leverage” (1 Viewer)

Since Drew’s decision, I have watching the football shows. Second topic after Drew has been Burrow.

I agree with Mike Wilson, Louis Riddick, Field Yates and most analyst on the thought that Burrow will not sit for a year, and will play for the bengals.

Burrow doesn’t have a contract with the Yankees as Elway, or an incredibly rich family like the Mannings.

Schefter has said previously, as Mel Kyper said today, that Burrow will be picked and will play for the bengals.

Reality of the matter, Burrow gains nothing by saying this early he is ready to play in Cincinnati.

I guess time will tell.

But as Wilson said today, and as I wrote before, it is too early in the process.
The counter argument I saw was 7 years, and it's not like when Eli came out an you cashed in your first contract. Now it's all about getting to your 2nd contract. I don't think he will hold out but I can understand the cheap franchise angle (not investing in scouts etc. and having a coach I never heard of).

The counter argument I saw was 7 years, and it's not like when Eli came out an you cashed in your first contract. Now it's all about getting to your 2nd contract. I don't think he will hold out but I can understand the cheap franchise angle (not investing in scouts etc. and having a coach I never heard of).
Agreed, maybe the pressure is for the bengals to change their ways and invest on a better team.

Good thing the draft is non existent in other professions and we're all free to choose our employer. The draft is only a tool to help govern parity and competitive balance. There was a time not long ago when there was no such thing as "free agency". Unless traded or cut, you were stuck with the franchise that drafted you until they decided they were done with you.

To be offended that a rookie doesn't want to play for xx franchise is akin to being upset that anyone would like to enter a free market in any profession. Not all franchises are equal. No matter the profession, if you have enough talent, skill, ethic, and production, you will have more leverage, more "exception to the rule" than most. Eli did what he did because he COULD. If Burrow manages to not have to play for Cincy, it is because he is exceptional and valuable enough to make someone else want him enough that the Bengals decide to go along with it.

And if you had that kind of demand, you'd damn sure put yourself in the best position you could; otherwise you'd be a fool to be loyal to an antiquated system that wasn't designed with your best interest at heart.

Why would his college stats change his leverage? The NFL needs Joe Burrow a lot less than Joe Burrow needs the NFL.
Because in the celebrated 150 years of college football, no QB has ever come close to mastering the position the way he did, against (7) top 10 teams in a single season, making vaunted defenses look silly, averaging a touchdown per quarter, despite not playing in many 4th quarters, and shattering nearly every offensive single season record, never looking flustered, responding to pressure with precision and accuracy and back breaking drag his sack on the opponent sideline moxie?

With Manning, Rivers, Brees, Brady, and Big Ben all on their way out, the NFL needs Burrow plenty.

Good thing the draft is non existent in other professions and we're all free to choose our employer. The draft is only a tool to help govern parity and competitive balance. There was a time not long ago when there was no such thing as "free agency". Unless traded or cut, you were stuck with the franchise that drafted you until they decided they were done with you.

To be offended that a rookie doesn't want to play for xx franchise is akin to being upset that anyone would like to enter a free market in any profession. Not all franchises are equal. No matter the profession, if you have enough talent, skill, ethic, and production, you will have more leverage, more "exception to the rule" than most. Eli did what he did because he COULD. If Burrow manages to not have to play for Cincy, it is because he is exceptional and valuable enough to make someone else want him enough that the Bengals decide to go along with it.

And if you had that kind of demand, you'd damn sure put yourself in the best position you could; otherwise you'd be a fool to be loyal to an antiquated system that wasn't designed with your best interest at heart.

do you remember that time? More specifically, do you remember being a fan of One of the have nots during that time? Moat people would choose a team from another city back then. I realize the parity measures have flaws but they also worked to a large degree.

Give players the power to pick where they’re drafted and in 5 years you’ll either be wondering why the NFL sucks so much, or you’ll be sad that it doesn’t exist anymore.
"Players" is inaccurate. Once every 20 years or so a singular "player" can be so good or so wanted that he has the ability to make the system work for him. Eli made clear he would not play for the Chargers, but the Charges still drafted him, and traded their rights to negotiate a contract with him to the Giants for a nice return. The system didn't blow up. Still works perfectly fine. If Joe Burrow can negotiate never having to play a snap for the Bengals and either being drafted and traded by the Bengals, or entice another team to offer the Bengals compensation they'll accept in exchange for the rights to Burrow, the system is still working. "Players" aren't deciding where they're drafted. A singular player, who by HIS MERITS has leveraged himself into a position of great demand, will have decided who he is not going to play for. It's not setting precedent. It's working within the established system, because in the end, someone still has to pay a the price the Bengals would set.

If you can get a company of your choice to buy you away from a company you do not wish to work for, then chances are they feel you are very valuable and you have worked yourself into a position of power and opportunity that 99.9% of your coworkers will never see.

do you remember that time? More specifically, do you remember being a fan of One of the have nots during that time? Moat people would choose a team from another city back then. I realize the parity measures have flaws but they also worked to a large degree.
I once had a Browns fan laugh at me for being a Saints fan. I even know when it was. February 4th, 2009.

Yeah I remember, and the Saints were always my team, back to Bum Phillips days. They earned everything they had or didn't have. Until the right management structure was in place, they didn't see sustained success. Which is exactly the point. If you won't make the necessary changes to try and be better, you don't deserve better. I'm not arguing against parity measures. I'm stating it is absurd to be upset with a young man for not wanting to go to work for a crap organization and using any leverage he might have to put him in a better situation. If you are going to be upset with that, where is your outrage when crap team doesn't honor a contract and decides to cut a player? Point is it cuts both ways.

Yeah I remember, and the Saints were always my team, back to Bum Phillips days. They earned everything they had or didn't have. Until the right management structure was in place, they didn't see sustained success. Which is exactly the point. If you won't make the necessary changes to try and be better, you don't deserve better. I'm not arguing against parity measures. I'm stating it is absurd to be upset with a young man for not wanting to go to work for a crap organization and using any leverage he might have to put him in a better situation. If you are going to be upset with that, where is your outrage when crap team doesn't honor a contract and decides to cut a player? Point is it cuts both ways.

im not upset with him. But I am a fan of competitive football so I’m not going to spew that free market mess.

what odd timing lol
I know, right? I laughed right back at him how ludicrous it was for a Browns fan to laugh at a Saints fan, even then before we won the SB.

I'm in the minority here...but teams should earn thier draft picks. Reverse the draft order. Let shirt teams pick last like the bottom birches they are

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom