Joe Burrow or Trevor Lawrence. (1 Viewer)

football

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Sticky Post
I had this debate in my head yesterday and for the first time ever I can't decide. I kept going back and forth. Speaking objectively, who would you take? No question Joe has a great year. Numbers don't lie. He seems to be NFL ready due to the fact he benefited from having Joe Brady. Burrow has a quick release, great touch on the ball, and pocket awareness. But you can't deny Lawrence is real good himself. He destroyed Alabama last year as a freshman. He came up big this year in the playoffs. And in the first quarter, I thought he played better than Burrow. He is the type of quarterback that at any given moment he will win it for you. Both players are tall. Lawrence seems to have a stronger arms but not as accurate as Burrow. Given Burrow now and Lawrence next year with experience, who would you take now? To me I just can't decide.

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Yep, Burrow has the higher floor but Lawrence has the higher ceiling...
That’s probably the best way to put it.

They’re also both great leaders. But I feel like Burrow has the psycho competitiveness and rare ability to also be calm and let the game slow down in the big moments.

sbadeaux

All-Pro
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think Burrow is the first quarterback I see who is making complicated NFL throws with ease. He was accurate with his throws even in tight coverage. And yes right now the edge is Burrow. But with Lawrence, he has time. He brought them to 2 national championship game. He has a stronger arm and looks stronger and faster. So I have to see how Lawrence progress next season. This debate will continue for me for a while.
Well this is true. Kirk said last night they use the Saints passing game. They use the same routes, progressions, match up based reads and alignments. He said that has never been done before in college as it pertains to the whole passing game. Plays from the NFL sure, Complete play book, no.

When they gave Joe the new playbook, he said Joe looked at it and was through page 14 and not one play was like anything from last year. He also said the reason coaches don’t do that is because it’s too complex.

This is my opinion only.
I think Joe was able to unleash an NFL passing Game on college defenses for three reasons. First, He is much smarter than most. He is very intelligent. Second, since he already graduated, he was able to do NFL caliber preparation. He could live, eat and sleep with that playbook. Finally, the most underrated part, Brady brought over Payton’s passing game concepts. Whatever anyone else thinks of Payton, he created the most innovative and flexible passing game the NFL has seen since Bill Walsh introduced the West Coast Offense. Since 2006 no team has had the consistent year to year production from the passing game the saints have had. Truth be told it’s not even close even if you look at the Patriots. Again, passing game only.

Reaction score
I've seen two playoff games of Lawrence and I don't get the hype or why this is even a question. Yeah he has another year to develop but he's been a 60% passer over the years and the two games I've seen him it looked worse with lack of touch and consistency. He's not an NFL runner either.

sbadeaux

All-Pro
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That’s probably the best way to put it.

They’re also both great leaders. But I feel like Burrow has the psycho competitiveness and rare ability to also be calm and let the game slow down in the big moments.
What you just said is IT.

The reason one person is Jeff George, and one is Drew Brees the best to ever play.

Not saying Trevor will be George, I think he could be good to great. As of today, he is not as good. He is just not

sbadeaux

All-Pro
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've seen two playoff games of Lawrence and I don't get the hype or why this is even a question.
Me either.

Trevor looked washed up. He could not hit receivers and under threw several balls. He just does not have it anymore. When you loose it you can’t get it back.

Best thing for Clemson is to move on. Sure the guy won them a championship, but his time has passed. Time for new blood

Reaction score
I would take Burrow. His accuracy and feel for the game are unreal. The only thing Lawrence is better at is arm strength, but his accuracy and accuracy under pressure is shaky shaky at times. I was more impressed with Clemson's defense than Lawrence's play. And it's tough to predict whether someone can develop accuracy (both in the pocket and on the run). Burrow has Brees level qualities, if he gets paired with a great coach he'll be a great player in the NFL imo. At this point Lawrence is a question mark to me; he has the physical talent, but not the intangibles (the thing he has going is he is still young and has time to learn).

Reaction score
Me either.

Trevor looked washed up. He could not hit receivers and under threw several balls. He just does not have it anymore. When you loose it you can’t get it back.

Best thing for Clemson is to move on. Sure the guy won them a championship, but his time has passed. Time for new blood
Lol you would make a great GM

Reaction score
Me either.

I see what you did there.
Barking up the wrong tree as far as the Brees spin.

Lawrence has to play well first for him to earn that though. Maybe he has and I just caught two of the worst games of his career (which happen to be the rare good competition he faces).

The Moose

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Neither

Cuz I hope my team never sucks that bad to even be in the conversation for them.

On to the analysis I like Joe but he has an unreal cast around him.

No team in the NFL has an embarrassment of riches like him at LSU. The browns are the close but not that good.

I expect some real growing pains for him in the NFL.

The kid from Clemson is gonna be a good player at the next level but he has produced with less talent and scheme than Joe has.

That might help him in the next level where nobody has great players at all skill spots.

TheGooch

Stanky good!
Reaction score
Did you watch last nights game? Burrows is the man... end of discussion. Lawrence was barely 50% completion last night and couldn't hit open receivers. With a little bit of pressure his accuracy and timing is effected whereas Burrows will feel the pressure, move around and stay in the pocket and make a perfect throw or run if necessary

Yatman

threadkiller
Reaction score
All it takes is one injury to end a football career. Always go for the paper.
QFT, "paper" being an NFL contract at the earliest convenience. Advantage, Burrow.

Lawrence has already proven his upside, and is currently #1 as soon as available.

Unfortunately, as TT (and other hot, then injured college QBs) has experienced, your stock often has nowhere to go but down.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
What you just said is IT.

The reason one person is Jeff George, and one is Drew Brees the best to ever play.

Not saying Trevor will be George, I think he could be good to great. As of today, he is not as good. He is just not
Right now Burrow by a mile....need a larger sample size on Trevor to be honest, don't know how much he will improve (or regress) in the next year or 2....

George was one of the most overrated QB prospects of all time...he had prototypical size, a great arm and was pretty accurate but he had mediocre at best field vision and had zero leadership qualities....Trevor is miles better right now than George ever was IMO....

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
I see what you did there.
Barking up the wrong tree as far as the Brees spin.

Lawrence has to play well first for him to earn that though. Maybe he has and I just caught two of the worst games of his career (which happen to be the rare good competition he faces).
Lawrence threw for 347 yards, 3 TDs, and no INTs against Alabama in the last championship game. A game they were expected to get throttled in.

What are you even talking about?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom