Jordan Love vs Ian Book (2 Viewers)

Love has not been impressive thus far. Honestly, I never thought he would be great and the "leader" of his team is a prick that I doubt takes the time to really groom him and give him wisdom. Rodgers is not a great guy to sit and learn from.

Book missed the chance to really learn from Drew. I'm sure they had a convo or two, but he didn't get to see Drew work. Jameis did and by all accounts his work habits have changed since that experience. Like Drew, he's the last one on the field throwing after practice and he's beating guys to the building. Even some of his teammates have stated he's the hardest working person they've played with.

My point is, being the understudy of greatness can greatly improve a player's performance. I would have expected Love to have grown more, but I'm not shocked at his development because of who he has to watch in practice. A diva QB who has an elite arm to thank for his career. When it comes to the things that are immeasurable like leadership, mentorship, and accountability, Love hasn't had the best example.

The Saints organization as a whole does not operate this way and I think that's why you see similar stats between the two even though Love was the better "prospect" and has more natural talent than Book. There are many folks, including all of our QBs, that have the "iron sharpens iron" mindset.

I
I think I agree with this assessment.

It almost feels like the pick was made, in part, to leverage the contract negotiations with Rodgers. Although I suspect that backfired, given what Love has shown to date.
Well, when a QB gets up there in age, you never know when their play will take a dive, regardless of who they are. I just think they wanted to recreate the Farve/Rodgers scenario, where the young stud learns from a HOFer, and builds a fire inside of him wanting to get into the field. Like a “show me” how much you want it and make this decision easier for us (GB). That hasn’t happened with Love. Now, they are paying $50 million a year to Rodgers, no real receiving options, and lost some good defensive pieces bc of that contract. All bc Love hasn’t taken that next step, which shouldn’t be a hard one for a player that’s been waiting in the wings for awhile now. He just doesn’t have it. So, yes you are correct. It has completely backfired for now. They can always hit the reset button when that contract comes off of the books. So, it may not all be doom and gloom in the near future. Rodgers won’t play for much longer. That recent interview he did, sounded like he has one foot out of the door, and ready to hit the DMT on a daily basis.

Love didn’t look great…but I’m not sure how that builds up Book. I actually watched the game…can’t pull the wool over my eyes. If the Saints wanted a guy who can hand the ball off, run for their life, fumble, and throw the ball to the other team…just pull someone out of the Superdome stands if they need an emergency #3 QB. No need to waste a valuable roster spot.
People have started to rescind their Ian Book fan club memberships, I see. (Not speaking to OP personally here). In 2 years people will turn in their Alontae Taylor draft fandom memberships and swear they never had one in the first place. LOL.

Love has not been impressive thus far. Honestly, I never thought he would be great and the "leader" of his team is a prick that I doubt takes the time to really groom him and give him wisdom. Rodgers is not a great guy to sit and learn from.

Book missed the chance to really learn from Drew. I'm sure they had a convo or two, but he didn't get to see Drew work. Jameis did and by all accounts his work habits have changed since that experience. Like Drew, he's the last one on the field throwing after practice and he's beating guys to the building. Even some of his teammates have stated he's the hardest working person they've played with.

My point is, being the understudy of greatness can greatly improve a player's performance. I would have expected Love to have grown more, but I'm not shocked at his development because of who he has to watch in practice. A diva QB who has an elite arm to thank for his career. When it comes to the things that are immeasurable like leadership, mentorship, and accountability, Love hasn't had the best example.

The Saints organization as a whole does not operate this way and I think that's why you see similar stats between the two even though Love was the better "prospect" and has more natural talent than Book. There are many folks, including all of our QBs, that have the "iron sharpens iron" mindset.
Isn't it the job of the coaches to "groom" players?

Not related but awesome.

Attachments

• IMG_20220826_105613204.jpg
    IMG_20220826_105613204.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 6
Love has always been a boom or bust project and he still is. With a guy like Book, you were hoping for a much higher floor even if his ceiling is limited. Unfortunately Book hasn’t shown the kind of polish we thought he were getting when he was drafted. That’s probably the most disappointing part as a fan. He has a much longer way to go than anyone could have imagined.

I don't know if this was intended as a pro-Book thread, but what I took from it is the Packers are completely screwed if Rodgers retires after this season.

Love has shown a lot of improvement. I think he could end up being a Garappolo-type QB at some point. Book is clearly not an NFL QB.

Isn't it the job of the coaches to "groom" players?
Yes, but ideally you would hope your veterans would mentor the younger players. That's what being a good teammate is all about.

Have you watched our preseason games and seen our vets tutoring the younger guys on the sidelines? If Rodgers gets hurt and has to miss 5 weeks he shouldn't want the season to be derailed so his backup being competent works towards his own legacy. There's a reason we were so successful when Drew was out. Neither Teddy or Taysom are undefeated type of starters.

Yes, but ideally you would hope your veterans would mentor the younger players. That's what being a good teammate is all about.

Have you watched our preseason games and seen our vets tutoring the younger guys on the sidelines? If Rodgers gets hurt and has to miss 5 weeks he shouldn't want the season to be derailed so his backup being competent works towards his own legacy. There's a reason we were so successful when Drew was out. Neither Teddy or Taysom are undefeated type of starters.

Veteran players giving pointers (which is not really tutoring) to rookie players on the sideline is great, but it is the coaches who are getting paid to develop the players; that is literally their job; it is not the starter QB's responsibility to make sure the backup QB is ready to play should he get hurt, it is the coaches' and the backup QB's responsibility to make sure the backup QB is ready, and getting pointers from the starter on the sideline is not going to cut it.

Veteran players giving pointers (which is not really tutoring) to rookie players on the sideline is great, but it is the coaches who are getting paid to develop the players; that is literally their job; it is not the starter QB's responsibility to make sure the backup QB is ready to play should he get hurt, it is the coaches' and the backup QB's responsibility to make sure the backup QB is ready, and getting pointers from the starter on the sideline is not going to cut it.
He's been there for years. There's been way more opportunities than just sideline time.

This happens on regular jobs as well. They hire someone and ask other employees to let the new person shadow them to learn. Now, as a teammate you can choose to just let them watch you in action or you can let them watch you and then spend time teaching them as well. Great teammates will go the extra mile.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom