Saints Jonathan Vilma appreciation (1 Viewer)

xardoz

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Slow news day...

I was watching the 2009 Superbowl and the Colts drive at 1:14:00-1:15:00. Vilma is amazing that drive. The 3rd and 11 play he called and even was in position for an interception. He backpedaled, flipped and had position on Austin Collie. AMAZING linebacker play. That would be a great play by a CB.

The I looked at many of his plays throughout his career. He was a complete linebacker.
In his after-football life, I still enjoy him. When he does analysis, he is well spoken and does not get that all-in-your face acting going on that I see several analysts get into.

One of the smartest linebackers to ever play the game. I don’t know why he never got as much credit for it as Keuchly did.
Because Carolina was known for defense. Had Brees not been the QB, he would have gotten more recognition.

One of the smartest linebackers to ever play the game. I don’t know why he never got as much credit for it as Keuchly did.
I think it's because of the injuries and those defenses were never really stout.

He was one of the best I ever saw when it came to pre snap adjustments. The QB would change the play and Vilma would start signaling to the defense. Most of the time he'd put the guys in the perfect position to make the play because he knew what was coming. Now a lot of that was hours and hours of film study but some of it was just innate football instincts. His football IQ was off the charts.

Vilma was the quintessential leader of the defense. It was really unfair that he became the face of Bounty Gate and a lot of people will always associate him with that.

Vilma was interviewed last night on WWL Radio. Related an interesting story about Gregg Williams on the sideline at the half of SB 44. Said GW asked him how he felt at the half. When he told him he felt good, GW responded with something like, "Well, that's good because I really don't know what to call anymore. I don't know what Manning is gonna do. Keep making me look good." :LOL:

GW was enough of a lunatic to have told him that, indeed. Perhaps a head game with Vilma to keep him on his toes. I don't fault either man for the bounty fiasco, btw. I fault the kind of commish we've been stuck with for 14 years for that one. And the owners for whom he works!

He was one of the best I ever saw when it came to pre snap adjustments. The QB would change the play and Vilma would start signaling to the defense. Most of the time he'd put the guys in the perfect position to make the play because he knew what was coming. Now a lot of that was hours and hours of film study but some of it was just innate football instincts. His football IQ was off the charts.

Vilma was the quintessential leader of the defense. It was really unfair that he became the face of Bounty Gate and a lot of people will always associate him with that.

He reminded me of the Field Mouse. It seemed that there was real good communication between the linebackers when Vilma was in - he Shanle and Fujita seemed to be on the same page.

Xardoz: Our team defense would have been down several levels WITHOUT Jonathan Vilma.

Interesting that our two best MLB's in team history (Mills & Vilma) both wore #51.

a. FIVE letters in their last name, and

b. Both were #1

5 + 1 = #51 :ezbill:

:gosaints:

Vilma was amazing at calling defensive audibles. I don’t think the defense has called an audible since he retired. I love that in the Super Bowl, he would let Manning call an offensive audible and then he would quickly call a defensive audible. He was smart but he also had talent.
I wanted the Saints to pick him coming out of college and was ecstatic when they got him in free agency. If only they could convince him to coach. I can’t imagine what kind of DC he would be.

Xardoz: Our team defense would have been down several levels WITHOUT Jonathan Vilma.

Interesting that our two best MLB's in team history (Mills & Vilma) both wore #51.

a. FIVE letters in their last name, and

b. Both were #1

5 + 1 = #51 :ezbill:

:gosaints:

and don’t forget that they were both in their prime when they were 28 and they each went to at least 3 Probowls.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom