Joker (1 Viewer)

you know....something doesn't jive here. there was all this outcry and panic that this movie would influence people to commit heinous acts

how can we confidently say that video games have no effect on the mental development and actions of people but that this movie could? that makes absolutely no sense
No, that was Justice League...

you know....something doesn't jive here. there was all this outcry and panic that this movie would influence people to commit heinous acts

how can we confidently say that video games have no effect on the mental development and actions of people but that this movie could? that makes absolutely no sense
mainstream media is the most detrimental societal influence on mental health

i'm still trying to figure out why it is wrong

Why what is wrong? Someone said "But there would be a lot more of Joker's story to tell before you got to that point," and I just pointed out that they've got plenty of time to cover. That gives them at least a decade of material to use before a potential Batman vs Joker movie.

Why what is wrong? Someone said "But there would be a lot more of Joker's story to tell before you got to that point," and I just pointed out that they've got plenty of time to cover. That gives them at least a decade of material to use before a potential Batman vs Joker movie.
to be honest, i don't even remember posting

It thought it was pretty good. Fantastic performance by Joaquin Phoenix (he truly owned the screen) and some pretty good twists working it in with the Batman lore (loved the Zorro Easter egg).

Phoenix was definitely believable bridging the character from being mentally ill to homicidal -- when he recognizes the euphoria he receives from committing murder it provides a contrast to his earlier meeting with the shrink when he spoke of only having dark thoughts, like he recognizes a breakthrough in how to achieve personal happiness. I found it completely believable that this character could go on to become a cold blooded, maniacal mass murderer.

What I'm not sure about is whether this interpretation could go on to become a criminal mastermind. As well as they did depicting the development of his fetish for homicide, I don't think they illustrated any repressed brilliance within that would allow him to commit organized and developed criminal capers. Assuming this was just a one shot I guess we won't get to see how this Joker would cross that bridge.
Summed up my thoughts 100%

I finally got around to seeing this last night. Wow, that was intense. I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish, even though Phoenix managed to make me slightly uncomfortable at times. I can't even imagine the kind of physical and mental toll that performance took on him.

I liked it as a movie about a guy losing what little marbles he has but not so much as a Joker origin story

and some of the ways they fit his story into the larger narrative felt out of place and forced

I think a sequel is doable. It’s a shame Harley Quinn is already defined by Suicide Squad. A movie where he spends half of it gaslighting and deconstructing a psychologist while planning a crime from within Arkham and the second half escaped as an unknowable symbol that the downtrodden rally to which results in the masses committing crimes would be a great story.

The idea that this Joker can’t plan well thoughtout crimes doesn’t fit for me. A person freed from fear, self-concern, and guilt is left with a lot of mental bandwidth for planning.

I watched this last night. As someone who is really not invested in the whole universe of these.characters, I really enjoyed it. That said, I can see the criticism that it is hard to imagine this character being capable of orchestrating any sort of genius planning.

Is it possible that the meds were holding him back?
Yes!
5e7e2f84230000cc0bc8bb64.gif

Holy cow, I turned this off after 45 minutes because of boredom.

Did it ever get better?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom