John Gilliam's K.O.return (1 Viewer)

Just curious, how many people here were there when Gilliam scored on the first play in Saints history.
I was there and until Porter's pick six it was the most exciting thing I ever saw.
I wasn't there, I was only 4 when it happened. But, family members who instilled my love for the Saints, were there. Even though I was only 4, I know the play well. I've watched it countless times. The Saints are my first and only real true sports love. Their history, whether I'm old enough to remember or not, is important for me to know and respect. My first memories are from Archie's rookie season (4 years later). I've seen it all first hand since then.

Just curious, how many people here were there when Gilliam scored on the first play in Saints history.
I was there and until Porter's pick six it was the most exciting thing I ever saw.
12 years old at the time.....lots of bad football after that but as my name suggests I NEVER GAVE UP and have been rewarded like you have...

I remember when Jim Taylor was introduced you could hear the ovation from miles away.

70000 seat stadium, 1.5 million people claim they were there

You are waaaaaay under estimating that figure.

Basically every Louisiana citizen born before 1967 claims to have been there -- not only that, they all claim to have been sitting in the end zone that Gilliam ran towards.

There's a similar attendance legend with the LSU Billy Cannon Halloween Punt Return. If you were born before the 1950s in Louisiana, you were in Tiger Stadium that night. If you were a boy between the age of 7-14 in 1959, you were a Cub Scout/Boy Scout working as an usher at that game and/or working at a concession stand.

Last edited:
Not I -- my dad started with season tickets in 1968, hence my screen name. I was there for The Mighty Kick of Dempsey though! I actually have the 45 record of that song.

I saw it on TV as a 6 yr. old. I remember jumping up and running around the room all excited. Thought we were going to be great. Then the next 20 seasons happened. :unsure: :D Loved them anyway.

You are waaaaaay under estimating that figure.

Basically every Louisiana citizen born before 1967 claims to have been there -- not only that, they all claim to have been sitting in the end zone that Gilliam ran towards.

There's a similar attendance legend with the LSU Billy Cannon Halloween Punt Return. If you were born before the 1950s in Louisiana, you were in Tiger Stadium that night. If you were a boy between the age of 7-14 in 1959, you were a Cub Scout/Boy Scout working as an usher at that game and/or working at a concession stand.
I was in the other endzone and sat down because I thought he had been tackled. didn't even realize at first why people were going so crazy. I thought he was tackled around the 50.

I wasn't even thought of.

I wasn’t there but my dad was. He was given tickets through some kind of promotion there were doing at Stennis space center. He got two tickets and 2 doubloons that had the Saints schedule on them. I have those doubloons. I’ll dig them up and post a picture on here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom