Joe Horn and Katrina - Bleacher Report Article (1 Viewer)

Love Hollywood...I had a jersey of his in my closet that my parents bought for me the Christmas before he was released...I finally took the tags off it last season and wore it to a game, it was the white front with gold back, it had been sitting in my closet for years and had never been worn....for whatever reason I decided to break it out and wear the "ol school" jersey for a game last season....low and behold coming down the ramps after that game I see a familiar face standing outside a suite smiling as big as I was because of the win...joe horn...we had a few moments of celebration, we shook hands and I told him he was one of the all time greats to put on the black n gold...and we departed as "fans" with a big Who Dat!

Joe Horn loves to talk about Joe Horn.

Vikings fans like to talk about "fixed" NFCCG, Farve, etc. but seem to forget the five turnovers (should have been more) and the great Saints drive in OT to win the game.

Can't believe how much whining there is in those comments on a story that's about Horn and Katrina and Joe wasn't even with the Saints in 2009-10!

Yeah, I remember how he was talking up how nice it was to play in San Antonio and siding with the Benson-stay in San Antonio element.

Yeah, I remember how he was talking up how nice it was to play in San Antonio and siding with the Benson-stay in San Antonio element.

Horn was always about Horn. I do remember his comments regarding San Antonio and from that point on I couldn't wait to move on from him. Regarding his Katrina work...it seemed to me that he was willing to show up as long as a camera was on...

Vikings fans like to talk about "fixed" NFCCG, Farve, etc. but seem to forget the five turnovers (should have been more) and the great Saints drive in OT to win the game.

Can't believe how much whining there is in those comments on a story that's about Horn and Katrina and Joe wasn't even with the Saints in 2009-10!

Let's not for get the 12 men in the huddle...which pushed the Vikings out of FG range...which forced them to try to get closer...which in turned caused the Favre INT that essentially ended their hopes. That 12 men was HUGE....and that was ALL on Brad Childress.

FYI this article is from August 2015. I remember a thread here about it. Still a good read though.

Here's what I posted in that 2015 thread:

Joe Horn was hero in what he did in Houston, esp in the Astrodome.

He spent quite a bit of time and effort and money to help those folks out!

I can't recall the details, but he and a few other Saints players got involved in getting stuff from local stores to be brought to the Astrodome as well as spent time with those in need - both young and old.

I have a Joe Horn jersey up on the wall just for that alone!

Geaux Joe Horn!!!

EDIT: I found this: http://www.nola.com/katrina/pages/090405/a18.pdf

http://saintsreport.com/forums/6109498-post7.html

Here's what I posted in that 2015 thread:

Joe Horn was hero in what he did in Houston, esp in the Astrodome.

He spent quite a bit of time and effort and money to help those folks out!

I can't recall the details, but he and a few other Saints players got involved in getting stuff from local stores to be brought to the Astrodome as well as spent time with those in need - both young and old.

I have a Joe Horn jersey up on the wall just for that alone!

Geaux Joe Horn!!!

EDIT: I found this: http://www.nola.com/katrina/pages/090405/a18.pdf

http://saintsreport.com/forums/6109498-post7.html

"He is the only one, others sent money and stuff, but he is the only one to come and see us, visit us".

Powerful. I'm glad Joe did this BR, and reminded us about that time. He is still the guy that will probably go in, and help, if something was to happen again in NO. Hollywood has always had a touch of meism, but you always knew he had a big heart...he showed it during one of our worst times and people remember.

Gone Joe, I can see you duck-walking right now and flipping the football to one of those fans in the Astrodome! :hihi:

Really?

I have always liked Joe, BUT something is very wrong here...he makes it seem that Katrina was a major traumatic/heroic experience in his life. The thing is his timeline is wrong. You know how they say how everyone who was living at the time remembers where they were when JFK was shot, or for younger people, when the towers fell. Katrina WAS the dividing moment in my life. The SAINTS played the Ravens on Friday August 26th. It was my last time inside the Superdome. It was the last time I slept in a bed that I OWNED in NOLA. I left for Dallas Saturday the 27th. I've lived in Houston and now San Antonio since then. The outer bands of Katrina hit Sunday night, and that Monday, August 29th, my life changed forever. I bleed black and gold, Joe Gemelli is my hero, Rex's motto "Pro Bono Publico" was my 11th commandment, and Vic Schiro's "If it's good for New Orleans, I'm for it!" a guiding principle.

I've been to road games since then, but I can't bring myself to go to a game in the Superdome. It was only on a 2015 Thanksgiving trip home (see photo) that I finally worked up the courage to go see Champions Square, walk around the Superdome's exterior; I even went to see my old parking space. If it wasn't for my wife, I don't think I could have done even that...she found me such a "broken toy" and helped me recreate myself as a person who could, at least, survive outside of New Orleans.

I have always defended Joe when people said, "Joe is ONLY about Joe," but I can't after this! He WAS a Facebook friend, not any longer. Not when so many members of the Who Dat! Nation went through what I did and WORSE. Joe didn't remember and we'll NEVER FORGET!

Attachments

• IMG_3744.JPG
    IMG_3744.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3748.JPG
    IMG_3748.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 2
I have always liked Joe, BUT something is very wrong here...he makes it seem that Katrina was a major traumatic/heroic experience in his life. The thing is his timeline is wrong. You know how they say how everyone who was living at the time remembers where they were when JFK was shot, or for younger people, when the towers fell. Katrina WAS the dividing moment in my life. The SAINTS played the Ravens on Friday August 26th. It was my last time inside the Superdome. It was the last time I slept in a bed that I OWNED in NOLA. I left for Dallas Saturday the 27th. I've lived in Houston and now San Antonio since then. The outer bands of Katrina hit Sunday night, and that Monday, August 29th, my life changed forever. I bleed black and gold, Joe Gemelli is my hero, Rex's motto "Pro Bono Publico" was my 11th commandment, and Vic Schiro's "If it's good for New Orleans, I'm for it!" a guiding principle.

I've been to road games since then, but I can't bring myself to go to a game in the Superdome. It was only on a 2015 Thanksgiving trip home (see photo) that I finally worked up the courage to go see Champions Square, walk around the Superdome's exterior; I even went to see my old parking space. If it wasn't for my wife, I don't think I could have done even that...she found me such a "broken toy" and helped me recreate myself as a person who could, at least, survive outside of New Orleans.

I have always defended Joe when people said, "Joe is ONLY about Joe," but I can't after this! He WAS a Facebook friend, not any longer. Not when so many members of the Who Dat! Nation went through what I did and WORSE. Joe didn't remember and we'll NEVER FORGET!

Hold on, confused, did Joe not find you in the Astrodome?

Were you with the people that had nothing, nowhere to go, and nothing to start over with?

Where did you go, other than the Astrodome? Did you have money to fund your travel to Dallas and Houston and wherever you are now? If so, you are nowhere near the suffering these folks went through that he visited in the Astrodome. They had nothing, nowhere to go, and only what people brought them...and Joe came to visit them. What slight are you remembering?

Here, you are lamenting a parking spot...damn that's some selfish ish right there.

Hold on, confused, did Joe not find you in the Astrodome?

Were you with the people that had nothing, nowhere to go, and nothing to start over with?

Where did you go, other than the Astrodome? Did you have money to fund your travel to Dallas and Houston and wherever you are now? If so, you are nowhere near the suffering these folks went through that he visited in the Astrodome. They had nothing, nowhere to go, and only what people brought them...and Joe came to visit them. What slight are you remembering?

Here, you are lamenting a parking spot...damn that's some selfish ish right there.

A parking spot? No, an entire life...18 inches of water on my SECOND floor! "Sorry," that I had insurance that covered my MATERIAL losses...that is NOT what this is about! I had nothing....let's not get into that kind of argument. Food stamps, Salvation Army, local churches feeding us, the whole nine yards. My family was split up. I ended up with about 7% of what I had before Katrina, and before Katrina I was a NOPS public school teacher with 8 days left before I was eligible to retire...yeah, real 1%er. I am sure that MOST of the people in the Astrodome lamented more the loss of family, friends, jobs, and the mementos of a life in New Orleans, childhood pictures, something from a deceased grandparent, yearbooks, diplomas...

I took what I had and tried to rebuild a life. I did not lose my past in Katrina. I lost my future.

Joe did a good thing by visiting the Astrodome, I NEVER said he didn't. Your reply is as bad as Tampa Bay's cheerleaders "Hit me like a hurricane" routine in 2005. We each went through our own little piece of hell with Katrina and everyone's hell was different. Did the Saints' player who lost an expensive home in Destrahan lose more than the poor person who loss a tiny home in the "lower nine" and everything they owned? Of course not! One did not lose more than another, each lost a home...not just a house...a HOME and everything that entails.

BTW...since I was an English teacher...the title of the article started with "Joe Horn Personally Remembers..." and he DIDN'T even remember that the Oakland game was the week AFTER Katrina. That is the slight I am upset about. Katrina changed my life forever.

Very kind people here in Texas helped me after Katrina...the vast majority of which I had never met before. The hardest part was when they would well meaningly tell me their stories of losing a home in a fire, or due to tough economic times. I had to swallow hard and listen, while the only thing that was going through my mind was did you still have friends nearby? a job? a doctor? a place to go for family holidays without driving twenty-four hours? I smiled and thanked them. Everyone had their own trials to go through. Don't judge. Do not begrudge those that have more than us their wealth and do not begrudge those that have less their dignity.

Saintshizzle, I looked at your profile to see if you still live in NOLA and you do not say. I respect your privacy; my wife is like that also. If you do live in NOLA and if now, after I have made myself over here in Texas i have more material things than you; you still have the one thing I wish for everyday. One day at a time...May God bless you!

A parking spot? No, an entire life...18 inches of water on my SECOND floor! "Sorry," that I had insurance that covered my MATERIAL losses...that is NOT what this is about! I had nothing....let's not get into that kind of argument. Food stamps, Salvation Army, local churches feeding us, the whole nine yards. My family was split up. I ended up with about 7% of what I had before Katrina, and before Katrina I was a NOPS public school teacher with 8 days left before I was eligible to retire...yeah, real 1%er. I am sure that MOST of the people in the Astrodome lamented more the loss of family, friends, jobs, and the mementos of a life in New Orleans, childhood pictures, something from a deceased grandparent, yearbooks, diplomas...

I took what I had and tried to rebuild a life. I did not lose my past in Katrina. I lost my future.

Joe did a good thing by visiting the Astrodome, I NEVER said he didn't. Your reply is as bad as Tampa Bay's cheerleaders "Hit me like a hurricane" routine in 2005. We each went through our own little piece of hell with Katrina and everyone's hell was different. Did the Saints' player who lost an expensive home in Destrahan lose more than the poor person who loss a tiny home in the "lower nine" and everything they owned? Of course not! One did not lose more than another, each lost a home...not just a house...a HOME and everything that entails.

BTW...since I was an English teacher...the title of the article started with "Joe Horn Personally Remembers..." and he DIDN'T even remember that the Oakland game was the week AFTER Katrina. That is the slight I am upset about. Katrina changed my life forever.

Very kind people here in Texas helped me after Katrina...the vast majority of which I had never met before. The hardest part was when they would well meaningly tell me their stories of losing a home in a fire, or due to tough economic times. I had to swallow hard and listen, while the only thing that was going through my mind was did you still have friends nearby? a job? a doctor? a place to go for family holidays without driving twenty-four hours? I smiled and thanked them. Everyone had their own trials to go through. Don't judge. Do not begrudge those that have more than us their wealth and do not begrudge those that have less their dignity.

Saintshizzle, I looked at your profile to see if you still live in NOLA and you do not say. I respect your privacy; my wife is like that also. If you do live in NOLA and if now, after I have made myself over here in Texas i have more material things than you; you still have the one thing I wish for everyday. One day at a time...May God bless you!

God Bless you back. I am in Texas now, and never lived in NO. I am from North Louisiana, but here, you still miss the point. Joe Horn remembers people that are not like you and me. He remembers people that only had the Saints. These people did not have a parking spot or owned homes like you and I did...they only had the Saints. That's it.

When the storm came and washed lives away, and the Saints were about to move, these people did not have rebuild money or money to live elsewhere as many folks had. They were without a some family members that died, homes, living in the Astrodome, hearing word that their team is moving to San Antonio...the only hope they had remaining.

So, when Joe Horn came, and gave them hope of still having something...it was remembered. By the media, many of those people and Joe Horn. I just think your post comes off as a bit selfish, comparing what you lost to that article. It's apples and oranges brother, and if you can't see that, then I feel for you. Many people can't ever see themselves like that, so a loss of material things is everything. These folks lost material, lives and families that lost lives...

Just not the thread to lament parking spaces and homes and such when the article is talking about much worse. Joe still brought them hope.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom