Jon Stewart returns to TV (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I like Trevor Noah a lot as well as his correspondents, but I miss hearing Jon Stewart's take on things
=======================================================
Jon Stewart is making a comeback! Over five years after he stepped down as host of Comedy Central's The Daily Show, the 57-year-old comedian and activist is returning to TV with an original current affairs series on Apple TV+ called The Problem With Jon Stewart.

The one-hour episodes, which debut this fall and will be hosted and executive produced by Stewart, will explore topics that are currently part of the national conversation and his advocacy work. In addition, each season of the series will be further explored in a companion podcast...............

Jon Stewart Returns to TV With 'The Problem With Jon Stewart' Show (msn.com)

Apple TV? Dang. I got Hulu, Disney+, Netflix, HBOMax, Prime, Peacock and Xfinity. I'm sorry, but I don't have room for Apple TV.

Yeah, when you hear about a show or movie you're really interested in will be available for 'streaming' it's this waiting game of which service will it be out on

My relationship has been a rollercoaster with Jon Stewart. Initially the show was amazing. One of the best thing about it is that it was relatively balanced. But as time went on it pretty much became what is the current John Oliver show. That’s fine for most people...but not for someone who doesn’t like politics on their free time. But I’ve loved his activism. If he can get back to trying to be at least somewhat neutral...I’d watch.

Last edited:
My relationship has been a rollercoaster with Jon Stewart. Initially the show was amazing. One of the best thing about it is that it was relatively balanced. But as time went on it pretty much because what is the current Jon Oliver show. That’s fine for most people...but not for someone who doesn’t like politics on their free time. But I’ve loved his activism. If he can get back to trying to be at least someone neutral...I’d watch.

He is neutral. He calls BS when he sees it. Neutral doesn't mean calling out an equal amount of BS. If one side is spewing the majority of the BS, they get called out more. That happens to be our current situation. Watching games in which the Saints are getting destroyed on the scoreboard isn't fun, but wanting the announcers "to be neutral" by ignoring all that the Saints are doing wrong wouldn't be logical even though it makes me feel bad. The announcers aren't the problem, my team is the problem.

Last edited:
My relationship has been a rollercoaster with Jon Stewart. Initially the show was amazing. One of the best thing about it is that it was relatively balanced. But as time went on it pretty much because what is the current Jon Oliver show. That’s fine for most people...but not for someone who doesn’t like politics on their free time. But I’ve loved his activism. If he can get back to trying to be at least somewhat neutral...I’d watch.

When was the show not about politics when Stewart was there?

When was the show not about politics when Stewart was there?

It was political, but much of it was parody. And it was very balanced to start...there was no holds barred for all politicians and public figures. But as time went on it became incredibly slanted. It goes from being funny to feeling like I'm watching a funnier version of MSNBC. Again...that's OK for some. John Oliver has had incredible success. But it's just not for me. I don't like politics...I like parody and comedy. I have a ton of respect for Jon Stewart as a person...but my time is very limited so I have to hit my spots on entertainment.

Apple TV? Dang. I got Hulu, Disney+, Netflix, HBOMax, Prime, Peacock and Xfinity. I'm sorry, but I don't have room for Apple TV.

So, you “cut the cord “ to plug in and pay for 7 more cords? I still struggle with this mindset. Certainly not a fan of cable but the models of all these streaming services are similar. Deliver the “drug” and once the consumer is hooked, keep “nickel and diming” then to add options.
Probably another discussion that should have its own thread, but I just don’t get it. And, what happened to all my UHF channels?

He is neutral. He calls BS when he sees it. Neutral doesn't mean calling out an equal amount of BS. If one side is spewing the majority of the BS, they get called out more. That happens to be our current situation. Watching games in which the Saints are getting destroyed on the scoreboard isn't fun, but wanting the announcers "to be neutral" by ignoring all that the Saints are doing wrong wouldn't be logical even though it makes me feel bad. The announcers aren't the problem, my team is the problem.
Maybe he thinks he is neutral or tries to be but man, there were quite a few times Stewart, Colbert, many of his correspondents on the Daily Show came across as Obama administration cheerleaders in the same fashion, consistency, pattern they bashed Bush repeatedly (and rightfully, IMHO) for his many costly mistakes made during his administration. Obama was and should be viewed as a very good, solid president but Daily Show had the tendency to cover over his flaws, mistakes, controversial decisions made by him or members in his administration. The Wiki leaks/Edward Snowden controversy initially when it broke out, the 2012 Libyan Benghazi debacle which cost a sitting US ambassador his life, allowing Putin to walk over Obama and his entire State Department in his second term in 2013-14 and outmanuever him over the Crimean secession from Ukraine and being ceded back to Russian Federation and allowing Putin to fund, train secessionist militants inside Ukraine against their elected regime. Obama made himself look silly and out-of-touch at times when he downplayed the looming ISIS threat and attacks in European cities like Paris in October 2015 when one of their affiliated militant groups attacked the Bataclava nightclub, shooting it up and Obama goes on 60 Minutes and says these attacks were a sign of ISIS's weaknesses, not their increasing boldness, daring and increased confidence to attack civilian and soft targets in major European and American cities. That was such a incorrect, woefully inadequate interpretation of the serious existential threat ISIS posed back then and still do, in some respects.

The Daily Show almost became a actual parody of what they were initially created to call out and make fun of: the overt, direct media favoritism of FOX News and conservative talk radio hosts. They evolved into being the same sort of ideological cheerleaders they bashed FOX News so intensely and unmercifully for during Bush and Trump's administration. Their still doing it even now, even though I voted for Biden and support him on most of his major decisions as a pragmatist.

So, you “cut the cord “ to plug in and pay for 7 more cords? I still struggle with this mindset. Certainly not a fan of cable but the models of all these streaming services are similar. Deliver the “drug” and once the consumer is hooked, keep “nickel and diming” then to add options.
Probably another discussion that should have its own thread, but I just don’t get it. And, what happened to all my UHF channels?

You're under the impression I cut the cord or was trying to cut the cord. Cord cutting just has never been a practical solution for my family yet. I have Netflix and Disney+ because I like the original programming. I have Prime because it's part of the Amazon Prime membership. I have Peacock and Tubi, etc because it comes with Xfinity. I have Hulu because it came with Disney+. It seems our motivations for streaming are different .

I had DTV until we moved to Atlanta, the land of a bazillion trees. They don't really talk about it much but you get here it and it's all hills and forests. It's a damn bird paradise. I've seen hawks, falcons, and owls in my backyard. In the Spring, my backyard sounds like something Disney would use for Snow White. There's a reason why Atlanta's mascots are what they are. Hawks and Falcons, for what I just stated and Brave for anyone willing to move here and deal with the traffic. But I digress...

Started Xfinity when I got here and although it's expensive. It's still the most reliable form of internet here. Plus, their wireless boxes just makes it too damn easy to put TVs where ever I want throughout the house. Now that Xfinity syncs with hulu, netflix, hbomax and Disney+, I don't ever have to change platforms, it's all in one place with one remote. I say the name of the movie or TV show and it comes on. No switching inputs. No special remotes or tvs. I can be watching Falcon and the Winter Soldier on Disney+ and switch to The Boys on Prime by pressing one button and saying 2 words. I like easy.

I'm not a fan of Apple to begin with and as much as I like Jon Stewart, he's not enough for me to make the move. It would take the NFL being on AppleTV. Scratch that...it would take them having exclusive rights to Saints games.

Apple TV clearly exists but I certainly don't know anyone that has it nor have I ever so much glimpsed a discussion occurring about a show that airs on it.

Apple TV clearly exists but I certainly don't know anyone that has it nor have I ever so much glimpsed a discussion occurring about a show that airs on it.

Ted Lasso

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom