Joe Paterno to be honored this Saturday... really? (1 Viewer)

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how Paterno is made more responsible than the actual pedophile and the police and district attorney of Centre County who were aware of the accusations and failed to prosecute.

No one is saying Paterno is more responsible than anyone. But Paterno knew, and had the power to do something, either by going to the police, or at the very least banning Sardusky from anything Penn St. And yes, he had that kind of pull at Penn St.

But he decided to "keep it in the family" and turn a blind eye to what he knew was happening.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how Paterno is made more responsible than the actual pedophile and the police and district attorney of Centre County who were aware of the accusations and failed to prosecute. Or, for that matter, anyone associated with his Second Mile foundation or any other location or organization that facilitated Sandusky's pedophilic activities that had ZERO to do with either Paterno or Penn State.

I'm sorry but I'm much more upset by those who are charged to uphold the laws and in a position to actually stop those crimes from happening in MULTIPLE venues declining to prosecute and keep those young boys safe.

Didn't it come out recently that Paterno was made aware of Sandusky's activities in the 70s?
Paterno knew and did nothing except state "‘I don’t want to hear about any of that kind of stuff, I have a football season to worry about?"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...52f5a6-4853-11e6-90a8-fb84201e0645_story.html

Paterno was so thoroughly institutionalized by the college life that the "Authority" to which he supposedly reported these crimes was the Penn State campus police. :jpshakehead:

Paterno was just as big a dirtbag as any other coach when it came to recruiting, so I never understood his statement about retirement in which he said "I just can't leave college football to the Pat Dyes and Barry Switzers of the world. At least Switzer and Dye didn't cover up for child molesters.

If Penn State has any shred of decency (which I doubt), the university will remove any and all trace of Paterno's "legacy" from its campus.

In my best Ocho Cinco... child, please.

The last person you can accuse of going with the sensational media is me.

Paterno had more pull than anyone in that university, town, even than any governor of Pennsylvania. He knew what was happening in his installation, he knew who was doing it, and he not only turned a blind eye to it, he covered up.

I'm not comprehending how reporting what someone else saw (no evidence, he said/she said) to his superiors, in accordance with University policy constitutes turning a blind eye or covering up. In retrospect, this is the action that damned PSU for sanctions. Yeah, they knew. But Paterno covered up? "child please"

If you want to state he could have done more, Paterno himself agreed before he died. He did all he could LEGALLY without opening himself to a lawsuit for libel/slander; but he couldn't done more, he could've rattled cages longer and louder. If you want to question the wisdom of "honoring" Paterno, I'll join you. If you want to see the remaining cast of characters stand trial for these egregious crimes, I'll lead the charge with you. But to say he turned a blind eye and covered up just isn't so.

You're entitled to your perspective, but I feel compelled to speak up; just like I feel compelled to say something when I hear that the Saints have sucked because Goodell found out they were cheating and put a stop to it. Most folks on Saints report know that narrative was concocted by Goodell and the media and distilled for the lowest common denominator of the masses. And so it is with PSU and Paterno. Guilty of something, but not what the media has suggested...

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how Paterno is made more responsible than the actual pedophile and the police and district attorney of Centre County who were aware of the accusations and failed to prosecute. Or, for that matter, anyone associated with his Second Mile foundation or any other location or organization that facilitated Sandusky's pedophilic activities that had ZERO to do with either Paterno or Penn State.

I'm sorry but I'm much more upset by those who are charged to uphold the laws and in a position to actually stop those crimes from happening in MULTIPLE venues declining to prosecute and keep those young boys safe.

I don't think you understand. We are equally disgusted and appalled and angered by all the people involved. The only difference is that Paterno is being honored. We're not any less upset with the other people involved in this cover up. Only one of them is being singled out to be honored.

No, Paterno is being painted just as evil as the perpetrator. There were a LOT of people who SHOULD, in hindsight, have done a LOT more, including him. However, they also knew that the authorities had knowledge and declined to prosecute. And, again, how would Joe having barred him from the premises of the Penn State locker room, which he admittedly had the power to do though that's where his power ended, have stopped Sandusky from molesting children OFF Penn State premises. Paterno had no authority to stop him anywhere else. THIS is what angers me. The molestation would have continued regardless because Penn State is not the District Attorney of Centre County. The law enforcement community is the only way to have stopped further molestation. Barring that, the only thing that would have changed is the venue.

By the way, I know no one's opinions are getting changed here. I'd just like everyone to remember that the people who had the responsibility and opportunity to stop the abuse that was happening on a much wider scale than a college campus failed those boys, their families, the county, the state. There were a LOT of people in the position of doing something, Joe Paterno was just the most famous one.

I'm not comprehending how reporting what someone else saw (no evidence, he said/she said) to his superiors, in accordance with University policy constitutes turning a blind eye or covering up. In retrospect, this is the action that damned PSU for sanctions. Yeah, they knew. But Paterno covered up? "child please"

If you want to state he could have done more, Paterno himself agreed before he died. He did all he could LEGALLY without opening himself to a lawsuit for libel/slander; but he couldn't done more, he could've rattled cages longer and louder. If you want to question the wisdom of "honoring" Paterno, I'll join you. If you want to see the remaining cast of characters stand trial for these egregious crimes, I'll lead the charge with you. But to say he turned a blind eye and covered up just isn't so.

You're entitled to your perspective, but I feel compelled to speak up; just like I feel compelled to say something when I hear that the Saints have sucked because Goodell found out they were cheating and put a stop to it. Most folks on Saints report know that narrative was concocted by Goodell and the media and distilled for the lowest common denominator of the masses. And so it is with PSU and Paterno. Guilty of something, but not what the media has suggested...

Hold on a sec... are your responses biased by bountygate, the result of the corporate environment of an entertainment corporation?

Again, child, please.

Are you familiar with that entire case, or just the sensational media snippets that made for excellent TV reporting?

To be clear, what happened at PSU was horrible. And there's no sugar-coating it. People screwed up...PSU screwed up. But not everyone. Mike McQueary saw something and reported it to Paterno. Sandusky did not work for Paterno, nor PSU, and had "emeritus" status with PSU. Paterno had no power over him. It has been proven that Paterno reported what McQueary witnessed to the Athletic Director Curly.

From that point, it is unclear what happened. Athletic Director Curly, PSU President Graham Spanier, and a third party (campus police/security...can't remember the name) are all pointing their fingers at each other saying they believed someone else "handled" the situation. All 3 have been indicted/charged and are to stand trial, although none have seen the inside of a courtroom yet. (side note: really? Sandusky was tried. How long does it take?!) And all 3 are quite content to allow the dead man to take the blame, even though it has been PROVEN that he properly addressed the issue with his superiors. So it isn't clear (yet?!) who is responsible for the cover up, but it wasn't McQueary and it wasn't Paterno.

Could Paterno have done more? Maybe. He's on record as stating he wished he had done more. While he did all he could LEGALLY do, perhaps he could have pushed his superiors harder. But make no mistake, Paterno covered up nothing. The cover-up is with those 3 jokers who have yet to stand trial. To blame Paterno for the Sandusky situation is akin to blaming Benghazi on the soldiers who died there....you know, for not doing more.

If you want to be angry with PSU for covering up, you have a valid point. But to recite the Paterno-blaming suggests to me you're not familiar with the entire case.

SMH............... so if your child had been raped by Sandusky.........you'd feel that Joe not telling you or the COPS was ok?

No, Paterno is being painted just as evil as the perpetrator.

He's being portrayed as what he was: a man who cared more about his fame, and winning football games than anything else. A man who turned a blind eye to child molestation when he indeed had the power to do something about it.

And again, as for Paterno's power within Penn St., he had more pull than the Dean. And yes, he could have banned Sandusky from Penn St. He just had to go to the Dean and say "get this guy out of here".

And maybe, just maybe, the molestation would've ended on and/or off campus if anyone involved, including the person with the most pull in the freaking State of Pennsylvania, would've gone to the authorities and reported it.

Last edited:
SMH............... so if your child had been raped by Sandusky.........you'd feel that Joe not telling you or the COPS was ok?

The cops and the DA already knew. And the DA who declined to press charges has been missing since 2005.

I feel horrible for the victims of the cover-up.

They deserve better but when you consider the recent news stories about Rapist being given 30days in jail or no time at all by Judges, we shouldn't be surprised.

The cops and the DA already knew. And the DA who declined to press charges has been missing since 2005.

I remember learning about the Foul Play surrounding his disappearance.

I also remember reading that Joe Pa never called the COPS the very moment he was told about the rape in the Shower on campus.

Paterno turned a blind eye to child rape to protect Penn State football and his own legacy. Honoring him in any fashion is a slap in the face to all of Sandusky's victims.

Almost on cue...this showed up in my media feed today. Enjoy it, be enlightened, or debunk it.

Here

I'm not here to argue the merits of the case. That's already occurred in Bellefonte, PA, just 10 minutes north of PSU.

But don't take my word for it, check out the transcripts. It's public record. Until then, FWIW, I personally question whether PSU is doing the right thing NOW. Just not for the reason everyone here is citing.

This "honor" is simply to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Paterno's first game coached at PSU. But hey, why bother to check it out when the splashy headline has already condensed everything you need to know? While everyone here is angry about that, I'm still torqued there are 3 administrators who have yet to stand trial, despite their charges. It's been FIVE YEARS! This feels like a rush by PSU to move on and I'm afraid the other 3 jokers will somehow slip away, unscathed.

Paterno may have been the figurehead at Penn State, but he didn't have "the power" you cite, and hadn't had it for at least 5 years before this happened. Paterno's job was annually rumored to be in jeopardy, as many associated with the program believed the game had passed him by and that his age was hurting PSU in recruiting. Before the Sandusky scandal, Paterno was annually lobbying to keep his job (with support from many, despite the calls from many to replace him). Yes, there was a time when he was the most powerful man at PSU. But if you believe that was the case in 2011(?), your information is at least 5-10 years dated.

And yes, my responses are biased by Bountygate. You may frame it as "the result of the corporate environment of an entertainment corporation?", but that would be your characterization. I would frame it as the Saints organization and players being unfairly persecuted in the media, with little or no evidence to back it up, simply because Goodell made factually incorrect statements and seized control of the news cycle and dictated the narrative. By the time that Jonathan Vilma, et. al. could react with truthful information, the narrative had already been dictated and public opinion had been informed. Guilty until proven innocent. It was wrong for the Saints, and it's wrong for Paterno. Certainly, we've learned a little something about drinking the media-spiked kool-aid?

Almost on cue...this showed up in my media feed today. Enjoy it, be enlightened, or debunk it.

Here

Really? Lots of "I believe", hearsay, "he was too senile to remember", and "someone injected the word "sexual" in his mind"?

And seriously, stop bringing up bountygate. It is not a good look for you, to put it mildly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom