Joker (1 Viewer)

Saw it this evening. Phoenix was fantastic. The musical score and his acting truly made the descent into full madness almost uncomfortable at times...so much so it was a relief and comedic when he finally 'arrived'

It thought it was pretty good. Fantastic performance by Joaquin Phoenix (he truly owned the screen) and some pretty good twists working it in with the Batman lore (loved the Zorro Easter egg).

Phoenix was definitely believable bridging the character from being mentally ill to homicidal -- when he recognizes the euphoria he receives from committing murder it provides a contrast to his earlier meeting with the shrink when he spoke of only having dark thoughts, like he recognizes a breakthrough in how to achieve personal happiness. I found it completely believable that this character could go on to become a cold blooded, maniacal mass murderer.

What I'm not sure about is whether this interpretation could go on to become a criminal mastermind. As well as they did depicting the development of his fetish for homicide, I don't think they illustrated any repressed brilliance within that would allow him to commit organized and developed criminal capers. Assuming this was just a one shot I guess we won't get to see how this Joker would cross that bridge.

I don't know. The Hangover should have been a one shot but Todd Philips went on to make 3 altogether.

I was thinking if they were to do a sequel it would be about him becoming more homidcidal and maniacal and his ascent to crime boss.

It thought it was pretty good. Fantastic performance by Joaquin Phoenix (he truly owned the screen) and some pretty good twists working it in with the Batman lore (loved the Zorro Easter egg).

Phoenix was definitely believable bridging the character from being mentally ill to homicidal -- when he recognizes the euphoria he receives from committing murder it provides a contrast to his earlier meeting with the shrink when he spoke of only having dark thoughts, like he recognizes a breakthrough in how to achieve personal happiness. I found it completely believable that this character could go on to become a cold blooded, maniacal mass murderer.

What I'm not sure about is whether this interpretation could go on to become a criminal mastermind. As well as they did depicting the development of his fetish for homicide, I don't think they illustrated any repressed brilliance within that would allow him to commit organized and developed criminal capers. Assuming this was just a one shot I guess we won't get to see how this Joker would cross that bridge.

Excellent movie and I have already seen it twice. I found it fully immersive and loved it. The combination of Phoenix, Phillips direction, the score, and the cinematography were amazing. Todd Phillips has been holding out on us and might finally be showing us his full potential.

I don't know. The Hangover should have been a one shot but Todd Philips went on to make 3 altogether.

I was thinking if they were to do a sequel it would be about him becoming more homidcidal and maniacal and his ascent to crime boss.
I think a Hangover sequel could’ve been good if it just didn’t repeat the original scene by scene.

This seems to be low key hating. It's getting stellar reviews.

No hating, decent to me is more or less stellar. :hihi:

If I was already working, I'd probably go see it, but since I haven't started yet, I'll have to settle for seeing it at home at some point.

It sounds good from what most are saying here, so I'm sorta looking forward to it. I guess with so many different versions of Joker over the years, another one can't hurt.

Have they said anything about sequels? That idea actually sounds pretty intriguing.

Have they said anything about sequels? That idea actually sounds pretty intriguing.

The idea of a Joker vs. Batman movie from the Joker's perspective is intriguing.

But there would be a lot more of Joker's story to tell before you got to that point.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom