Article Jon Williams impresses with pass protection skills (1 Viewer)

Thunderchild

Flock Up!
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
CSP and Brees are impressed with Williams as a pass protector as well as runner. Good article.
He's a guy with good vision; he'll get what's blocked," Saints coach Sean Payton said. "We just have to keep giving him those opportunities."

Williams already has one of the prerequisites for the job.

A back in Ingram's role has to be able to help keep Drew Brees clean, and for a running back with so little NFL experience, Williams has proven more than capable.

"Once the pads come on, he is an impressive guy," Saints quarterback Drew Brees said. "He has run the ball extremely well, but I think more so than that he has stuck his nose in there in pass protection better than anybody I have seen in a while.
Jonathan Williams emerging as dark horse in Saints' running back competition

Tell me why we should go with older backup running backs as opposed to Williams, Scott, and Edmunds. If Williams can pass protect, that should seal the deal in my estimation, assuming he has some ability to catch passes.

Tell me why we should go with older backup running backs as opposed to Williams, Scott, and Edmunds. If Williams can pass protect, that should seal the deal in my estimation, assuming he has some ability to catch passes.

AARP, we should go with the best RBs and the best fits regardless of age.

Williams seems to have been the consensus pick here on SR to win that 3rd or 4th RB roster spot this offseason. Here's to hoping he looks as good vs the 1's as he has vs the scrubs he's faced so far.

If he can protect I think he'll probably get playing time even after ingram comes back.

Ok. I am happy for him. Great. However being a little bit of a downer here. Remember this...One preseason game, late in the fourth quarter against 4th string players with only 4 carries. It is great we see a little spark in a stagnant competition for the 3rd or 4th running back so far this training camp. But I hold off until I see it in the next 2 or 3 preseason games. But I am happy he is getting the confidence for himself and from his teammates.

That is great to hear. Pass pro and special teams may be two huge reasons for keeping some of these RBs.

Ok. I am happy for him. Great. However being a little bit of a downer here. Remember this...One preseason game, late in the fourth quarter against 4th string players with only 4 carries. It is great we see a little spark in a stagnant competition for the 3rd or 4th running back so far this training camp. But I hold off until I see it in the next 2 or 3 preseason games. But I am happy he is getting the confidence for himself and from his teammates.
I absolutely agree with you. One pre season game tells us little if anything. But what interests me about this is that his coach and qb also see him in practice daily. At this point, that means much more than one game or the opinion of we fans and/or the media..

But even with that, your point still stands. All we can do is digest what we hear and share it here on the forum for discussion. The entire team is still a work in progress as is the battle for the BU rb spot.

Last edited:
Yeah, he was playing fourth string defenders, but he was also playing behind 4th string offensive linemen and on two of those carries they were stacking the boxes IIRC.

If he can cut it in pass pro that's all we need. Would love to see what he can do catching some passes but with Brees' accuracy it's not like he has to have Reggie Bush level hands to make an impact in the passing game.

I love that in terms of play, it took like two runs for me to be like "yeah, he's the one."

It was very similar to Mike Bell, Khiry Robinson, or Chris Ivory way back in the day.

If Drew Brees and the coaches are praising Williams that's even better than a pre-season game for me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom