John Clayton - Saints Look Unstoppable! (2 Viewers)

mc4saints

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
From Espn.com - John Clayton:

1. Saints look unstoppable: The scary part about the Saints' 2-0 start is that they can actually play better. New Orleans, which blew out the Eagles 48-22 on Sunday, is the first team since the 2001 Colts to open with back-to-back 40-point games. Drew Brees has completed 75 percent of his passes with nine touchdowns and a 132.9 quarterback rating. The Saints' defense has recorded six interceptions, including three by 33-year-old safety Darren Sharper.

First, let's break down Brees. He admitted after Sunday's game that he has more trust in wide receiver Marques Colston than any of his other pass-catchers. Colston, who was targeted eight times by Brees on Sunday, caught eight passes for 98 yards, including two touchdowns. This is Colston's fourth year with Brees, and he no longer is slowed by the thumb and knee problems that forced him to play 2008 -- in his estimation -- at around 80 percent.

The combination of Colston and tight end Jeremy Shockey can be unstoppable. Brees has the confidence to throw high passes that only Colston can catch. He has 11 catches, including three touchdowns, in three games. Shockey is completely healed from his sports hernia surgery. Brees has gained the confidence in Shockey to throw him a precise pass even if he's covered.

On defense, the Saints are getting all the breaks. They've drawn two first-time starting quarterbacks -- Matthew Stafford and Kevin Kolb -- and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is allowing Sharper to be aggressive and read the quarterbacks. On Sunday, Sharper returned his fourth-quarter interception of Kolb 97 yards for a touchdown.

we need the defense to get better. they are playing good now but we need better when we start playing in the division. we need to win all six games.

As long as we can keep the running game going our offense will resemble the 2006 Saints, if we lose the rushing element we will resemble goodness but not greatness.

So now teams will try to take Colston away, and watch as Devery and Meachem will destroy the Bills. Their LBs can't cover, so Dave Thoma, J-Shock and Heath Evans should get some looks.

Reggie out of the backfield will also be a fun matchup for their LB corp.

Too scary...

As long as we can keep the running game going our offense will resemble the 2006 Saints, if we lose the rushing element we will resemble goodness but not greatness.

thats why we need mike bell ..

I dont trust bush ... and I dont trust thomas ... REALLY!!

I will never trust bush to run a 3 down and short .. really ... he has good % but he just doesnt have the power and the vision ... mike has all of this and he have a lot of quickness to make fast cuts

We're not going to blow out everyone. At some point, this offense will struggle. Some DC will figure out a way to attack them and force them into mistakes. The key will be how they respond to that adversity and how the defense helps keep the team in the game. In the NFL nobody stays dominant for very long. And, to be honest, the Saints are going to need some good tough games to get prepared for the stepped up competition and intensity of the playoffs. I do think our offense will continue to thrive, but sooner or later we're all going to have to come back down to earth.

Wasn't Lance Moore his most trusted receiver? Now it's Colston. Brees is a two timer, or a bandwagon jumper. Fact is he trusts all his receivers and why shouldn't he. All, including Henderson of late (surprise) have been pretty sure handed. The scouting department scored big time with the trade for the TE from NE.

thats why we need mike bell ..

I dont trust bush ... and I dont trust thomas ... REALLY!!

I will never trust bush to run a 3 down and short .. really ... he has good % but he just doesnt have the power and the vision ... mike has all of this and he have a lot of quickness to make fast cuts

Wow, in two games you have more trust in Bell than Thomas?

We need to keep blowing people out to make sure the refs don't take any games away from us...
That's for sure.

I dunno, I know at some point the "sticky" will wear off (Bush never had it) but unless it happens to all receivers at the same time, I don't even worry about the dropsies like I used to. They're not dropping much but even if they do, I know they'll catch the next one. I mean, that's an odd feeling to have.

Wow, in two games you have more trust in Bell than Thomas?

I almost hate to say it, but I do too. Bell has done things in these first two games that I've never seen from PT. Now I'm not saying PT is no good, but Bell runs runs with more quickness, power, and vision than any RB we've had since a young Deuce.

I want all 3 RBs to be there for us... but IMHO, Mike Bell is more important right now than PT.

I almost hate to say it, but I do too. Bell has done things in these first two games that I've never seen from PT. Now I'm not saying PT is no good, but Bell runs runs with more quickness, power, and vision than any RB we've had since a young Deuce.

I want all 3 RBs to be there for us... but IMHO, Mike Bell is more important right now than PT.

Bell looks exactly like a young Deuce, but with better vision.

I wouldn't say Bell > PT yet, but I do think Bell > Bush.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom