Johnathan Sullivan pick cost us a SB (maybe) (1 Viewer)

someone

Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I know hindsight is 20/20 but I just can't help it. We had a legit shot at winning the SB in 2006. Maybe just a few pieces away. As you all know, in the 2003 NFL Draft we traded the number 17 and 18 overall picks to trade up to 6. Now let's look at the Pro-Bowlers we could've had with that 6th overall pick:
Kevin Williams, DT
Terrell Suggs, LB
Marcus Trufant, CB
Troy Polamalu, S

Now here are guys taken after 16 that could've been valuable (and remember we could've had two of them!!):
Willis McGahee, RB
Dallas Clark, TE
Larry Johnson, RB
Nnamdi Asomugha, CB
Rashean Mathis, CB
Ken Hamlin, S (had a chance in free agency last year as well)
Anquan Boldin, WR
Usi Umenyiora, DE
Lance Briggs, LB
Jason Witten, TE
Terrence McGee, CB
Asante Samuel, CB
Cato June, LB

Oh yeah and some of the undrafted players:
Antonio Gates, TE
Tony Romo, QB

There were a lot of good players in that draft and a lot of teams passed on them, including us. But we really missed that year (Stinchcomb is the only guy still on our roster or possibly on a roster at all). A lot of the players I listed are positions that we desperately need this year (CB, DT, LB, TE). And a lot of them are guys we have specifically been after this offseason.

Oh yeah, and sorry for being Debby Downer...

I know hindsight is 20/20 but I just can't help it. We had a legit shot at winning the SB in 2006. Maybe just a few pieces away. As you all know, in the 2003 NFL Draft we traded the number 17 and 18 overall picks to trade up to 6. Now let's look at the Pro-Bowlers we could've had with that 6th overall pick:
Kevin Williams, DT
Terrell Suggs, LB
Marcus Trufant, CB
Troy Polamalu, S

Now here are guys taken after 16 that could've been valuable (and remember we could've had two of them!!):
Willis McGahee, RB
Dallas Clark, TE
Larry Johnson, RB
Nnamdi Asomugha, CB
Rashean Mathis, CB
Anquan Boldin, WR
Usi Umenyiora, DE
Lance Briggs, LB
Jason Witten, TE
Terrence McGee, CB
Asante Samuel, CB
Cato June, LB

Antonio Gates, TE
Tony Romo, QB

There were a lot of good players in that draft and a lot of teams passed on them, including us. But we really missed that year (Stinchcomb is the only guy still on our roster or possibly on a roster at all). A lot of the players I listed are positions that we desperately need this year (CB, DT, LB, TE). And a lot of them are guys we have specifically been after this offseason.

What about players from that draft that also flopped, we had just as good of a chance at landing a flop as we did one of those stars.

I do remember the Saints being interested in Troy Polamalu though, he would have been a difference maker but then maybe the team is better than they were and we don't get Payton, Brees, Bush, one thing could have changed many things about the team, we will make it when the time is right, like this year!

What about players from that draft that also flopped, we had just as good of a chance at landing a flop as we did one of those stars.

I do remember the Saints being interested in Troy Polamalu though, he would have been a difference maker but then maybe the team is better than they were and we don't get Payton, Brees, Bush, one thing could have changed many things about the team, we will make it when the time is right, like this year!

I think Haz wanted Witten too.

that draft I was more upset with us passing on Rashean Mathis for Jon Stinchcomb, than I was us drafting Sullivan. i liked the Sullivan pick (at the time)

Well at the time he could have easily turned out like Kevin Williams, if he just stayed away from the buffett line

Sullivan's pick probably didn't cost us anything, those players probably would've lead to at least one more win in 2003, 2004, & 2005 . That would've meant playoffs, Haslett probably would've kept his job after 2005. So that would have meant no Peyton, no Brees, no Bush, possibly no Colston. Jonathan Sullivan saved the franchise.

Kevin Williams, DT
Terrell Suggs, LB
Marcus Trufant, CB
Troy Polamalu, S

Willis McGahee, RB
Dallas Clark, TE
Larry Johnson, RB
Nnamdi Asomugha, CB
Rashean Mathis, CB
Anquan Boldin, WR
Usi Umenyiora, DE
Lance Briggs, LB
Jason Witten, TE
Terrence McGee, CB
Asante Samuel, CB
Cato June, LB

Antonio Gates, TE
Tony Romo, QB

Just when I was getting psyched over Cromartie (at #10) and possibly Samuel, you "spread some cheer" with this post.

Thanks a lot, dude! Now I just chucked breakfast! :smileypuker:

/sarcasm off

Seriously, you make good points. But I really see Loomis and Co. doing some special things in this draft (and FA acquisitions). And let's not forget key signings of our own FA's.

I hate quoting Jim Haslett, but in this offseason "...we'll be fine." :hihi:

:gosaints:

nfl_a_sullivan_600.jpg

It wasn't just trading the two picks that cost us.

Immediately, they gave away Norman Hand to Seattle for little of nothing. Then, a few weeks into the season, they cut Grady for "being a bad influence on Sullivan". Looks like they may have had that one backwards.

So, not only did we get a flop for a DT which cost us 2 #1's, but we also lost 2 starters from the year before. That's like drafting Ellis, and then cutting both Thomas and Young. This goes to show how sharp the front office and coaching staff were at the time.

can you imagine if we had gotten Asomugha and Samuels instead of Sullivan. We wouldn't get that empty feeling in our stomachs every time a ball went flying through the air.

Do we need anymore proof that reaching for a need is bad and we should take BPA?

At the time, Asomugha wasn't that highly rated. He went at the end of the 1st and was kind of a surprise when he did.

Imagine if we would have taken the same players Arizona took, Calvin Pace and Bryant Johnson...we would have been awesome

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom