Article Jon Williams impresses with pass protection skills (1 Viewer)

I'm a big fan of Williams. I think he's head and shoulders the best pure RB, after AK and Mark. The dude runs with anger and fury. Glad to see he's making as much noise as he is making on the field and in practice. Hope he gets more opportunities to solidify himself over the next few preseason games.

Last edited:
If Drew Brees and the coaches are praising Williams that's even better than a pre-season game for me.
That plus I think it was telling that Williams got the nod over Scott for touches late in the game. I really believe that we are going to give Williams every chance at securing the replacement role for Ingram.

Williams seems to have been the consensus pick here on SR to win that 3rd or 4th RB roster spot this offseason. Here's to hoping he looks as good vs the 1's as he has vs the scrubs he's faced so far.

I would love to see a Chris Ivory scenario play out. Not specially in how Williams runs but I remember that year that Ivory was a UDFA making some plays early. And in the preseason he ran so well against the 3s and 4s - he kept moving up and had that crazy game in week 3 and by the end of preseason we all knew we had a player.

That statement from Brees about protection is significant. If Brees feels comfortable with him being in the backfield he sticks. While I know Drew isn’t the type to make demands about a player, if he’s catching Payton’s eye, and Brees is comfortable, let’s hope Williams keeps at it because he may be our week 1-4 replacement b

That statement from Brees about protection is significant. If Brees feels comfortable with him being in the backfield he sticks. While I know Drew isn’t the type to make demands about a player, if he’s catching Payton’s eye, and Brees is comfortable, let’s hope Williams keeps at it because he may be our week 1-4 replacement b

The question that has been popping up all offseason has been, "which of these RBs will prove that they can block on passing downs?" They can all "run" or they wouldn't be here. This news that he is impressing as in pass-protection definitely puts a star by his name. Barring a set-back or another RB absolutely blowing up over the next couple weeks, he's probably in the lead for that #3 spot. Brees saying that Williams looks better in pass-pro than any RB he's seen in a long while is about as huge an endorsement as a player can get.

Williams' college tape, "running" the ball, was the most impressive of all the young backs. If he'd have entered the draft as a junior, he'd have likely been an mid-round pick. Staying in school for his senior season badly hurt his stock. He was injured early in the season and became an after-thought during the draft. So beyond being this year's #3, he has the pedigree to become a legit NFL running back. That could be huge for him and the team going forward depending on how things turn out with Ingram after this season.

How he uses his blocks and his running style should translate well as a kick returner. More you can do the better chance you have to stick

What do you mean when you say pedigree?

Pedigree might have been a bad word there. What I was saying is that if not for the rash of injuries his senior year, he would have been a high draft pick. He has the body and the tools of a 1st or 2nd round RB.

That run where he emerged out of a pile was awesome. I think they got him a touchdown later as well. Kamara, Ingram, and Williams looked good in the first preseason game.

Edmunds may make the team off his special teams play.

Scott will make the team or practice squad. I think drafted players cannot be picked off the practice squad the first year, so can see him red shirt.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom