John Edwards can't wait for his PS3 (1 Viewer)

KingOfBattle

Semper Fi
Reaction score
Wal-Mart claims the former Senator didn't want to wait for the release of the new gaming system.
Link

Raleigh, NC -- Wal-Mart claims former North Carolina Senator John Edwards asked his local Wal-Mart store for help in getting a hot new Sony PlayStation 3.

The potential 2008 presidential candidate says a volunteer made the call by mistake, and feels terrible about it.

Edwards, a prominent critic of Wal-Mart, had taken part in a conference call Thursday with union-led activists who are trying to pressure the company for better labor standards.

Wal-Mart says the same day, an Edwards staff member asked a Raleigh electronics department manager to obtain a PS3 for the ex-senator's family.

A company statement accuses Edwards of not wanting to wait his turn.

Edwards says it was a volunteer who made the call after hearing the Edwards family wanted a PS3.

Edwards also says the volunteer now realizes he shouldn't have used the former senator's name.

I don't see the big deal here. He didn't offer to do anything for them in return. We all take advantage of things where we can. Through my company I can go to nearly any sporting event for free and I certainly enjoy that. If I knew someone at Walmart I would have tried to get two or three to sell. :D

Wow, they can make a news story out of anything...what would have been funny was seeing John Edwards in line for 36hrs.

I don't see the big deal here. He didn't offer to do anything for them in return. We all take advantage of things where we can. Through my company I can go to nearly any sporting event for free and I certainly enjoy that. If I knew someone at Walmart I would have tried to get two or three to sell. :D

He's a public figure. The idea that he believes he deserves special treatment doesn't say much for his character.

Power attracts the worng personality types...

A better way to spin it would have been to blame the volunteer for using Edwards' name to try and get one for themselves...make the volunteer look like a scoundrel. That's how Washington works.

I don't see what the big deal is. It seems reasonable to assume that Edwards did casually mention to a staffer that he wanted a PS3 and the staffer then acted on his/her own in calling Wal-Mart (as opposed to Best Buy or whatever) and then dropped Edwards name to get it.

I mean *shrugs* does anyone really think he specifically instructed the staffer to make sure and get a PS3 a few days early from wal-mart specifically? Do you think Edwards is that much of a gaming junkie? Doesn't it seem more likely he casually mentioned to a staffer to go get him one, in the same way he may mention "go pick up my dry cleaning" and gave no specific instructions?

It just doesn't seem to me a PS3 would be so vitally important that Edwards would give step-by-step instructions on how to get him one.

Wal-Mart is the one on the offensive it would seem.

Edwards also says the volunteer now realizes he shouldn't have used the former senator's name.

Even though I'm in the "it's no big deal" camp, you've got to admit the implications of this quote are pretty funny.

"Just get me the PS3, kid...but make sure none of this gets traced back to me!"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom