Jon Stewart returns to TV (1 Viewer)

Maybe he thinks he is neutral or tries to be but man, there were quite a few times Stewart, Colbert, many of his correspondents on the Daily Show came across as Obama administration cheerleaders in the same fashion, consistency, pattern they bashed Bush repeatedly (and rightfully, IMHO) for his many costly mistakes made during his administration. Obama was and should be viewed as a very good, solid president but Daily Show had the tendency to cover over his flaws, mistakes, controversial decisions made by him or members in his administration. The Wiki leaks/Edward Snowden controversy initially when it broke out, the 2012 Libyan Benghazi debacle which cost a sitting US ambassador his life, allowing Putin to walk over Obama and his entire State Department in his second term in 2013-14 and outmanuever him over the Crimean secession from Ukraine and being ceded back to Russian Federation and allowing Putin to fund, train secessionist militants inside Ukraine against their elected regime. Obama made himself look silly and out-of-touch at times when he downplayed the looming ISIS threat and attacks in European cities like Paris in October 2015 when one of their affiliated militant groups attacked the Bataclava nightclub, shooting it up and Obama goes on 60 Minutes and says these attacks were a sign of ISIS's weaknesses, not their increasing boldness, daring and increased confidence to attack civilian and soft targets in major European and American cities. That was such a incorrect, woefully inadequate interpretation of the serious existential threat ISIS posed back then and still do, in some respects.

The Daily Show almost became a actual parody of what they were initially created to call out and make fun of: the overt, direct media favoritism of FOX News and conservative talk radio hosts. They evolved into being the same sort of ideological cheerleaders they bashed FOX News so intensely and unmercifully for during Bush and Trump's administration. Their still doing it even now, even though I voted for Biden and support him on most of his major decisions as a pragmatist.

Stewart's main criticism of Obama was his reserved, and down right conservative nature. "Yes we can" really was nothing more then a campaign slogan. The reality of having a black president was transformative, and radical idea. Yet, Obama was the exact opposite. He never came close on delivering on many of his campaign promises despite having the power to do so. Stewart was not shy about his disappointment in the Obama administration. Stewart's criticism always centered around what went undone, and not the few mistakes. I do wonder if conservatives don't understand this critique because they did see Obama as radical.

Maybe he thinks he is neutral or tries to be but man, there were quite a few times Stewart, Colbert, many of his correspondents on the Daily Show came across as Obama administration cheerleaders in the same fashion, consistency, pattern they bashed Bush repeatedly (and rightfully, IMHO) for his many costly mistakes made during his administration. Obama was and should be viewed as a very good, solid president but Daily Show had the tendency to cover over his flaws, mistakes, controversial decisions made by him or members in his administration. The Wiki leaks/Edward Snowden controversy initially when it broke out, the 2012 Libyan Benghazi debacle which cost a sitting US ambassador his life, allowing Putin to walk over Obama and his entire State Department in his second term in 2013-14 and outmanuever him over the Crimean secession from Ukraine and being ceded back to Russian Federation and allowing Putin to fund, train secessionist militants inside Ukraine against their elected regime. Obama made himself look silly and out-of-touch at times when he downplayed the looming ISIS threat and attacks in European cities like Paris in October 2015 when one of their affiliated militant groups attacked the Bataclava nightclub, shooting it up and Obama goes on 60 Minutes and says these attacks were a sign of ISIS's weaknesses, not their increasing boldness, daring and increased confidence to attack civilian and soft targets in major European and American cities. That was such a incorrect, woefully inadequate interpretation of the serious existential threat ISIS posed back then and still do, in some respects.

The Daily Show almost became a actual parody of what they were initially created to call out and make fun of: the overt, direct media favoritism of FOX News and conservative talk radio hosts. They evolved into being the same sort of ideological cheerleaders they bashed FOX News so intensely and unmercifully for during Bush and Trump's administration. Their still doing it even now, even though I voted for Biden and support him on most of his major decisions as a pragmatist.
I don’t think Stewart is neutral
Nor do I think you are
There’s really no such thing

But I do think we all struggle with a post ‘fair and balanced’ propagandist tagline
There are precious few times when something is both fair and balanced
Most of the time is a calculus between the two
There are patently obvious reasons why an Obama administration would be evaluated differently that Bush or Trump that gave nothing to do with balance
(There are plenty of reasons to evaluate Bush and Trump fairly but unbalanced)

It was political, but much of it was parody. And it was very balanced to start...there was no holds barred for all politicians and public figures. But as time went on it became incredibly slanted. It goes from being funny to feeling like I'm watching a funnier version of MSNBC. Again...that's OK for some. John Oliver has had incredible success. But it's just not for me. I don't like politics...I like parody and comedy. I have a ton of respect for Jon Stewart as a person...but my time is very limited so I have to hit my spots on entertainment.

If you don't like politics, the Daily Show with Jon Stewart was never for you. As for the slant you mention, he gave it to everyone, but it wasn't CNN or MSNBC who decided to pick a fight with him. But to each their own.

If you don't like politics, the Daily Show with Jon Stewart was never for you. As for the slant you mention, he gave it to everyone, but it wasn't CNN or MSNBC who decided to pick a fight with him. But to each their own.

Interesting. Please tell me more about myself that I don’t know. What do you think that I should eat for breakfast today?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom