John Abraham could be visiting the Saints (1 Viewer)

He and Demarcus Ware are about the same size.

I tend to think a rusher of his skill level could make it work.

Please no. I know it's just a uniform. But I just can't welcome a former Falcons players. Why I wasn't a fan of signing Lofton.
See, with Lofton. Playing for the Falcons and then coming to the Saints was like a man being trapped in a woman's body. Now that he's a Saint, he's free to be a man. :hihi: Something like that.

I've mostly hated him for the uniform. I can't think of anything personal about him I don't like ... which can't be said for Roddy White. He's old but regardless of who we sign, we've got a narrow window with Brees anyway, so it's got to be more about "what can you do for us today?" and not as much "what can you do for us 2 seasons from now?"

Sure, the ideal is to get both -- the immediate impact player with longevity -- but that's an extremely elusive combo.

Of course, the worst thing is to get a veteran who you don't even get 1 or 2 good seasons out of. But if he can still play and contribute AND be an upgrade, why not?

I've mostly hated him for the uniform. I can't think of anything personal about him I don't like ... which can't be said for Roddy White. He's old but regardless of who we sign, we've got a narrow window with Brees anyway, so it's got to be more about "what can you do for us today?" and not as much "what can you do for us 2 seasons from now?"

Sure, the ideal is to get both -- the immediate impact player with longevity -- but that's an extremely elusive combo.

Of course, the worst thing is to get a veteran who you don't even get 1 or 2 good seasons out of. But if he can still play and contribute AND be an upgrade, why not?
I was about to find the words but you did it for me. Thanks :plus-un2:

I picture him more as a true 4-3 DE. Not unlike Will Smith. What did they run when he played with Jets years ago?

He was a 3-4 OLB on the Jets. He's a pure pass rusher, so I think he'd be fine if we signed him. I think it would be a good move for us.

I'm just not that excited about these old vets , I want younger guys that we can build around not a one or two year rental .

I'll take a mix of both. Patriots seem to be able to make it work. We just have to know when to cut people loose.

If the Saints signed Abraham, I would be happy with the signing. Abraham, even playing part-time, will make more plays than Will Smith, Cam Jordan, Tez Wilson, and or Junior Galette. The guy has been an elite pass rusher for a long time and I believe he can be a very good player for the Saints. I guess all that matters is how the guy plays - not his age. Tony Gonzales has been up in age and all he does is continue to be a beast on the field. Looking at last years stats, Abraham > Smith, Jordan, or Galette.

The 49ers gave him a look as well. They run a 34 defense. I'm sure they know what there doing on the defensive side of the ball. What I find interesting is that they have two outside linebackers who can rush the passer very well. Makes me wonder if they see him as a lineman on passing downs on opposite side of Justin Smith.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom