Johnny Depp grants Hunter S. Thompson his final wish (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Johnny Depp spent $3 million blasting Hunter S. Thompson

What price for giving an absurd send-off to a writer who cherished the absurd? $3 million, if you’re Johnny Depp.

The funeral forms part of a list of ostentatious spending included in a lawsuit by his ex-managers, who claim it all led him to the brink of financial ruin.

“All I'm doing is trying to make sure his last wish comes true,” Depp said at the time (2005), “I just want to send my pal out the way he wants to go out.”

Thompson’s ashes were fired from a cannon that was placed atop a 153-foot (47 m) tower shaped like a double-thumbed fist clutching a peyote button. The funeral was attended by senator John Kerry, Jack Nicholson, John Cusack, Bill Murray, Benici del Toro, Sean Penn, Josh Hartnett, Ralph Steadman and more.

Now that's a good friend. I'm jealous of this wine budget tho.

Remember when he was considered a great actor? Then he sold out for the Pirates movies and made a **** ton of money.

Remember when he was considered a great actor? Then he sold out for the Pirates movies and made a **** ton of money.

giphy.gif

Those pirate movies are fantastic and fun, and the new one comes out in May. Woot.

Depp comes off as your typical eccentric Hollywood ****. 40 person staff? Geez....

John Kerry? Damn, now the 2004 election is even more depressing. We've needed a President who reads Thompson for decades.

Love the Pirates movies. I have heard new shows talk about how Depp burns through money. Some have estimated that in some years he has spent an average of $2 million a month. I hope with all the money he makes, he does not end up like Nicholas Cage financially.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom