John Daly: The Human Trainwreck (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080312/ap_on_sp_go_ne/glf_bay_hill_daly

"You don't know me....like I know me....."

Using Jon Gruden as a caddy?
Signing butts?
Getting dropped by his coach?
Drinking constantly?
Gambling constantly?
Missing tee times and taking alternates down with him?
No longer a full-PGA member?
(These are just from the story.)

Social anxiety complex aside, this guy is the Ricky Williams of the PGA via so much talent wasted on his personal demons/bad decisions.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080312/ap_on_sp_go_ne/glf_bay_hill_daly

"You don't know me....like I know me....."

Using Jon Gruden as a caddy?
Signing butts?
Getting dropped by his coach?
Drinking constantly?
Gambling constantly?
Missing tee times and taking alternates down with him?
No longer a full-PGA member?
(These are just from the story.)

Social anxiety complex aside, this guy is the Ricky Williams of the PGA via so much talent wasted on his personal demons/bad decisions.

Well, there is a difference in Daly and Williams. Daly seems to be caught up in his own "demons" much more so than Ricky ever was. Ricky had no real demons, he just had no desire for the game at the professional level (i.e. commitment it takes).

Well, there is a difference in Daly and Williams. Daly seems to be caught up in his own "demons" much more so than Ricky ever was. Ricky had no real demons, he just had no desire for the game at the professional level (i.e. commitment it takes).

I think they are alike in more ways than they are different. They both have squandered enormous talent. While I know this is an oversimplification, to a certain extent Williams chose weed over football while Daly chose alcohol over golf.

Many others with similar addictions have managed to hold on to their careers. I guess they have not been in the news as much as Daly and Williams because Daly and Williams had special talents and charisma which attracted people to them.

Its a shame. I am not judging either one, just observing how tragic it is to see such talent wasted.

I think they are alike in more ways than they are different. They both have squandered enormous talent. While I know this is an oversimplification, to a certain extent Williams chose weed over football while Daly chose alcohol over golf.

Many others with similar addictions have managed to hold on to their careers. I guess they have not been in the news as much as Daly and Williams because Daly and Williams had special talents and charisma which attracted people to them.

Its a shame. I am not judging either one, just observing how tragic it is to see such talent wasted.

Well, I agree that they haven't both left talent out there for the taking, but whether they squandered it is just a matter of perception I suppose. I don't think it is considered squandering if the player does not actually want to be in the game and goes to do something else (i.e. Jim Brown left for the big screen). Williams did not desire to be in the game anymore at that level, but Daly always has had that desire. If Williams did not have to repay his signing bonus then it's likely we never would have heard from him and he would be content practicing holistic medicine or living in India and wouldn't "need" football. On the other hand Daly seems to "need" golf.

Just a matter of opinion of course, but I think Williams' problems pale to Daly's. But I certainly see your point dude.

He fights a constant battle. He's a great guy and he's a bad guy. His goodness comes out in his giving to others, which he does alot. His bad side hurts himself which unfortunately, he does ofton as well.

I actually got to meet him a few years back when he was in town for the PGA tourney. Really, really nice guy. I hope he gets his life together.

Hey sounds like an honest mistake this time to me, someone told him the wrong time. The alternets could have been there as well, if there is a shot to play. be there, don't complain, when opportunity knocked, and you weren't home, and hey, what about teh good news... some other Alternate that went there finally got his shot, won't read that tho.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom