John Clayton on Shockey (1 Viewer)

Since there have been many different reports on exactly what Vilma cost us, I am not sure we have a 4th (or maybe a 3rd depending on his play

We gave them a 4th this year and depending on his play or if we resign him he can cost us a 2nd or 3rd next year. If that happens Jets give us their 4th next year.

The thing you guys are missing is that we've already ?REPORTEDLY? offered a 2nd. I don't think we go higher (unless we can throw in EJ or Miller) but if we get the guy it won't be for less.

And I thought it was last reported that we still HAVE our 4th this year. We need to get the exact trade for Vilma and make it a sticky. :hihi:

No way should we give up a 1st round pick for Shockey. We still have too many needs greater than the TE position. Even giving up a 2nd is a lot given the market for veteran trades these days. After all, NE got Moss for a 4th. Loomis needs to hold firm with the Giants if they want to trade Shockey.

Swap #10 to #19 with philly Get Lito Sheppard
Swap #19 to #31 with Giants Get Shockey
Pick with the #31 to Get Dan Conner/Jarod mayo/ etc.

We get three players from the #1 pick

Then you can put in "Alltimegreats" in on the codes screen to UNLOCK the All-Madden All-Time Team...

Then, at the start screen, hit A,B,AA,C,A,B,A,A,A,B,A, SELECT, START... and you'll get 100 extra lives on Contra :9:

The thing you guys are missing is that we've already ?REPORTEDLY? offered a 2nd. I don't think we go higher (unless we can throw in EJ or Miller) but if we get the guy it won't be for less.

And I thought it was last reported that we still HAVE our 4th this year. We need to get the exact trade for Vilma and make it a sticky. :hihi:

Sure you could get him for less on draft day, depending on how badly the Giants fall in love with a player they want or fill a need that makes Shockey expendable. Also, as you mentioned, it was only "reported" that we offered a 2nd. The last report I saw on the Vilma trade was our 4th this year and a conditional pick next year.

I say next year's 4th and no more..people undervalue draft picks, which are vitally important to infuse new talent and to keep the salary cap structure in order...The Rickey williams trade essentially destroyed the team. and additionally, we'd have to re-sign shockey which will cost a bundle (what does he have left on his contract? one year? I would not waste a 2d on such a risk)...finally, the giants want to get rid of him. that's always a flag about a player....no, we are already missing a 4th this year...

as someone said earlier, im fairly sure we gave up a 4th this year, and conditional 4th next year depending on Vilma's play.

Someone said on here that Times Picayune had an article Sunday explaining. It said we didnt have a 4th this year.

Here's the math as I see it -

Billy Miller + Eric Johnson + huge needs elsewhere = No Shockey (unless he's ridiculously cheap, like a 5th rounder). The Giants will be calling the Saint sometime around April 24, 25, or early the 26th. The Saints are already down a fourth and have big needs (DT,CB, OG) that giving up a picks for a TE isn't going to fill. Pass......

How many big contracts can we afford? Really...

We already in a tough position with the imminent re-negotiation of the contracts of Smith, Evans and Colston. Jonathan Vilma is also a free agent next season. We have to re-do his contract and if he performs as expected, I can see at least a Lance Briggs contract, going possible to an Urlacher one.

Besides we have Brees, Deuce, Reggie, Grant, all getting good coin the next two years.

I am not against bringing another high profile player, but I certainly wonder if we can afford him. To me, tight end is not a priority position to spend big money over. With the spread offense we have, no tight end will get pro-bowl numbers.

Another factor to consider besides what we may pay for trading for a player like Shockey (and Sheppard, for that matter).

Here's the math as I see it -

Billy Miller + Eric Johnson + huge needs elsewhere = No Shockey (unless he's ridiculously cheap, like a 5th rounder). The Giants will be calling the Saint sometime around April 24, 25, or early the 26th. The Saints are already down a fourth and have big needs (DT,CB, OG) that giving up a picks for a TE isn't going to fill. Pass......

Take out CB and TE is right up there with the other two, IMO. Our DTs aren't great, but they are decent. We could use an upgrade there and we could add depth to both lines. Our TEs aren't great but they are decent. We could use and upgrade there.....

Miller + EJ = Young + Lake

PLUS, Shockey would really help out our WR corp that has a guy that was never allowed on the field last year as the #2. JS in the passing game would eleviate any pressure on our WRs.

Swap #10 to #19 with philly Get Lito Sheppard
Swap #19 to #31 with Giants Get Shockey
Pick with the #31 to Get Dan Conner/Jarod mayo/ etc.

We get three players from the #1 pick

If this happened, (Lito + Shockey + Conner=10th pick of the draft), then give Mickey Loomis the GM of the year trophy before the second round of the draft even begins.

Take out CB and TE is right up there with the other two, IMO. Our DTs aren't great, but they are decent. We could use an upgrade there and we could add depth to both lines. Our TEs aren't great but they are decent. We could use and upgrade there.....

Miller + EJ = Young + Lake

PLUS, Shockey would really help out our WR corp that has a guy that was never allowed on the field last year as the #2. JS in the passing game would eleviate any pressure on our WRs.

Miller + EJ = Young + Lake + 1st day rookie DT + 1 st day rookie CB + rookie OG + 3 rookies for depth

Shockey = Young + Lake + one 1 st round rookie + two late round rookies - picks next year

Miller + EJ = Young + Lake + rookie DT + rookie CB + rookie OG

Shockey = Young + Lake + one rookie - picks next year

No. No it doesn't.

Miller is a backup, EJ is a situational TE. Lake is a backup, Young would be a great situational DT. In fact, EJ + Miller (<) Young + Lake but the fact that DT is more important makes it equal. But its not one or the other....so.....?

And I'm not sure where someone proposed giving up our first three picks for Shockey.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom