John DeShazier: Quick takes on Coach Sean Payton's Monday press conference (1 Viewer)

mvtrucking

Administrator
Administrator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
snews.gif

Full Story – NewOrleansSaints.Com

Quick takes from New Orleans Saints Coach Sean Payton’s teleconference Monday:

1. News surrounding cornerback P.J. Williams, who left Sunday’s game with a concussion in the first quarter, is good. “He’ll be coming back (to New Orleans) this afternoon and all the news is positive, which is real encouraging,” Payton said. “It was the significance of the hit. I watched it in slow motion a couple of times, and it’s really the right knee of the tight end – as he’s running and as P.J. is beginning to tackle, hits the side of his helmet and causes the concussion.”

2. Though rookie kicker Wil Lutz blamed himself for Sunday’s blocked kick (low trajectory), Payton said it was more of a pressure issue. “It’s B-gap pressure and we’re not good (on that kick) at right guard, we’re not good at right tackle, too much penetration on that play and (Giants tackle Johnathan Hankins) ends up leveraging the B-gap and an outside hand knocking the ball down,” Payton said. “We’ve got to be better in our protection. (Lutz) is doing well. I think this: I think the protection needs to be better, and it’s that simple. There’s penetration and one of the D tackles is able to hit the B-gap, our right guard and right tackle aren’t able to stop the penetration, and that’s as simple as it gets.”

By John DeShazier / New Orleans Saints.Com

Full Story – NewOrleansSaints.Com

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom