John Ross (1 Viewer)

I just saw that the bungles are not picking up his option and I wondered what it would cost to maybe trade for him. He would be a great fit I think and last year was having a pretty good year until injured. But I guess that’s the knock at the same time. What do u guys think of him and him fitting in our offense this year and beyond brees

Oh look!......…...….........another "lets bring in another underachieving WR' thread!!:rolleyes:

I just saw that the bungles are not picking up his option and I wondered what it would cost to maybe trade for him. He would be a great fit I think and last year was having a pretty good year until injured. But I guess that’s the knock at the same time. What do u guys think of him and him fitting in our offense this year and beyond brees

He is not great at catching and Brees is not great at throwing deep. Absolutely horrible fit in my opinion.

Who do we release to make space for his contract?

Maybe the guy we drafted for Ruiz to replace? There can't be 6 starting O-line-men, after all (I mean, technically, yeah you can, but c'mon).

Along with releasing a 4th CB in P-Robinson + rotational player in Edwards Jr. to create 6-8 extra million in cap space (...not to mention the extra cap space from not signing Sanders had we traded for Nuke), which could bump that up to 11-13M along with the 2-3 extra million the Saints already have, which totals 12-14M. If removing Warford from the situation (see above reasoning for signing Ruiz), then that creates a total of 20-22M from the extra 7-8M saved in the Warford situation.

While this example above could affect re-signing either Latt/Ram the following year is another story. However, your question asked specifically who "do we release?" So, I answered.

But, regardless, I am happy with Emmanuel Sanders.

Last edited:
If TQS can just give us a full season, I think we will all be very happy with what he can do. When he's on the field he's made some plays. I'll pass on Ross, outside of the straight line speed when he's not hurt, really don't think there is much there.

Maybe the guy we drafted for Ruiz to replace? There can't be 6 starting O-line-men, after all (I mean, technically, yeah you can, but c'mon).

Along with releasing a 4th CB in P-Robinson + rotational player in Edwards Jr. to create 6-8 extra million in cap space (...not to mention the extra cap space from not signing Sanders had we traded for Nuke), which could bump that up to 11-13M along with the 2-3 extra million the Saints already have, which totals 12-14M. If removing Warford from the situation (see above reasoning for signing Ruiz), then that creates a total of 20-22M from the extra 7-8M saved in the Warford situation.

While this example above could affect re-signing either Latt/Ram the following year is another story. However, your question asked specifically who "do we release?" So, I answered.

I appreciate the way you thought this post out lmao.

#TroutMan

Awesome, I was really expecting a snide answer of "Loomis will figure it out". I still do not agree with you, but at least it's a workable scenario. The reason Ivehemently disagree with what you have suggested is that our offense is going to be efficient anyway (it always is). While Nuk is an amazing player in his own right, he is not going to make a massive overall difference in the offensive efficiency of this team.

Releasing Warford creates depth issues on the O-line and leaves us in a horrible position when Terron Armstead gets hurt in week 6. Also, releasing edwards doesn't clear upas much space as your calcs show which still leaves us with a few mil short, which means we need to further strip our team of depth for a marginal increase in offensive performance.

Honestly still dumbfounded how we didn't think of trading a 2nd (2021) for Nuke
Because they also wanted an elite, but recently injured RB who might well bounce back. Our version of that would have been a 2020 second and Kamara.

Also, we didn't have a 2nd in 2020. Our 2021 2nd is only worth a 3rd in draft trade accounting terms. It would take a 2021 1st.

So would you still want to trade AK and a 2021 1st, for the honour of having to pay 2x #1 WR at nearly $20m per season each?

Let me help you here, the answer is NO.

He is not great at catching and Brees is not great at throwing deep. Absolutely horrible fit in my opinion.
Drew is only playing 1 more year. We need a new Ginn at some point. I just think we can get him cheap and see. Bengals are a bad franchise maybe he could flourish here

I think the Saints feel like Deonte Harris will be the answer (similar to Tyreek Hill), they need. AND I AM NOT COMPARING HARRIS TO HILL, IN ABILITY! Just from a role standpoint. No need for a John Ross.

I’m more inclined to stick with TQS. He’s got 2 years under his belt working with Drew, he’s made a couple of splash plays and we don’t have to spend anything to get him.
Other than Ross having a little more top end speed, they’re pretty similar.

This. Our coaches havent given up on him yet and who knows.. they may actually really really like him. Remember a a little over a month ago when pretty much wrote Peat off the roster? We think we know, but we dont know.

Is he lights out blocking downfield? Does he read defenses correctly and run the right route the right way? Is he doing what is asked of him? Maybe what's being asked of him is the reason for the low production numbers? Who knows? I dont..

I am 100% behind this and have thought the same myself. All of the 'poor receiver', 'hell no' answers have had little substantiation. In this instance I think John Ross suffers from his 40 time, especially as we have just been through draft season. Conventional wisdom is burners get overdrafted which is true. There is no way Ross should have been drafted 9th overall, ahead of Marshon Lattomore and 40 times are way overvalued, especially for potential #1 WRs

However, that does not mean he cannot be a valuable weapon and it is perfect to buy low. The Bengals just drafted Tee Higgins 33rd and have AJ Green and Tyler Boyd on the roster. They declined Ross's 5th year option and would be better off dealing him now as he will not command big $ in free agency being 4th at best on the Cincinnati depth chart

In New Orleans he would be the 5th receiving option behind Thomas, Sanders, Cook and Kamara (possibly even Taysom Hill) so no pressure and never ever being double teamed. You cannot teach speed and Ross can take hitches and screens as well as pose a legit deep threat to truly open up the offense (it's why so many people loved Henry Ruggs, albeit a much more polished route runner)

Further Ross has had semi-decent production in the NFL. He has played 2 seasons after being on IR his rookie year and scored 10 TDs. He flashed against the Seahawks with 158 yards and 2 TDs last season. For comparison Ted Ginn Jr, another overdrafted WR due to his 40 time/speed, had 6 receiving TDs in his first 6 years in the league (2 more rushing)

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom