John Jenkins underrated pass rush ability (1 Viewer)

Didn't Hicks have a major problem with losing leverage, playing high, and opposing lineman getting their hands inside on him as well.

one of the knocks was the he lets smaller guards/center get underneath into his pads
he said that he typically just tried to out muscles everyone (and could) and he would stand up and look into the backfield to suss it out to make a play
not sure if he was BSing
also not sure how quickly he'll adjust when our guards and DLP pop him in the chin strap - but this will certainly be one of the things to look for in camp

Akiem Hicks had the same exact problem since he is a taller guy as well, but Bill Johnson did wonders for his technique last year. Jenkins issues can all be ironed out with some good coaching.

Robs dline scheme focuses on run defense and QB containment.

We won't be seeing our dline in the backfield much, as they read and react first and foremost while the OLBs and blitzers gun for the QB.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Just saw where ESPN's Todd McShay called <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Saints">#Saints</a> DT John Jenkins the best pick in the third round of the <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23NFLdraft">#NFLdraft</a>. High praise.</p>&mdash; Mike Triplett (@MikeTriplett) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeTriplett/status/328584213970427904">April 28, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jenkins is a pretty easy evaluation. He just need to refine his technique. There are times when he stands straight up and he'll get run off the line by double teams, and I mean a couple of yards. I've even seen him on his back a couple of times - this is all due to poor pad level. It doesn't matter how strong you are, if an offensive lineman (and in his case two offensive linemen) gets under your pads, the play is over. You'll see this when he played against Alabama; Auburn was another game where he displayed improper pad level at times. He also needs to learn to keep people away from his legs, there were a few times I saw him on his back and that's the last place you want your defensive lineman, especially your nose (though he plays more end than people would assume).

With that said, when his pad level is proper, he's flat out dominant and there is nothing anyone on the field can do. Against Alabama, he flat out ate Chance Warmack's lunch a couple of times, and it wasn't even close. This was really an up and down game for him.

If you want to see his ceiling, put on the Mizzou tape, that's the player I hope we drafted. His pad level is really good all game and he dominates from snap to snap. I could watch this game over and over because it's a thing of beauty to see him run through and around people.

As the OP stated, he's a better pass rusher than you would thing. He's your classic pocket pusher but he does display good hand usage to get around blockers at times. If he has a one-on-one match, the pocket will shrink, again, if he displays proper pad level. He has pretty good quickness off the snap also. This is a huge asset to him because once he gets moving, it's pretty much impossible to stop him. He definitely won't be a sack guy (which is pretty obvious), but he can walk a lineman into the face of the QB, reducing the pocket side and allow our edge guys to clean things up. One thing of note, and this is all in hindsight so it's possible that I'm off basis a bit, but Georgia didn't sub him out in nickel situations. He was a 3-down player for them, which says a lot about him.

I can definitely see why the Saints had such a high grade on him. He can fill that classic shaded tackle spot perfectly - though there are times he struggles with disengaging blocks. He isn't some fat guy who is just going to stand up blocks at the LOS all day (though he can be), he's mover who also can offer you some snaps at DE and will win one-on-one battles.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5Q1_UbTq4EQ" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Watching the video, wasn't overly incredible tape, but it did show what you commented on. And that is he will require double teaming (which is what you want out of your NT), and that teams will be in trouble if they try to block him one on one. So that's what you require from your NT at a minimum. If he brings anything more, it's a bonus.

He's more athletic than what you normally would see out of a NT as well. And he doesn't bite and get out of place very often. Seems to be a smart and instinctual player.

Please dear God be the NT we have been waiting on for the last 7 years.

He may not offer much in a pass rush as far as himself getting to the QB, but if himself and Jordan get double teamed, it will free up our LB's to come in untouched. Jordan was commanding a lot of double teams last year, he's either going to have a monster season, or our LBs and Harper/Vaccaro are going to be running wild in the backfield, if Jenkins requires two O-line men to contain him from collapsing the pocket.

He isn't some fat guy who is just going to stand up blocks at the LOS all day (though he can be), he's mover who also can offer you some snaps at DE and will win one-on-one battles.

Just watched the cut ups from the SEC CG against Alabama and I didn't see him play on the nose for a single play. He played left DE in all the plays that video shows across from DJ Fluker.

Jenkins out-quicked him several times to make a play, but if Fluker got his hands on Jenkins he mostly handled him because of what other people have said: Jenkins gets too high and let's the OL under his pads. He'll have to use good technique to be effective.

When I say pass rush, i dont mean 10 sacks, i mean pressure up the middle.

Sent from phone via Tapatalk

Watching the video, wasn't overly incredible tape, but it did show what you commented on. And that is he will require double teaming (which is what you want out of your NT), and that teams will be in trouble if they try to block him one on one. So that's what you require from your NT at a minimum. If he brings anything more, it's a bonus.

He's more athletic than what you normally would see out of a NT as well. And he doesn't bite and get out of place very often. Seems to be a smart and instinctual player.

Please dear God be the NT we have been waiting on for the last 7 years.
I think for a NT it was great tape. Of course your entitled to disagree and I respect that but I'd like to hear a little bit more about it. I thought he lived in the backfield in that game, against the run and the pass. He was virtually unblockable and all of his abilities seemed to be on displayed.

If he is anything close to what he showed in that video, then we are absolutely stealing for getting him in the 3rd.

He may not offer much in a pass rush as far as himself getting to the QB, but if himself and Jordan get double teamed, it will free up our LB's to come in untouched. Jordan was commanding a lot of double teams last year, he's either going to have a monster season, or our LBs and Harper/Vaccaro are going to be running wild in the backfield, if Jenkins requires two O-line men to contain him from collapsing the pocket.

Hicks too

Just watched the cut ups from the SEC CG against Alabama and I didn't see him play on the nose for a single play. He played left DE in all the plays that video shows across from DJ Fluker.

Jenkins out-quicked him several times to make a play, but if Fluker got his hands on Jenkins he mostly handled him because of what other people have said: Jenkins gets too high and let's the OL under his pads. He'll have to use good technique to be effective.
You make good points. In that quote, I wasn't talking about only the Alabama tape though, I've watched multiple games of him.

I did say a couple of times in that post that he plays DE and NT. As I said before, I was most impressed by how he played when facing Warmack. He seemed to take that match-up as a challenge.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom