John Jenkins underrated pass rush ability (1 Viewer)

I think for a NT it was great tape. Of course your entitled to disagree and I respect that but I'd like to hear a little bit more about it. I thought he lived in the backfield in that game, against the run and the pass. He was virtually unblockable and all of his abilities seemed to be on displayed.

If he is anything close to what he showed in that video, then we are absolutely stealing for getting him in the 3rd.

Yes he was in the backfield often, but was being blocked away from the flow of the play and allowed to get past the offensive lineman at that point, since he doesn't have closing speed to tackle from behind. So that was by design a lot more often than someone "dominating" his blocker. There were not a lot of impact plays in that film.

I do like what I see, overall. I think we have a shot at having our starting NT for the next several years.

Corre t

Pass rush in his case doesn't mean getting to the QB, it means pushing the pocket so the QB can't step up to avoid the guys rushing from the outside. Jenkins is more than capable of doing this.

Sometimes getting a pass rush means that the person in the middle was doing their job. You need someone who can push the pocket and prevent the quarterback from stepping up inside the pocket. I think Jenkins excels at this. He will make a huge difference in the Saints pass rush even though he may not record a single sack.

Pass rush in his case doesn't mean getting to the QB, it means pushing the pocket so the QB can't step up to avoid the guys rushing from the outside. Jenkins is more than capable of doing this.

I actually think he did that better than stuffing the run in the youtube cutups I saw, he got a handful of hurries in the clips I saw, even going up against bama.

First of all, IMO, Jenkins was a helluva pick! We're going to the 3-4, and he was rated by many as the 2nd best NT in the entire draft, at least a 2nd rd pick, and we got him in the 3rd! :9:

The dude is a heck of an athlete. For a NT, he has size, 346 lbs. But for a NT, he's very tall, 6'4". And he's long, with 34 inch arms. IMO, that makes his 30 reps on the bench even more impressive. But most impressive is his quick feet for such a large man. Put it all together, and he has all the goods to play at the next level!

IMO, a problem for Jenkins has been his weight. While he weighed in at 346 at the Combine, some suggested that his playing weight at UGA last year was outta control at times, 365 and even more. Sooner or later, that added weight has got to affect stamina, which will in turn affect play. That might explain why he looks nearly dominant at times, and only average to good at others, in his vids.

I could be wrong, but against Bama, early on, I recall him beatin up on both Barrett Jones and Warmack. But I dont recall him doin as much as the game went on. Perhaps Bama made adjustments, but maybe JJ got a lil tired too, as Bama ran at and over the UGA D.

Still, Johnathan Jenkins finished the 2012 season with 50 tackles (thats alot for ANY 3-4 lineman, y'all) , and 1 sack. He was also moved around along the Georgia D line, proving he has the versatility to play at DE as well as NT in the 3-4.

As a big bodied NT, its a given that Jenkins will be able to come in and contribute immediately as a solid backup/rotational player for Bunkley in run packages. That gives us depth there, and allows Hicks to stay/play at DE.

But IF he can maintain a good weight, he could see more playing time with/behind Hicks at DE as well. And with his height and size, he could see even more time as that disruptive, pocket collapsing NT up the middle in passing situations!

Damn! So excited, I knocked over my drink!!!:smilielol:

I still don't think he will provide much in the way of a pass rush and will be off the field on obvious passing downs. Probably see Hicks at the nose on passing downs.

I am excited, however, by his propensity to stuff the middle of the field on running plays. That is what we need to get out of this pick. If that happens, excellent steal in the 3rd round.

I am excited about him also. But Loomis better put a serious weight clause in his contract. He's a mountain. Can you imagine him with unlimited NO cuisine to chomp down all the time. We are talking 450 lbs in a year.

I am excited about him also. But Loomis better put a serious weight clause in his contract. He's a mountain. Can you imagine him with unlimited NO cuisine to chomp down all the time. We are talking 450 lbs in a year.

This is the exact reason I assumed we wouldn't draft him. But evidently he has good drive so that's a plus

I am real excited about Jenkins, with good coaching we can fix all the little problems and keep his weight down. We may very well have our first All-Pro DT in a long time. I watched one of the Saints old games when they originally ran the 3-4 and I just hope our defense could play like that again.

Yep defense is really shaping up pretty nicely. I'm just curious to see what will happen with the CB spot opposite Lewis

Seriously think about this, Jenkins in the middle, Hicks and Jordan at DE, Tez and Butler on the edge with press man coverage, not to mention the play making ability of KV at safety.
Sounds like an immediate improvement to me!!!!

I just hope the defense can pick up Robs defensive scheme quickly and become a cohiesive unit before the season starts. I know they picked up on GW's system pretty quick, I hope it works out the same with Ryan's.

He had 4 sacks in 27 games in college. He may be able to collapse the pocket some and occasionally get to the QB but he'll never be a dominant inside pass rusher but that isn't why he was drafted either.

J. Jenkins is likely to produce sacks, TFLs, and tackles for other players , that does not show up on the 'personal' stat sheet but still creating an impact, collectively as a unit. More so, than just personal sacks or tackle numbers, alone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom