Joe Morgan and Greg Romeus (giving us more options) (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
I liked what I saw from Morgan, but I just hope he doesn't "Rod Harper" us... show flashes in preseason and never show up again.

I think we got something in Romeus... but he hasn't played a down of NFL football, and I'm just not ready to corwn him as our savior at DE. Would love to see it though.

I'm more looking forward to seeing what guys like Mitch "Mama's Boy" King can give us inside with his motor... he looked great in the preseason, but that was against the backups.

I like Martez Wilson on one side of our LB corps, but you're right... we need an impact LB to put on the other side. I don't think we'll make a "splash" in free agency because of the other MANY obligations we have trying to keep our own guys on the roster, so my guess is that we'll be looking in the draft for our future WILL LB. He COULD already be on the roster...

Casillas needs to stay healthy
Humber was intriguing for a minute...
Nate Bussey was a special teams guy that MIGHT have a future at OLB, but I personally doubt it...
Will Herring.. uh never mind...

We'll need to draft one.

I see two guys who have tons of upside but have proven NOTHING...and therefore cannot be relied upon. The past few years the Saints came into the season relying on Castillas...and now we are the worst LB corp in the NFL.

No we don't, we need an impact pass rusher in our front 4
You and ndcc are both right. In order to make this defense what we want it to be, we need an impact weakside linebacker(draft) and at least one defensive end that can really get after the passer. Hopefully an improved Cam Jordan and a healthy Greg Romeus can make a difference, along with a solid defensive end draft pick or free agency pick up.

Here is my top 5 for our 2nd round pick:

1. Mike Martin DT Michigan
2. Brandon Thompson DT Clemson
3. Sean Spence OLB Miami
4. Travis Lewis OLB Oklahoma
5. Reuben Randle WR LSU

You and ndcc are both right. In order to make this defense what we want it to be, we need an impact weakside linebacker(draft) and at least one defensive end that can really get after the passer. Hopefully an improved Cam Jordan and a healthy Greg Romeus can make a difference, along with a solid defensive end draft pick or free agency pick up.

The problem is we just don't have enough resources to address all our needs. We are down a 1st round draft pick and most of our cap space going to Brees and Nicks or Colston, with maybe several million left over. Unless we free up some cap room we'll only be able to get one maybe two positions filled on our defense that can contribute to the defense next year, our 2nd round draft pick and a low tier FA. It took all season before our 3rd round picks could contribute. Maybe a less complicated scheme could help some get ready sooner.

I think the defense will look different just from the change in scheme. GW had the DEs playing the run first which resulted in fewer sacks. Spags will teach the LBs how to fill-in the run gaps which will allow the DEs to rush the passer more often. This will result in more presser and more sacks.

Here is my top 5 for our 2nd round pick:

1. Mike Martin DT Michigan
2. Brandon Thompson DT Clemson
3. Sean Spence OLB Miami
4. Travis Lewis OLB Oklahoma
5. Reuben Randle WR LSU

....and the LSU bias rears its ugly head :angryrazz: :no: <<<<<< #sarcasm

we'd be foolish to consider a WR with our first pick. other than that i like your list. this draft doesnt have any real stand out pass rushers, but it is full of good mid round LB's.

I think the defense will look different just from the change in scheme. GW had the DEs playing the run first which resulted in fewer sacks. Spags will teach the LBs how to fill-in the run gaps which will allow the DEs to rush the passer more often. This will result in more presser and more sacks.

Best thread of the week. The posts about "get rid of Will Smith" are not based on sound football management. Smith averages nearly 8 sacks per year until GWs 2nd year. The Saints got better against the run by doing exactly what you say above BLACKSOJA - at the expense of pressure by the DEs who were playing run protections

Smith and Cam will prove to be adequate pass rushers when they are allowed to get after the QB and have traditional back coverage by the LBs.

thing about Rod Harper is he showed flashes in preseason and was injured before ever hitting the field in a regular season game.

I think I have saw a little more out of Joe Morgan than I have Rod Harper though.
If Morgan stays off IR, he could replace Colston or Moore or find his way into the starting lineup.

we have some young talent on our team, except at DT, need a DE like Mario in FA and maybe a lb like hawthorne, then draft a young DT and BPA

Honestly, I think we are set on the edge. It's the inside where we need to start pushing the pocket and opening up holes for our linebackers. Now, don't get me wrong, I still want our draft to be defense heavy, mainly one or two outside linebackers. But, Junior Gallette and Greg Romeus have potential and best of all, they're cheap.

I think Martez Wilson can be the answer for us at SLB and while Vilma underperformed last season, he has the leadership and smarts to make plays. I would love to see us land a guy like Alabama DT Josh Chapman or USC DT DaJohn Harris in the mid rounds to perhaps open the holes or us.

Also, a guy to keep your eye on is Terrell Manning, OLB from North Carolina State. I think he could be a gem in perhaps the 3rd round.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom