Joe Paterno to be honored this Saturday... really? (1 Viewer)

Does it really surprise you? Michael Jackson is celebrated Daily it seems... Neverland Ranch = Sandusky's Second Mile... SMH

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Its truly embarrassing.... Penn state should have completely changed their image after the scandal by changing their uniforms..... But nooooo lets stay with the joe pa themed plain whites to commemorate the child rapes.

Penn State Nittany Lions unveil plans for Joe Paterno commemoration

Yay! Let's commemorate the man who covered up and harbored child molesting, because football.

Are you familiar with that entire case, or just the sensational media snippets that made for excellent TV reporting?

To be clear, what happened at PSU was horrible. And there's no sugar-coating it. People screwed up...PSU screwed up. But not everyone. Mike McQueary saw something and reported it to Paterno. Sandusky did not work for Paterno, nor PSU, and had "emeritus" status with PSU. Paterno had no power over him. It has been proven that Paterno reported what McQueary witnessed to the Athletic Director Curly.

From that point, it is unclear what happened. Athletic Director Curly, PSU President Graham Spanier, and a third party (campus police/security...can't remember the name) are all pointing their fingers at each other saying they believed someone else "handled" the situation. All 3 have been indicted/charged and are to stand trial, although none have seen the inside of a courtroom yet. (side note: really? Sandusky was tried. How long does it take?!) And all 3 are quite content to allow the dead man to take the blame, even though it has been PROVEN that he properly addressed the issue with his superiors. So it isn't clear (yet?!) who is responsible for the cover up, but it wasn't McQueary and it wasn't Paterno.

Could Paterno have done more? Maybe. He's on record as stating he wished he had done more. While he did all he could LEGALLY do, perhaps he could have pushed his superiors harder. But make no mistake, Paterno covered up nothing. The cover-up is with those 3 jokers who have yet to stand trial. To blame Paterno for the Sandusky situation is akin to blaming Benghazi on the soldiers who died there....you know, for not doing more.

If you want to be angry with PSU for covering up, you have a valid point. But to recite the Paterno-blaming suggests to me you're not familiar with the entire case.

Are you familiar with that entire case, or just the sensational media snippets that made for excellent TV reporting?

To be clear, what happened at PSU was horrible. And there's no sugar-coating it. People screwed up...PSU screwed up. But not everyone. Mike McQueary saw something and reported it to Paterno. Sandusky did not work for Paterno, nor PSU, and had "emeritus" status with PSU. Paterno had no power over him. It has been proven that Paterno reported what McQueary witnessed to the Athletic Director Curly.

From that point, it is unclear what happened. Athletic Director Curly, PSU President Graham Spanier, and a third party (campus police/security...can't remember the name) are all pointing their fingers at each other saying they believed someone else "handled" the situation. All 3 have been indicted/charged and are to stand trial, although none have seen the inside of a courtroom yet. (side note: really? Sandusky was tried. How long does it take?!) And all 3 are quite content to allow the dead man to take the blame, even though it has been PROVEN that he properly addressed the issue with his superiors. So it isn't clear (yet?!) who is responsible for the cover up, but it wasn't McQueary and it wasn't Paterno.

Could Paterno have done more? Maybe. He's on record as stating he wished he had done more. While he did all he could LEGALLY do, perhaps he could have pushed his superiors harder. But make no mistake, Paterno covered up nothing. The cover-up is with those 3 jokers who have yet to stand trial. To blame Paterno for the Sandusky situation is akin to blaming Benghazi on the soldiers who died there....you know, for not doing more.

If you want to be angry with PSU for covering up, you have a valid point. But to recite the Paterno-blaming suggests to me you're not familiar with the entire case.

Make no mistake---Paterno could have and SHOULD have done much, much more

In my best Ocho Cinco... child, please.

The last person you can accuse of going with the sensational media is me.

Paterno had more pull than anyone in that university, town, even than any governor of Pennsylvania. He knew what was happening in his installation, he knew who was doing it, and he not only turned a blind eye to it, he covered up.

You gotta be kidding me.... Could he have done more you ask?? Yes!!!

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how Paterno is made more responsible than the actual pedophile and the police and district attorney of Centre County who were aware of the accusations and failed to prosecute. Or, for that matter, anyone associated with his Second Mile foundation or any other location or organization that facilitated Sandusky's pedophilic activities that had ZERO to do with either Paterno or Penn State.

I'm sorry but I'm much more upset by those who are charged to uphold the laws and in a position to actually stop those crimes from happening in MULTIPLE venues declining to prosecute and keep those young boys safe.

Penn State football is gross. Its horrible to to associate an entire program with what Sandusky did, but given what Paterno did (or didn;t do) and what numerous others did - it taints the program. And this just reinforces that view.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom