John Clayton has the Saints #3 winners on day 1 (1 Viewer)

scott88

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
3. The New Orleans Saints and Pittsburgh Steelers: Both 3-4 defenses caught a break. The Saints could have used a pass-rushing linebacker for their new 3-4 defense, but they also needed a safety who can make plays. Kenny Vaccaro of Texas is a perfect player for their defense. He's versatile enough to cover slot receivers, talented enough to match up against tight ends and tall receivers and smart enough to sit back at free safety and intercept passes. The Saints also had the option of drafting linebacker Jarvis Jones from Georgia, but they let him fall to the Steelers at No. 17. With James Harrison now in Cincinnati, Pittsburgh needed a pass-rushing linebacker. As the round was going, the Steelers worried that neither Vaccaro nor Jones would fall to them. The Rams gave them a break by trading up for Austin. The Steelers thought the Rams could have taken Vaccaro at No. 16, leading to the Saints to taking Jones. Jones has the ability to be an impact rookie for the Steelers, something they desperately need.

2013 NFL draft -- First-round winners, losers - ESPN

3. The New Orleans Saints and Pittsburgh Steelers: Both 3-4 defenses caught a break. The Saints could have used a pass-rushing linebacker for their new 3-4 defense, but they also needed a safety who can make plays. Kenny Vaccaro of Texas is a perfect player for their defense. He's versatile enough to cover slot receivers, talented enough to match up against tight ends and tall receivers and smart enough to sit back at free safety and intercept passes. The Saints also had the option of drafting linebacker Jarvis Jones from Georgia, but they let him fall to the Steelers at No. 17. With James Harrison now in Cincinnati, Pittsburgh needed a pass-rushing linebacker. As the round was going, the Steelers worried that neither Vaccaro nor Jones would fall to them. The Rams gave them a break by trading up for Austin. The Steelers thought the Rams could have taken Vaccaro at No. 16, leading to the Saints to taking Jones. Jones has the ability to be an impact rookie for the Steelers, something they desperately need.

2013 NFL draft -- First-round winners, losers - ESPN

So the Steelers wanted either Vaccaro or Jarvis Jones at #17. I find it comforting to know the Saints picked a guy the Steelers were eyeing two spots later for their vaunted defense.

The Steelers thought the Rams could have taken Vaccaro at No. 16, leading to the Saints to taking Jones.

This is why Clayton gives me a headache when he speaks. Is he saying that if the Rams had stayed put and taken Vaccaro at 16 it would have made us take Jones at 15?

I'm not saying Vacarro isn't a good player, but The guys in the secondary can only cover for so long. We needed edge speed. A good pass rush makes a good secondary. Roman Harper has no trade value and at this point I'd imagine cutting him is our only way out.

This is why Clayton gives me a headache when he speaks. Is he saying that if the Rams had stayed put and taken Vaccaro at 16 it would have made us take Jones at 15?
Yeh I read that with the confused face

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom