John Jenkins underrated pass rush ability (1 Viewer)

bornnraisedwhodat

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Went back and watches some Georgia cutups with John Jenkins, and one thing that stood out to me is he has some pass rush ability. It doesnt show up in the stat sheet but he is pretty effective and getting penetration and effecting the back field. You would think he is just a big plugger, but Georgia would sometimes bring Geathers as the NT and put Jenkins at the 3 and he was active in the back field. Quick feet and active hands. Much better motor than I expected.

I like this pick.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/john-jenkins

Sent from phone via Tapatalk

I still don't think he will provide much in the way of a pass rush and will be off the field on obvious passing downs. Probably see Hicks at the nose on passing downs.

I am excited, however, by his propensity to stuff the middle of the field on running plays. That is what we need to get out of this pick. If that happens, excellent steal in the 3rd round.

Yep I think the early career Shaun Rogers comparisons are legit. I think he has a good chance to become the best contributor from this draft class

His primary responsibility will be to insure that the middle is completely plugged, which he absolutely has the tools and abilities to do so. The value Jenkins brings in the 3rd round is tremendous! I can't wait to see teams attempt to run on a d-line consisting of Cam Jordan, John Jenkins and Akiem Hicks! Stephen Jackson who?

Payton had to have been B.S.ing when he said we were going to run a 1-gap, 3-4. Our d-line personnel screams 2-gap!

His primary responsibility will be to insure that the middle is completely plugged, which he absolutely has the tools and abilities to do so. The value Jenkins brings in the 3rd round is tremendous! I can't wait to see teams attempt to run on a d-line consisting of Cam Jordan, John Jenkins and Akiem Hicks! Stephen Jackson who?

Payton had to have been B.S.ing when he said we were going to run a 1-gap, 3-4. Our d-line personnel screams 2-gap!

I think Jenkins gives us the flexibility to do both

Jenkins will positively affect the play of Curtis Lofton and Jonathan Vilma. That extra OLineman he will take up will effectively keep either Lofton or Vilma clean to attack the runner. I'm actually really excited about this pick.

Pass rush in his case doesn't mean getting to the QB, it means pushing the pocket so the QB can't step up to avoid the guys rushing from the outside. Jenkins is more than capable of doing this.

We will probably run both a 1 & 2 gap. And if he can push the pocket on 3rd down that's an extra. He may not get the sack but if he can collapse the pocket and keep the QB from stepping up our DE's or OLB's will take care of the rest.

Went back and watches some Georgia cutups with John Jenkins, and one thing that stood out to me is he has some pass rush ability. It doesnt show up in the stat sheet but he is pretty effective and getting penetration and effecting the back field. You would think he is just a big plugger, but Georgia would sometimes bring Geathers as the NT and put Jenkins at the 3 and he was active in the back field. Quick feet and active hands. Much better motor than I expected.

I like this pick.

one of the knocks was the he lets smaller guards/center get underneath into his pads
he said that he typically just tried to out muscles everyone (and could) and he would stand up and look into the backfield to suss it out to make a play
not sure if he was BSing
also not sure how quickly he'll adjust when our guards and DLP pop him in the chin strap - but this will certainly be one of the things to look for in camp

one of the knocks was the he lets smaller guards/center get underneath into his pads
he said that he typically just tried to out muscles everyone (and could) and he would stand up and look into the backfield to suss it out to make a play
not sure if he was BSing
also not sure how quickly he'll adjust when our guards and DLP pop him in the chin strap - but this will certainly be one of the things to look for in camp

I noticed that, but that tends to be a problem with most young DL's. Learning and mastering leverage use. He'll get better in that area.

He should just focus on being a beast on downs 1 and 2.

I looked at the cutups of the Alabama, Georgia Tech, and SC games, and from what I could see Jenkins has a good bull rush. I thought he was epsecially disruptive on passing downs in the Alabama game. He wasn't as impressive against the run in those games as I expected him to be. He needs to stay lower. When offensive linemen get their pads under him he can be rooted out a bit too easily. What I liked best about what I saw is his high energy. He doesn't give up on plays or take plays off. This kind of high motor can't be coached; it has to be innate. I think with better technique Jenkins can become a good interior player on our D line.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom